Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrated with multiple keyfobs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple trick: while approaching the car (before it auto-opens with easy entry) quickly open it from a distance with your keyfob (a rapid double squeeze on the front pocket should do it) and the car will know that it's you and not your wife taking control.

If you leave your wife in the car, leave also your keyfob, so the car will think that you are still in and will not change the seat settings when you get back in.
I was going to make the same suggestion... passenger leave their keys in the house... or driver double tap the unlock button to let the car know who's driving (if it works that way?)

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue since my wife does not carry the other Tesla key, but doesn't the Easy Entry profile solve this? I have my Easy Entry profile setup with the seat all the way back and up, and the steering wheel all the way in and up. My driver profile isn't activated until I'm seated and hit the brake pedal. I'd have plenty of time to choose the correct profile before being crushed.

Easy Entry DOES solve some of this but it's more like a trap in waiting. I have the same issue as the OP. When I get in, the seat begins to move forward like normal. But it often thinks that my wife is in the driver's seat and will proceed to crush me against the steering wheel until I figure it out. I end up frantically button mashing the profile setting to select my driver's profile before I have the life squeezed out of me.

• Love
Reactions: appleguru
Easy Entry DOES solve some of this but it's more like a trap in waiting. I have the same issue as the OP. When I get in, the seat begins to move forward like normal. But it often thinks that my wife is in the driver's seat and will proceed to crush me against the steering wheel until I figure it out. I end up frantically button mashing the profile setting to select my driver's profile before I have the life squeezed out of me.

That makes sense. Though I'm still confused by the OP who says that he cannot even get into the car because the seat is already in his wife's position. It sounds like Easy Entry is not setup in his case.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
If you decide to select a pouch to block reception by on of the remotes, an empty Colgate toothpaste (made of aluminum) does the trick and is very robust, much more so than aluminum foil. My wife found thought of that "clean" and nice smelling solution.

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm
Maybe different year vehicles behave differently, but the seats in my 2018 S do not move from the Easy Entry position until the brake pedal is pressed.
Pretty sure this is how our 3 works (GF drives it 99% of the time, I'll ask her tonight...).

It would be nice if the sensors could determine 'where' a fob was (for the S and X), but I still think there's too much variation (or too little) for it to work. And for a 3, it would have to look at where the phone is. The correct side of the charging dock!? :D

So, I don't use Easy Entry.
My last car had this, and after 3 years, the seat had a "tough time" getting to the correct position, I felt like I had worn out the motor...
These motors were originally designed for "set and forget", not move back and forth several times per day while a large (and probably ugly) person is sitting in them.

So, I don't use Easy Entry, and so the seat will start moving the moment I open the driver's door.
I'll open the door for my wife, let her sit down and then close her door. When I go around to my door, the seat "looks" in the correct position, but when I open the door, it moves out of the way, leaving me to fail to get in, or bang my head, or something else that's amusing for the wife.

It would be great if the system was smart enough to figure out that when the passenger occupies the seat before the driver, don't move the drivers seat until asked. IFTTT could probably do that...

So, I don't use Easy Entry.

Does your wife drive the Tesla often? If so, then you're moving the seat on a regular basis anyway, so you might as well use Easy Entry. If she doesn't drive it that often, then tell her to only carry the key when she needs to drive it.

I find it hard to expect that any vehicle would be able to pinpoint the location of multiple keys in its interior, and then adjust the seats accordingly.

I personally plan to have this car under warranty for the entire time I own it, so if a seat motor fails it will be Tesla's responsibility to fix it.