Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrating new customer experience - invoice payments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whilst the Tesla new buyer experience has been pretty smooth up until now the process of paying for the car is slightly less so. Buying the car on pcp I paid a £10k deposit on Tuesday morning and still have no confirmation my money has actually been received by Tesla despite multiple calls and an email. The best response I have had so far is “the payments team are pretty busy right now I imagine it will be the next few days when they check” - moan over....did anyone else experience similar with payments? - very bizarre and never experienced this with previous car purchases

Going through the payment process at the mo, although I'm paying the full amount. They sent me an email & a text and can see an invoice in my account.
They pretty much contradict themselves on what to put in as a reference number for any payment. I put my RN number on it in the end and did a test payment to make sure it arrived in the right place which it did 30 mins later on my account.

My bank (Starling) has limits and verification on who I can pay and they don't like the Tesla account and they had to ring me and go through a load of 'if you sent the money to the wrong place/risk' conversation too.

They don't make it easy to pay them money and considering the number of people who must send £0000k worth every week you think they'd make it easier!

So check you account and hopefully it should be under a 'Show details' under the Payments tab.

Typical Tesla I'm afraid - their poor Customer Service and Quality of Service extends to Administration too - oddly there is some consistency here at least 😝
Haha well I do like a bit of consistency, Mercedes went between amazing and horrendous/ borderline rude so kept me on my toes.....I guess maybe I should lower my expectations with Tesla customer services rather than set myself up for more disappointment

I have payed my deposit and send them a confirmation doc for the payments. They have updated the records next day and have been great to deal with. No complaints on my end. One thing tho - it is saying there that I am still due 5000 euro but I guess they will cover that with SEAI grant.

Yup, we've all been there and done that. I learnt the true meaning of YOLO when transferring the full 50K for a new vehicle in one go when I got 2 days notice of a pickup.

They don't make it easy to pay them money and considering the number of people who must send £0000k worth every week you think they'd make it easier!
I'm sure it's very easy for them, which I assume is as far as their design went.

Yup, we've all been there and done that. I learnt the true meaning of YOLO when transferring the full 50K for a new vehicle in one go when I got 2 days notice of a pickup.

I'm sure it's very easy for them, which I assume is as far as their design went.
:eek:, I'd be worried about typing an account number wrong!

It said on mine the money needed to be in their account 7 days before pickup.. they send me an email with 7 days and 90 mins warning.
It'll be there before I pick it up..

Anyone have to show a bank statement as proof?

:eek:, I'd be worried about typing an account number wrong!

It said on mine the money needed to be in their account 7 days before pickup.. they send me an email with 7 days and 90 mins warning.
It'll be there before I pick it up..

Anyone have to show a bank statement as proof?
I’ve got 8 days until pick up, just sent over more screen shots as proof of transfer - had a panic that I might have put wrong account # in but all ok....pretty frustrating, the guy from Tesla cs team just said “oh don’t worry £10K isn’t that much people transfer over like £80k for a model X” ....not sure if that was supposed to make me feel better that there’s only the possibility they have lost my £10k and not more

Reactions: Puzuk
I’ve got 8 days until pick up, just sent over more screen shots as proof of transfer - had a panic that I might have put wrong account # in but all ok....pretty frustrating, the guy from Tesla cs team just said “oh don’t worry £10K isn’t that much people transfer over like £80k for a model X” ....not sure if that was supposed to make me feel better that there’s only the possibility they have lost my £10k and not more
Less than 7 days for me. Should be an interesting weekend next week for both of us :)

Surely they should be able to check on their systems if the car has been paid for? If I can get away with showing a iPhone Pic of 'wire transfer' then that would be easier

Reactions: OliLondon
Less than 7 days for me. Should be an interesting weekend next week for both of us :)

Surely they should be able to check on their systems if the car has been paid for? If I can get away with showing a iPhone Pic of 'wire transfer' then that would be easier
You won't need to show anything :) The only reason they say that is so that if you turn up and for some reason their system isn't showing the vehicle paid for, you at least have the details they need to chase it up with their accounting people in your hand!

Same as most people will see payments within a few hours in their Tesla account, if it takes longer its because either some behind the scenes security check was carried out by one of the banks, or their automatic system at Tesla hasn't recognised your payment reference details for whatever reason and it needs to wait until someone from Tesla manually intervenes and records it as paid.

The "fraudulent account warning" that banks throw up about the names not matching isn't really Tesla's fault, it's down to whatever bank Tesla use not supporting it!

• Helpful
Reactions: Puzuk and OliLondon
You won't need to show anything :) The only reason they say that is so that if you turn up and for some reason their system isn't showing the vehicle paid for, you at least have the details they need to chase it up with their accounting people in your hand!

Same as most people will see payments within a few hours in their Tesla account, if it takes longer its because either some behind the scenes security check was carried out by one of the banks, or their automatic system at Tesla hasn't recognised your payment reference details for whatever reason and it needs to wait until someone from Tesla manually intervenes and records it as paid.

The "fraudulent account warning" that banks throw up about the names not matching isn't really Tesla's fault, it's down to whatever bank Tesla use not supporting it!
Good to know. I'll bring myself and a grin ;)

Took 30 mins each time for the money to show in my account which is reassuring !

Yeh I guess I can't blame Tesla for the fraud warning but Citibank who they use could buck up their ideas :D

Not that its particularly helpful but Toyota are no better. When I sold my car to one of their dealerships up North, the amount agreed upon was to clear the outstanding finance.

They had the car delivered to them and I didn't hear a thing. Chased them for 2 weeks and then suddenly one day I logged into my Toyota Finance App and the balance was clear. Never did get any kind of receipt or email to confirm.

Reactions: Puzuk
I'll be paying my deposit on Monday and will see when it appears in my Tesla account...
Their finance side doesn't seem as well joined up as the rest.

But overall I much prefer to Tesla buying experience to the las Mercedes one, where the sales person seems more interested in selling add ons than the car, because he gets commission. The final straw last time was a £40.00 dealer documentation fee, which I later discovered was the salesperson's commission.

I'll be paying my deposit on Monday and will see when it appears in my Tesla account...
Their finance side doesn't seem as well joined up as the rest.

But overall I much prefer to Tesla buying experience to the las Mercedes one, where the sales person seems more interested in selling add ons than the car, because he gets commission. The final straw last time was a £40.00 dealer documentation fee, which I later discovered was the salesperson's commission.
With me it took 30 mins to appear in my account on a weekday. I paid the final slice yesterday which has yet to appear on my account so I'm hoping it appears tomorrow otherwise I'll be in a panic!!

I bought my car in December and transferred the £50k to Tesla. I had no acknowledgement that the money had been received and was quite anxious for a few days.... from memory I emailed a helpful guy in the Winchester showroom and he confirmed that my car had been paid for.

@leewillis77 (linked below) mentioned the current technique for exposing the VIN in the source code. When we ordered, we used a similar technique that also exposed any payments made to Tesla. Off the top of my head, the field was something like 'depositpaid'. One would like to have thought that Tesla may have got around to exposing this and similar data on the web page, but it appears not to be the case. In our case, Tesla use to reconcile payments with the account only a couple of times a day, but at least it have an early indication that payment had been received.

Last edited:
Going through the payment process at the mo, although I'm paying the full amount. They sent me an email & a text and can see an invoice in my account.
They pretty much contradict themselves on what to put in as a reference number for any payment. I put my RN number on it in the end and did a test payment to make sure it arrived in the right place which it did 30 mins later on my account.

My bank (Starling) has limits and verification on who I can pay and they don't like the Tesla account and they had to ring me and go through a load of 'if you sent the money to the wrong place/risk' conversation too.

So check you account and hopefully it should be under a 'Show details' under the Payments tab.
I'm glad I found this, I'm also with starling, and the warnings and the flags set my alarm bells going, thinking I'd typed it in wrong or something!! I guess I best give them a call and tell them to calm down!!

Don't suppose anyone got a second hard search done on finance when they kicked all this off did they? I set it all up in Jan, when they did a hard credit search on me... I've since decided to buy a house and funny enough move date is the same bloody day as Tesla pick up. Mortgage company are aware, and likely saw the search at the start of the year, I just don't want one or the other finances derailing either of them... Its been a little niggling fear at the back of my mind for months!!