TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

FS: Discounted Build to Order Tesla - Losing my deposit passing savings to someone else.

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by tomguy, May 21, 2017.

1. tomguy

tomguy Member

Anyone or someone you know that may be interested in buying a Tesla that is discounted? We put in a reservation for a Model S but decided not to get it. We're over the refund period on our deposit so our two options are to either just lose the $2500 deposit or try to recoup as much as possible and help someone get their car at a discounted price. We used a referral link so the car has $1000 off already and we can negotiate on something. I can change the car's configuration right now for a $500 charge so you're not set to what I configured.

If this is something you or someone you know may be interested in tell me. I don't want to lose $2500 but if I do, at least someone can benefit.

Thanks and hope someone can benefit from this.

2. Takumi

Takumi Member

How would the tax credit work?

3. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

No tax credit involved. The OP made a reservation. The car hasn't been built or delivered and until delivery a title hasn't been assigned and until a title is assigned there is no tax credit issue.

4. Takumi

Takumi Member

#4 Takumi, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Oh? Tesla lets you transfer reservations?

5. tomguy

tomguy Member

I checked with Tesla and it's a matter of just changing names since the car wasn't delivered yet.

6. Kclshelly

Kclshelly Member

7. Kclshelly

Kclshelly Member

Can you change your deposit to a Model X?

8. tomguy

tomguy Member

Yes, the vehicle can be changed to any configuration as long as it's not delivered. Inventory cars make it even much easier also.

9. louis2003b

louis2003b New Member

I am interested
    I am interested. Please PM me

10. Kclshelly

Kclshelly Member

I'm interested plz private message me.

11. QwiksilverA4

QwiksilverA4 Member

12. tomguy

tomguy Member

Just to clarify with everyone, I have on order is a Model S. I spoke with Tesla and they said they can't change it.

13. byeLT4

byeLT4 Member

So you can't change it to a Model X, but you can still make changes to the MS, correct?

14. tomguy

tomguy Member

Yes that is correct. Their system is really limited. I've been talking to Tesla and basically they said I would have to cancel and put in the order again, but what would the point of that be? If I'm going to lose my deposit, I'll just go ahead take the S and sell it to someone when I take delivery.

This way, at least whoever wants it can get it the way they want. I just have a 75 Black with Black Leather.. No other options. But can still be changed if needed.

• Informative x 1
  15. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

If you purchase and register in your name, you pay sales tax and whoever buys from you would also pay sales tax.

Unfortunately, It would be far cheaper to forgo the deposit.

If your splitting the deposit with someone, then the car can be titled directly in their name.

16. tomguy

tomguy Member

If someone is interested in the car before I purchase, then it would be titled to their name. Right now the car is being built so if someone expresses interest then I would title it to them.

Thanks for clarifying to others.