Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FS: 2018-2020 Model 3 USB-A to USB-C Retrofit Adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find anyone making these anymore and there was a big thread where a couple of amazing members here figured out the exact connectors to build them. I took their work and built 6 pairs since there was a minimum I basically needed to order in order to make it worth it to pay for shipping. There are 2 per car (1 for front, under the phone charger and one at the rear HVAC vent). Anyway, I'm selling the other 10 individual adapters I made and won't be making more so here's your chance.

I've tested each adapter to ensure it works with my personal car. Each one gives me the 9V/3A for 27W as expected. Each adapter built with 20 gauge stranded copper wire and I'll ship anywhere in the USA. $15/adapter + ship. Local pickup for free if you're anywhere near San Jose, CA

qOhJr6Jh.jpg

WBoqsITh.jpg

yGUvFtfh.jpg

4YwaydDh.jpg

Last edited:
I've been wanting to do this upgrade for a while, I'll take an adapter cable pair if you still have any! Thanks!

Also, I haven't yet seen anything about how much Tesla charges for the other parts to do this upgrade, how much did those parts cost for you?

Update: I've found your ebay listing (unless it's an incredible coincidence, someone else from San Jose), and ordered a pair from there. Thanks!
sounds good! I was about to come back and just send the link since I guess I don't have access to private messages here anyway.

as for the cost. the HVAC USB-C vent itself costs 100. the front part is 60. I ordered via the app asking for service and got my parts in about 2 weeks. easy peasy

sounds good! I was about to come back and just send the link since I guess I don't have access to private messages here anyway.

as for the cost. the HVAC USB-C vent itself costs 100. the front part is 60. I ordered via the app asking for service and got my parts in about 2 weeks. easy peasy
Awesome, thanks! That matches some additional info I've found since then, searching through the forums, I've sent a message for service in the app, just waiting on the reply now :)

Great to hear someone is making these again. I ended up ordering the connector parts from mouser to make these cables for my upgrade not too long ago.

Also used this adapter to split off 12V for my hardwired radar detector.

Here’s part numbers if anyone wants to do the same:
Old Connector: TE Connectivity
936121-1
TE 6-928918-1

New connector: Aptiv Automotive
12052217-L

Last edited:
Great to hear someone is making these again. I ended up ordering the connector parts from mouser to make these cables for my upgrade not too long ago.

936121-1
TE 6-928918-1

12052217-L
What detector do you run? Still USB A in the car? I’m interested in a setup to run the lead for the detector, but would not want the usbC upgrade.

936121-1
TE 6-928918-1

12052217-L
Do you have a wiring diagram for the 12052856 that come with the USB-C From factory?

What detector do you run? Still USB A in the car? I’m interested in a setup to run the lead for the detector, but would not want the usbC upgrade.
I have the Uniden R3. I spliced the power for it Into the adapter so I wouldn’t have to permanently modify the main harness. You could create a short extension and splice into that if you don’t want to upgrade to the USB-C ports.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Anymore adapters available?
I couldn't find anyone making these anymore and there was a big thread where a couple of amazing members here figured out the exact connectors to build them. I took their work and built 6 pairs since there was a minimum I basically needed to order in order to make it worth it to pay for shipping. There are 2 per car (1 for front, under the phone charger and one at the rear HVAC vent). Anyway, I'm selling the other 10 individual adapters I made and won't be making more so here's your chance.

I've tested each adapter to ensure it works with my personal car. Each one gives me the 9V/3A for 27W as expected. Each adapter built with 20 gauge stranded copper wire and I'll ship anywhere in the USA. $15/adapter + ship. Local pickup for free if you're anywhere near San Jose, CA

qOhJr6Jh.jpg

WBoqsITh.jpg

yGUvFtfh.jpg

4YwaydDh.jpg