Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunky

shuhockey

Dec 2, 2019
UK
Over the last two weeks (Got the car middle of March), I've gone outside to find my frunk open three times. I have an outdoor cam so can see it pop open, without anyone touching it. I'm almost certain it isn't myself or wife accidentally pressing the button on your android phones, as you need to first press open frunk and then press again to confirm. Obviously the car isn't driven much at the moment. I did drive about 10 miles yesterday but only used the boot. Anyone had this problem or any suggestions, or it is just a case of raising a service request?

shuhockey

Dec 2, 2019
UK
Thanks. I have booked a ranger. I've also slightly screwed in the plastic bumpers on the frunk lid. It could have been that these were too far out so causing too much pressure on the latch??

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Thanks. I have booked a ranger. I've also slightly screwed in the plastic bumpers on the frunk lid. It could have been that these were too far out so causing too much pressure on the latch??

I would be surprised if that was the cause. There have been one or two instances of frunk latch failure, but usually resulting in an inability to open it. Definitely best to get it checked out before that happens! From what you say I take it the frunk hasn't unlatched whilst driving?

shuhockey

Dec 2, 2019
UK
I would be surprised if that was the cause. There have been one or two instances of frunk latch failure, but usually resulting in an inability to open it. Definitely best to get it checked out before that happens! From what you say I take it the frunk hasn't unlatched whilst driving?
No not yet!

Keeper

May 16, 2019
Surrey GB
I have had it happen twice, within days of each other a few months ago but it hasn’t reoccurred. I was told on here that it couldn’t happen because you have to ‘confirm’ that you want to open the frunk with a second tap on the app, which is true. I put it down to poltergeists at the time but interesting that it’s happened to someone else. :cool:

Alex987854

Aug 30, 2019
UK
I have had it happen twice, within days of each other a few months ago but it hasn’t reoccurred. I was told on here that it couldn’t happen because you have to ‘confirm’ that you want to open the frunk with a second tap on the app, which is true. I put it down to poltergeists at the time but interesting that it’s happened to someone else. :cool:

If you click on it from the notification bar, you don't need to confirm.
Screenshot_20200429-011930.png

Rustybkts

Feb 8, 2020
Leicestershire
That is a scary problem as it doesn't have the mechanical latch that I thought was obligatory for front opening bonnets. It must surely be a false triggering of the latch that you would hope is impossible when driving.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
It must surely be a false triggering of the latch that you would hope is impossible when driving.

Yes, it's normally impossible during driving... also, hopefully, the design fails to a safe state with the secondary latch holding the bonnet down (like all other vehicles) ... it would be surprising if it was otherwise. I'm sure we would have heard before now if the bonnet/frunk lid had been torn off whilst driving along! It happens once in a blue moon for other vehicles despite the safety designs so it's certainly a priority for a fix!

Rustybkts

Feb 8, 2020
Leicestershire
You mean mechanical release handle? The latch is mechanical that is motor actuated...
Pretty sure that system cannot operate while the car is driven, so I think you are ok there.

I mean the secondary latch you normally have to hunt for under the bonnet that stops it flying up if the main latch isn't locked properly.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
I mean the secondary latch you normally have to hunt for under the bonnet that stops it flying up if the main latch isn't locked properly.

It does have that latch. It's just that its operated by a motor/relay when you are stationary.

Last edited:

Rustybkts

Feb 8, 2020
Leicestershire
Ok, I hadn't realised that. belt and braces I guess. I hate that second latch as I can never remember where it is with all the various cars in my family.
I didn't fit one originally on my Vortex EV home build and I rued the day when it flew up due to too much shopping in the front (frunk?) and smashed the windscreen. Amazingly it didn't damage the bonnet apart from the odd scratch and insurance replaced the windscreen as stone damage.

Reactions: Adopado

VanillaAir_UK

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
That's a good spot. Perhaps shuhockey should disable the notification in their phone settings and see if the situation resolves before calling for service visit?

It may not need a service visit. Tesla can fault find remotely (as they did with our windows not closing occasionally) and potentially fix it remotely too - our windows have not opened since Tesla have started to pay a bit more attention to our car due to an upcoming service visit for that and other faults.

Worse that can happen is for Tesla to say no fault found, user opened trunk by mistake. They may even find and fix the error remotely.

I think logging a service issue in the app will lead to a quicker and less uncertain resolution.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up

shuhockey

Dec 2, 2019
UK
Logged yesterday and had a message this morning to ask what time it happened so that they can check remotely. Luckily I had the exact time it opened yesterday and they seem happy with that. Hopefully with this they will be able to see what triggered the opening.

Chalks99

Nov 4, 2019
UK
Logged yesterday and had a message this morning to ask what time it happened so that they can check remotely. Luckily I had the exact time it opened yesterday and they seem happy with that. Hopefully with this they will be able to see what triggered the opening.
Had the same problem last night, woke up to find Frunk wide open

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC