Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrated by Dual Motor Delay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can understand the frustration, but when we say there is a delay, does that imply Tesla made a promise about when the awd model would be available, or is there an assumption that it would be available at release along with all other trim levels?

I don't know EM personally but because of the company's high profile/ publicity, I think Tesla will have a few AWD models by Spring 2018 as he had mentioned but no clue when earliest reservation holders will get theirs. Sounds like July- September would be earliest and maybe in very limited quantities while RWD production ramps up even more.

Wall Street doesn't distinguish between AWD and RWD sales so Tesla will produce a lot more RWD if there is huge demand and if it takes a significant amount of time to build them. AWD still has to be tested for reliability.

I don't know EM personally but because of the company's high profile/ publicity, I think Tesla will have a few AWD models by Spring 2018 as he had mentioned but no clue when earliest reservation holders will get theirs. Sounds like July- September would be earliest and maybe in very limited quantities while RWD production ramps up even more.
My Tesla says June-Aug. I know Elon doesn't have the best record of hitting delivery dates but hope springs eternal here in Colorado. Come on June!

Reactions: internalaudit
My Tesla says June-Aug. I know Elon doesn't have the best record of hitting delivery dates but hope springs eternal here in Colorado. Come on June!

Good for you. :) I'm sure Tesla will delivery a few hundred AWD's for every delivery tranche so the public cannot maligned the company and say they failed to hit its target and disappointed prospective customers.

Tesla is almost like a human celebrity whose market value keeps increasing because of good news here and there. Until another celebrity(ies) captures the limelight, Tesla will be basking under the sun at least for the next few years.

I have a March 31 reservation and live in Ohio. This means that I could potentially get a RWD car either late 2017 or early 2018--likely within the full Federal tax credit window.

View attachment 240926

Unfortunately, it seems that by the time a dual motor version of the car is available for purchase, the Federal tax credit may be $1,750, down from $7,500. Assuming that the dual motor upgrade is $5,000, it would effectively cost $10,750. I would love to get a Model 3 sooner, but I simply can't go with a RWD car, regardless of how well people claim RWD Tesla vehicles handle in the snow. There is a reason auto makers ship very few RWD cars to areas that get snow. I understand the "production hell" explanation, but the full year delay is pretty frustrating, particularly when the result is that those of us with March 31 orders who require AWD miss out on most of the tax credit while others who ordered much later, but do not live in areas with heavy snow, jump ahead in line.

Of all of the noted complaints on this site regarding the design, delivery or cost of the Model 3, this is issue that frustrates me most by far. I can't be alone on this, right?

You are not alone! I live in upstate NY where snow and ice start in November and continue through the end of March. On the other hand, my financial plan for purchase of the Model 3 was based on receiving the $7500 tax rebate. So, I may have to go with RWD and plan on keeping my Audi Quarto for use in the snow and ice.

Just to clarify:

-The $7500 lasts through the end of the quarter they hit 200k and one more quarter: so if they hit it in early January it would be June 30, 2018.

-The $3750 lasts for TWO MORE QUARTERS after that: so in this scenario December 31, 2018.
-And finally the $1875 until 6/30/19.

Move all this up one quarter if they manage to hit 200k by the end of this year, but it's looking more and more doubtful.

It's also important to mention that the full $7500 would also only last until June 30 2018, if they hit 200k in March. The only way to prolong it, would be hitting 200k in April, but that is highly unlikely. Equally unlikely would be Q4 2017. With that information calculating the potential tax credit, based on your expected delivery date, shouldn't be too hard.

So for everyone wondering if they should wait or not: June 30th 2018 is most certainly the date to look for, as well as December 31st 2018.

I have a March 31 reservation and live in Ohio. This means that I could potentially get a RWD car either late 2017 or early 2018--likely within the full Federal tax credit window.

View attachment 240926

Unfortunately, it seems that by the time a dual motor version of the car is available for purchase, the Federal tax credit may be $1,750, down from $7,500. Assuming that the dual motor upgrade is $5,000, it would effectively cost $10,750. I would love to get a Model 3 sooner, but I simply can't go with a RWD car, regardless of how well people claim RWD Tesla vehicles handle in the snow. There is a reason auto makers ship very few RWD cars to areas that get snow. I understand the "production hell" explanation, but the full year delay is pretty frustrating, particularly when the result is that those of us with March 31 orders who require AWD miss out on most of the tax credit while others who ordered much later, but do not live in areas with heavy snow, jump ahead in line.

Of all of the noted complaints on this site regarding the design, delivery or cost of the Model 3, this is issue that frustrates me most by far. I can't be alone on this, right?
I agree with you. I am waiting to see prices but not sure i will buy model 3 as my model s 70d with 15k miles is so awesome.
Looks like any model 3 will be a downgrade

View attachment 240926

Maybe sometime next year there will be legislation (at least in California) to do something for Tesla as part of the effort to continue encourage EV growth while other car makers taking their sweet time.

But you can also consider a Model S with AWD. With $7500 credit now (and $2500 in Calif + $500 from utility like PG&E), it's gonna be only slight more than top of the line Model 3. Alliant CU is offering 0.99% APR also thru end of September also I think. So you don't have to wait to get a better car now, and still can keep your reservation around for 2-3 years until Model 3 has matured with latest features.
And if you like this idea, feel free to use my referral code for another $1K off plus unlimited supercharing: My Tesla Referral Code

I think it sux, but it should be better than the OP stated. If Elon is going to begat loyalty with loyalty, then there is no way he will sell that 200,000th car in December, he'd hold back some if necessary. That should get us the full credit until the end of June, and half until the end of the year. So AWD will only be $3750 + <5000. A crappy situation that has this MN boy ordering RWD. I was trying to decide earlier if I'd pay up to 5k for it, but I know I won't pay 8k.

I asked my Model S owning friend about this a few days ago. He said when he got his Signature edition Model S (RWD), he was amazed at how well it handled winter driving here in Minnesota. But, then he traded it in on a P90D, and was even more amazed at how much better it was than the RWD version.

So, I'm waiting for AWD, if that means I have to wait another six to nine months, I guess I'll wait.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit