Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FS: Gen 2 HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased brand new about 10 months ago. Unfortunately I had to sell my car so I no longer need the charger. Asking 400 dollars, will ship anywhere within CONUS.
IMG_4940.JPG
IMG_6069.JPG
IMG_3597.JPG

Reactions: XLR82XS
If anybody's currently in the market for a Gen 2 HPWC I'd grab this one while you can. Now that Tesla is officially out of the Gen 2s the secondary market is about to skyrocket again and my guess is it's headed over $1,000 for good shortly. The last time Tesla was out of stock they went over $1,000 pretty quickly before Tesla made them available one last time until they cleared out the rest of their inventory. I don't know the seller specifically but I can tell you that this is probably the last time you'll see one of these for this price even used.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
If anybody's currently in the market for a Gen 2 HPWC I'd grab this one while you can. Now that Tesla is officially out of the Gen 2s the secondary market is about to skyrocket again and my guess is it's headed over $1,000 for good shortly. The last time Tesla was out of stock they went over $1,000 pretty quickly before Tesla made them available one last time until they cleared out the rest of their inventory. I don't know the seller specifically but I can tell you that this is probably the last time you'll see one of these for this price even used.
Other than the 24' cord, is there a reason someone would prefer a Gen 2 over a Gen 3? I understand Gen 2 can take up to 80A, but doesn't the charging rate still max out at 60A?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the biggest difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 is the amount of current it can handle. Also looks like the Gen 3 charging cable might be a little smaller. Which could very well be true due to the fact that since it cannot deliver as much current, a thinner cable can be used.

Other than the 24' cord, is there a reason someone would prefer a Gen 2 over a Gen 3? I understand Gen 2 can take up to 80A, but doesn't the charging rate still max out at 60A?
Two reasons that I can think of:
  1. Some older model S & X's had 72 amp chargers on board
  2. If you had a Gen 2 and added another Tesla, wall charger and wire appropriately you can share the single circuit and share the load between the vehicles (up to 4 total with the Gen 2)

Gen 2 is capable of delivering 80A continuous whereas the Gen 3 only delivers 32A. This only matters if the car you're charging has high speed charging capability. There's other differences as well but that's the important difference.

The way I read the install is to use the 80amp you need 400 amp service. Most houses have 200 amp

Gen 2 HPWC has to be on a 100-Amp dedicated circuit to deliver 80 Amps. Though other Gen 2 HPWC can share that circuit.

Our house has 200 Amp service. Our Tesla-recommended electrician installed the 100 Amp circuit and we've had no problems.

Older S85 and X85 had dual 40 Amp chargers that together could pull 80 Amps. My Tesla sensei had S85, then S85D. He plugs in and charges at 80 Amps when he visits.

Older S100 & X100 have 72-Amp chargers. The HPWC supports that.

Finally, Gen 2 HPWC doesn't have the overheat problems Gen 3 is currently experiencing.

Last edited:
According to Tesla... :cool:

The Gen 2 Wall Connector is best for customers who need the following:
  • Power-sharing with previously installed Gen 2 Wall Connectors
  • High power output (up to 80 amps) for Model S and Model X equipped with 72A or 80A on-board chargers.
More information on features of this Wall Connector can be found here.

Installation Guidance
Tesla Wall Connector must be installed by a qualified electrician. Visit our Find an Electrician page to locate installers in your area. If needed, detailed installation videos and manuals are available.