Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrations planning Sequoia & Kings Canyon trip

Dennisis

Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2020
Tucson
First of all I want to thank this group for giving me the intestinal fortitude to trust my regenerative braking and give this a try:)

I wanted to try a loop through both parks from the new Selma Supercharger and this is what I experienced.

Stock 2020 MYLR with 39k on it. AC off. 2 persons.

100% at Selma Supercharger, 283 mi range, 308’ elev
60% at Kings Canyon gate, could literally watch the % points drop:(
56% at 7000’, Wuksachi Lodge, about halfway distance, no turning back now
54% at General Sherman tree, carefully kept under park speed limits 15/25/35
55% at Giant Forest Museum, about to drop 5000’ at 25 mph
62% at Sequoia Gate leaving the park for flat but gorgeous orange groves
48% at Selma Supercharger having driven 172 mi

I would never have guessed how well this would work. Speed limits really helped range. Regained 7% on the way down just like previous poster said.

Park was really worth it. Don’t miss Moro Rock. Strongly recommend. Saw about 4 other Teslas I think.

Curious if you think my 283 max range is typical for 39k?
Also, if you look close, you’ll see my Contisilents are done. Recommendations?
Great info! Planning my trip for May 23 now so this is very helpful. I'm staying at Wuksachi Lodge (2 nights) so hopefully will be able to get some charge there overnight as I'd like to have a full day of exploring. Did you go roundtrip from the Selma Supercharger all in one day? Did you get to see all you had planned?

Great info! Planning my trip for May 23 now so this is very helpful. I'm staying at Wuksachi Lodge (2 nights) so hopefully will be able to get some charge there overnight as I'd like to have a full day of exploring. Did you go roundtrip from the Selma Supercharger all in one day? Did you get to see all you had planned?
See my post #18. I think going from Selma to park and back to Selma is about the same as Traver to Traver like I did.
I haven't been to Selma, but there might be more to do while charging at Traver (Bravo farms has a kids play area)

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis

Dennisis

Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2020
Tucson
See my post #18. I think going from Selma to park and back to Selma is about the same as Traver to Traver like I did.
I haven't been to Selma, but there might be more to do while charging at Traver (Bravo farms has a kids play area)

Mike
Yeah I’ll probably stop at Traver and try to top off in Three Rivers while grabbing lunch.

When we had our Volvo C40, with about 220 miles of real (flat land) range, this was quite doable. We were up there in July. And yeah, regen going down was fun! It sure beat ICE engine braking.

However, we sold the C40 and with our current "Road Tripper" being a Model X 75D, I'm much less confident, especially since we don't have CCS (yet). Even when Visalia goes online this would be a stretch for the MX, I'm thinking.

Edit: It looks like Tesla need to update their "Find Us" map... Visalia (Goshen) is online:

Supercharger - Visalia, CA

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC