Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrated with Part delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi All,

So my 2016 Model S had an incident and is currently in a body shop for repairs (Tesla Certified). The Body Shop is saying that currently there is no ETA from Tesla with regards to the fender. The car has been sitting in the shop for two months and looks like it may sit there forever. Anyone else has encountered and has some feedback on who to contact in Tesla for this.

Thanks

Atif...

hi All,

So my 2016 Model S had an incident and is currently in a body shop for repairs (Tesla Certified). The Body Shop is saying that currently there is no ETA from Tesla with regards to the fender. The car has been sitting in the shop for two months and looks like it may sit there forever. Anyone else has encountered and has some feedback on who to contact in Tesla for this.

Thanks

Atif...
Yup. My Model Y took 2-3 months for a windshield to become available. This was last summer.

I can only imagine things have gotten worse since then. Especially for legacy vehicles.

Sadly, there is really no one to contact, no escalation path, etc. this is by design.

Tesla does not care about servicing or fixing vehicles that have already been sold. All they care about is sales of new vehicles.

Reactions: Cheburashka
It is unfortunately the entire automotive supply chain (I work in automotive). There's a world wide shortage of almost every raw material from alloys to polymers and it is affecting OE and aftermarket alike. As a company, we are doing better than others but still behind on our normal fill rate performance due to both the material shortages and orders exceeding current production capacity.
It's really not Tesla this time and there's probably very little they can or will do for single car component issues.

Reactions: Russell
Yup. My Model Y took 2-3 months for a windshield to become available. This was last summer.

I can only imagine things have gotten worse since then. Especially for legacy vehicles.

Sadly, there is really no one to contact, no escalation path, etc. this is by design.

Tesla does not care about servicing or fixing vehicles that have already been sold. All they care about is sales of new vehicles.
It looks that way. No ETA is pretty absurd. It can be 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years.

When Tesla has open orders past their delivery date for parts and supplies, and customers want these parts and supplies, it is difficult to give an ETA when they don't know. I guess they could make one up and miss it, then make up another and miss it. Do you have a good suggestion for Tesla to estimate your ETA for you if they don't know? The can't even estimate within 6 months when they can deliver some new cars. Parts are no better for estimated ETA. It can be very frustrating.

I was able to get my car out of the body shop last week missing one needed part. The part had two confirmed ship dates. Now, Tesla supposedly redesigned the part and god knows when it will be shipped. I was just lucky that the car’s driveability wasn’t an issue and that the body shop was willing to do a workaround so the car wouldn’t sit for additional weeks or months. As for the comments that this is simply a reflection of the parts shortage for everything, that could be the case but unreal parts delays have been a Tesla thing for the five+ years I have been a Tesla owner.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Maybe a third party supplier can get a fender sooner. Tesla Front Fenders Fenders for sale | eBay
Tesla doesn’t allow the few shops licensed to do body work to use used or third party parts. Very frustrating considering their lack of transparency regarding back ordered part status. My S has been in the shop for 2 months and will likely be there for at least another month. As soon as it’s fixed I’m selling it.