Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FS: 2021 Used Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand New Model Y Tesla equipped with Full Self Driving Capability and 20″ Induction Wheels
Asking $59950 OBO
2021-model-Y.png
IMG_3305-1240x930.jpg
IMG_3307-1240x930.jpg
IMG_3303-1240x930.jpg
IMG_3310-1240x1653.jpg
IMG_3298-1240x1653.jpg
IMG_3295-1240x930.jpg
IMG_3300-1240x930-1-1024x768.jpg

And those people can buy a new one for that same price..
I am not quite sure what is too difficult about the post for you to understand.
1. The $59950 asking price is $4,340 less than an identically configured new model ordered today.
2. The price is OBO. So clearly seller is willing to negotiate some, further increasing the previously mentioned $4,340 savings.
3. A handful of states do not charge sales tax on used cars (since sales tax has already been paid once). If you live in one of those states, you could save even more on top of the previously mentioned $4,340.

***WARNING*** ***WARNING*** ***WARNING***

I have spent the better part of a week trying to work with the seller of this car to complete a transaction. This would have been our 4th Tesla purchased, and the 4th purchased out of state, so I do have some experience in these matters.

I will post my experience here, and everyone can make their own judgements, but my impression has finally tilted towards the "this person doesn't actually own this car and is trying to solicit deposits to scam interested parties." I STRONGLY encourage anyone considering purchasing this car to do their homework, and arrange a financial transaction that protects themselves and do not send deposits to this person.

Sequence of events:
This past Saturday, I messaged the seller here on TMC when I noticed that the car (same VIN) had been listed on Tred.com for a substantially lower price ($53,500.00), but in Austin, TX and not the Dallas area:
2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range For Sale in Austin, TX | TrueCar
Used 2021 Tesla Model Y For Sale in Austin, TX | TRED

The seller told me he had dropped the price, and I had some questions, specifically I asked:
First, why are you selling? It's very rare for someone to get a brand new Tesla, and not put any miles on it and decide to sell it.

Second, the TrueCar listing says it is in Austin, TX, but onlyusedtesla.com and your forum posts say Plano, TX. Please explain the discrepancy.

Third, being a new car, do you have the title in hand? Any liens on the car?

Seller replied that he was selling the car because his wife preferred getting an X, and that he thought TRED was based in Austin, TX and that is why the car showed up as listed there. He used them because they are a broker that would list the car on multiple websites. Title was in hand, no liens.

We then had a conversation via phone, and I said I was very interested in the car, as it was the exact configuration my wife was looking for. He seemed hesitant when I said I was from California and would fly out to see the car and complete the transaction in person, because he had another interested local buyer, but said he would "talk to his wife about it" and get back to me. About an hour later he texted me that he would hold the car for me if I made a $5000 deposit.

Having relatives in the Dallas area, I said I would like to have my cousin come by and look at the car first, and verify that he has the title in hand, before proceeding further. He agreed, but then afterwards became very unresponsive to texts to try to arrange a time and date for my cousin to meet and inspect the car.

Over the course of the next few days, I went about arranging funds to have them ready in case the transaction would be possible, including going to the time and expense (credit hit of hard pulls) of getting approved for a few loans, in case I wanted to go that route instead of paying cash in full. After a lot of thought, I made some calls to Tred and discussed the car with them, and got more details on their service. Basically, they informed me that they act as an escrow and dealer service, and if the purchase was made through them they do not release funds to the seller until the buyer arrives to pick up the car and confirms everything matches the listing and they are happy to proceed. This was the added security I wanted, as I was not going to wire a deposit to a random stranger, who on top of things had not been the most communicative and never got back to me for someone local to come see the car.

Yesterday, once funds were ready, I made the transaction through tred.com. I sent a text to the seller, and told him the purchase had been made there, and that I wanted to arrange a date to pick up the car, so I could purchase an airline ticket to Dallas. At this time, after 2 days of no replies to texts, he immediately replied and said that "we should have done the transaction privately." I found this a bit surprising, since he listed the car on tred.com, and should be aware of the protection that it offers both the buyer and seller.

I'll just leave the series of texts here for anyone to read and come to their own conclusion:
texts.jpg

During our call, he said he was overwhelmed with responses for the car and hasn't had time to coordinate anything, and re-emphasized that the fee for Tred was too high and he was unaware that they were going to charge a ~1% fee.

I said, ok then I'll cover $300 of the fee and bring that with me in cash. Basically just wanting to use Tred for their escrow-like services and protection for the buyer and seller. He said he would talk it over with his wife and "text you back, 20 minutes, 30 minutes tops".

After a bit over an hour, I asked if a decision was made. A few hours later I got a text of "im not going thru tred sorry".

I'm posting this here not to smear this seller, but as a cautionary note to anyone here looking seriously at this car, hoping that if they decide to proceed with the transaction that they do so in a manner to protect themselves.

I will be working with Tred tomorrow to get the funds they have in escrow back.

I can now say with 99.9% certainty that the listing here on TMC is fraudulent. I've been in touch with the owner of onlyusedtesla.com and he says the owner information listed for that sale (name, phone number) does not match the contact information of the person that I have been dealing with here on TMC.

DO NOT ENGAGE WITH THIS PERSON, AS THE LISTING HERE IS FRAUDLENT.

Reactions: JamesBrown
I can now say with 99.9% certainty that the listing here on TMC is fraudulent. I've been in touch with the owner of onlyusedtesla.com and he says the owner information listed for that sale (name, phone number) does not match the contact information of the person that I have been dealing with here on TMC.

DO NOT ENGAGE WITH THIS PERSON, AS THE LISTING HERE IS FRAUDLENT.

Sadly Autotrader, Cars.com, TRED, eBay, ect do exactly zero verification that the person listing a car for sale is the actual owner. One of the best benefits of OnlyUsedTesla.com is that they do vet sellers to verify they are the legit owner.

Sucks that someone tried to scam you, but at least you caught on before you sent a deposit.

Sadly Autotrader, Cars.com, TRED, eBay, ect do exactly zero verification that the person listing a car for sale is the actual owner. One of the best benefits of OnlyUsedTesla.com is that they do vet sellers to verify they are the legit owner.

TRED claims on their website that they do a seller identity check.
"We verify that the seller's identity is legit and that the vehicle is registered in their name. If there is no lien, we verify that the seller possesses the title."

I noticed, however, that the seller of this particular car wasn't listed as "TRED-verified" like others.

TRED claims on their website that they do a seller identity check.
"We verify that the seller's identity is legit and that the vehicle is registered in their name. If there is no lien, we verify that the seller possesses the title."

Yeah, I'm calling BS on that.

They were, however, easy to get them to refund the funds that I had sent into their escrow service.