Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrating Experience Trying to Buy My First Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gby2k6

Dec 29, 2021
CA
I need some advice, some help. I am having one of the worst experiences ever buying my first Tesla.

I ordered a Tesla Model Y back in August and was told October 2021 would be my delivery date. Here we are in December, and no Tesla. On Sunday, the 26th of December, I get a call from Tesla to let me know that my car will be here on the 27th. I was told I would get the VIN on the 27th and I need to pick it up by the 31st. So I go into panic mode, and start the pre-approval process for my loan. Loan approved. The 27th comes along, no VIN. The 28th, no VIN, no car. The 29th, no VIN, no car. Then the Tesla representative texts me (most annoying thing about Tesla is they communicate through text messages), and says that the pickup will be the evening of the 31st. Guess what? I still don't have a VIN. My bank is closed on the 31st. My bank will not process anything unless they have the finalized paperwork with VIN and registration. I'm told now that since I can't pick up on the 31st, they're just going to take me off the car and put me on the wait list. What happened to the 3 day pickup window that I'm suppose to get? So frustrating. I will say, if I don't get this car, I'm never buying a Tesla.

Does anyone know what I can do or if there's anyone I can contact? The representative contact is not helpful. Totally useless.

Reactions: jpk195
...I will say, if I don't get this car, I'm never buying a Tesla...
Right now, Tesla is overwhelmed with demands so it just finds the shortest way to deliver its cars.

Financing may take time such as waiting for weekends and holidays so cash might be King in the meantime.

Sorry that you are caught up with Tesla's push for profit.

This isn’t that unusual, unfortunately. I’m on my second Tesla and both deliveries were delayed several times.

If you don’t like the text/msg you setup, just be aware that service works this way too (and is also a pain in the ass to schedule).

I hope everything works out.

Nothing really to do except hope to God that you find a good service advisor. My experience with Tesla buy was frustrating as well - the texts you get are a combination of human and AI. The ones threatening to take you off the list are certainly AI. I suggest getting your ducks in row and hope that it works. Once you get the car though - I assure you that all will be forgiven - that's what Tesla is banking on.