Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FS: 2013 85KwH Model S - 45,000 miles - $50,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model: Model S (85Kwh)
Year: 2013
Price: $50,000
Mileage: 45,000 on the button today
Color: Pearl White over black interior w/ matte obeche wood
Options: Tech Package, Ultra High Fidelity Sound System, Air Suspension, All Glass Panoramic roof.

Upgrades
  • Continental Tire Pressure Monitoring System - This car had a chronic problem with it's tire pressure system. They replaced antennas, they replaced modules, they replaced sensors and looked at basically everything. The problem kept returning. This latest visit they decided to retrofit the Continental system from the newer cars. This is a paid upgrade but they did it under warranty because they couldn't fix the original. The good news is that the system now displays tire pressure on the instrument cluster. The better news is that it doesn't suck!
  • Alcantera Headliner - This car was equipped with the textile headliner. Recently service had to replace a panoramic roof seal and gave me the car back with a seal that hadn't been properly replaced and a kinked headliner, presumably from them pulling it down? I'm not sure. It was an innocent enough mistake. They ended up replacing the headliner and all of the trim with the tan alcantera. It looks absolutely amazing.
The Good:
  • Absolutely amazing condition. Clean interior, no real scratches or scuffs on the car aside for one area on the front bumper cover and then of course normal small rock chips on the front bumper cover.
  • Most of the early VIN stuff has been taken care of. The AC compressor has been wrapped in an acoustic blanket, the pitting rearview mirror replaced, the old door handles replaced with the new style that have some give when you pull them, etc.
  • Newer tires, just rotated
  • New Cabin Air Filter (I know, I know but I remembered it so I mentioned it)
  • New drive unit - Old one made some noise under constant throttle so it was replaced though it had not failed. The new unit is silent with the exception of some normal whining during acceleration. No real balloon noise.
  • 5 keys. Yes, 5. I had a recurring issue with low battery warnings for the key fob and so twice they replaced the keys. The car now has three new keys programmed for it and 2 extra not programmed for it. Backups in case the first three get flushed down the toilet!
  • New cargo cover in the trunk (the original's carpet was coming separated.
  • Early VIN cars get a couple of goodies that later became optional. One that I can think of is the ambient lighting which my car has but that is now optional.
  • 256 miles on a full charge and 230 on 90%.
The Bad:
  • I bought my wife an i3 and apparently it suffers from an inferiority complex because coming out of the driveway one day it kissed the front bumper cover of my car. There is no damage, just some scratching. It can be touched up but I have not done this. I do have a bottle of the Tesla touch up paint that goes with the car though.
  • Normal curb rash, at least I think it's normal. The wheels clean up nice.
  • Nothing - No really, no other bad to report.
Overall it's an amazing car. It's had it's share of issues and Tesla has resolved them. Most of the stuff wasn't huge, just annoying. A replace key fob battery message here, a chronic tire pressure system error there.

I'm happy to field any questions. Pictures will be posted tomorrow. I'm currently not interested in lower offers as I'm on the fence about selling it in the first place and feel I've priced it pretty competitively.

Last edited:
I am either looking for an AP car or to lease a P90D. The car is located in LA. Backup camera, no sensors. It's the nice backup camera though since it has the tech package, not the hokey one the non-tech cars got back in the day.

Looks like I have some pictures from the other day, mostly just interior and of the scratches on the bumper. Remainder to drop tomorrow. Hottest album of the year!

Scratches from my wife. There is no other scratching/ damage beyond the black areas in this picture.
v7QPSHl.jpg

xrOK0F0.jpg

kI8euZu.jpg

Alcantera headliner....

OQLuEZg.jpg

More of the headliner/ trim

XG3e1J3.jpg

D1XOrhr.jpg

Updated armrests. The older style would come loose and move around.

siL8uj0.jpg

Retrofitted Continental Tire Pressure Monitoring System

VsC6C8Y.jpg

Updated price: $48,000 if you can get it out of my driveway in Los Angeles in the next couple weeks. Tesla just bumped the delivery of my P85D a couple weeks early. I'd love for someone to get it directly but if not I do have a $48,000 cash offer from a dealer. I'd just much rather see a person get it and not have to pay markup.

Thank you. I'm kind of thinking I shouldn't have priced it so low. All I'm getting is emails from eBay offering me $40,000 CASH NOW and then an immediate demand for an answer. I've been less than nice to those people. I guess I shouldn't be a car salesman.

Reactions: JPUConn
Got it. I am interested in the car for my husband for his birthday (10/4). We are in LA and I can pay cash. I am a techno-feeb - I am not sure I am reading through this string of posts correctly - not sure what you're looking for - eBay is $40,000 and the dragging their heels is $48,000? KBB trade-in value s $39,000-$45,000. Would you entertain another offer? How does one send a private message on this site? I do hate to negotiate in a public style posts!

I'm not sure where you saw 40k. I never mentioned that so I wonder if maybe you're confusing this with another car or if someone else mentioned 40k. Not sure. :)

Anyhow, Vroom offered me $47,000 cash for the car and I accepted that deal. They say it's as good as done but they are really slow to get the paperwork end of things tied up so far. I'm not hard up for the cash so I'm in no hurry but I am offering the car for sale to someone else until I see their check appear.

The Vroom deal is easy peasy. I don't have to get the title from my bank, I don't have to go over every detail of the car, etc. They wire my bank the money, wire me my equity and send a truck to pick it up. So at $47,000 they're getting the car solely because the simplicity of that transaction. Up until they pay me for it, if someone wants to give me $48,000 for it they are welcome to it. At $48,000 it is probably in the top 5 of cheapest 85kwh Tesla's in the country and it's not a bare bones car. It's pretty much fully loaded sans 21" wheels and rear facing seats. It's got upgrades other cars don't have and it's still got some warranty. It's a solid deal.

So unfortunately I wouldn't entertain a lower offer because there's just no necessity for me to do so. I'm sure you can understand. That said, if you've been shopping I'm sure you'll see these don't pop up in this price range very often and when they do they're generally higher mileage or missing must-have features. It's the cheapest 85kwh car within 100 miles of LA and the second cheapest of ANY battery size Tesla within 100 miles of LA (Autotrader is my source here). The only cheaper Tesla than mine is an 80,000 mile S85.

As for trade-in value, I show $47,000 - 54,000 on KBB and $50,000. Both seem high to me but either way, I'm not getting $39,000 - $45,000 anywhere.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are in good shape with your offer. Just so you know my points of reference in my note: the $40,000 was your post regarding an eBay BUY NOW offer - and the KBB range I noted is for a trade in - very good condition with the parameters you put in your original entry - I don't know if there were add-ons that should be input in KBB site that I didn't know about. I wasn't trying to low ball - just trying to figure out the state of play. Please let me know if Vroom continues to delay - I remain VERY interested.- can offer cash - can take delivery locally and move quickly.

Sounds like you are in good shape with your offer. Just so you know my points of reference in my note: the $40,000 was your post regarding an eBay BUY NOW offer - and the KBB range I noted is for a trade in - very good condition with the parameters you put in your original entry - I don't know if there were add-ons that should be input in KBB site that I didn't know about. I wasn't trying to low ball - just trying to figure out the state of play. Please let me know if Vroom continues to delay - I remain VERY interested.- can offer cash - can take delivery locally and move quickly.

Oh I didn't think you were lowballing. I didn't even see an offer from you so no worries there. Apologies if I seemed terse in my reply. I'm so tired of the people that pricing your car on the lower end of the spectrum brings. Nothing but low-ballers and high pressure lowballers at that. People making me a $40,000 offer and demanding an instant response as if they were in control of the situation and doing me a favor by making me the offer. In hindsight I should have priced it at 55k like everyone else so someone could have "lowballed" me at 48k and thought they got a deal. So that was the mention about eBay, not that I was seriously considering any of those ridiculous offers. I have a new appreciation for simply selling your car to a dealer.

I think you might be getting your KBB info wrong too. With proper mileage and installed options, battery size, etc I come up a solid $7000 over you and if you look at local cars for sale you can kind of see that they just don't sell for anything close to that on even a semi-regular basis. If you look at private party sales the price is even higher though I'd be the first to say it's to high. I'd say if you find a reasonable mileage car for anywhere near 45k with decent options, grab it. That's a unicorn. At least for now.