Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FS: Light Harmonic Amp newest version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
So I did a thing. As part of my Stay At Order list of mods, I've upgraded to a larger amp / DSP combo. From what I understand, this is the newest version of their amp that is optimized for MCU1. This revision solved all the old problems in the first generation that you've probably already read about here on TMC. THIS amp has performed flawlessly. Jarek from Light Harmonic @stuck_limo announced the release of this version Jan 19, 2019 and I purchased it 6 days later.

Amp improvements from gen 1: (from Jarek)
1. Improved inductance disturbance to shield from outside interference
2. Increased capacitance for bass improvement and increased current
3. Improved zero phase crossover network for more natural sounding mids and highs
4. Improved PCB layout to ensure outside inductance doesn't affect performance and reliability. (This was the
original issue. In some cars, the outside inductance was more than it should've been. So the old PCB had this problem
and has been resolved)

From what I've been reading, LH has stopped selling this amp on their website and are possibly making revisions to it to be compatible with MCU2. This amp is a drop in replacement for the stock UHFS amp. No splicing or cutting wires. Just unplug your oem amp and plug this one in. I think this is the only plug and play amp for the MS on the market.

I bought this for $1200 new. Selling for for $1050 shipped.
I couldn't have described the amp better than Muzzman1:

"This amp is incredible.1200 continuous (1950 peak) watts of efficient class D power are delivered throughout your Model S. This amplifier consumes 50% less power and delivers five times more power than the factory installed amp.
The stock amp this replaces is 360W."

View media item 121236
View media item 121240

Wait...is the LH amp (either version) not compatible with MCU2?

I have the original version I bought from Muzzman1 and it is everything he says it is... but I was considering the MCU2 upgrade. Now maybe I’m stuck?

I agree, fantastic amp. I live in the same town where LH is headquartered and worked with them on prototype mods to support MCU2. My last conversation with owner Larry Ho was they are still planning to release an updated version sometime in the future, but until then they only officially support MCU1. Here are a few more details:
Speaker question- UHFS and Light Harmonic

The amp will still work with MCU2, but there is a loud popping sound on startup and shutdown. During operation it sounds fine, just annoying when entering or exiting. So, there are some trade-offs to consider.
You know what's interesting. A while back I had a LOUD pop on our MCU2 NOV 2018 build model X then lost all audio, including turn signal ect. My wife mention that it happen to her once.

What about the background noise during operation?
I only experienced the background noise when we were testing the fix. Before the fix I only had popping on startup and shutdown and after the first round of changes the popping was gone, but was replaced by background noise while operating. We adjusted back and forth a few more times with various specs of board components until we found the correct combination that was somewhere in the middle where there was no popping and no background noise. I could have lived with the popping on startup and shutdown with MCU2 before the update, but others may find it too annoying.

I only experienced the background noise when we were testing the fix. Before the fix I only had popping on startup and shutdown and after the first round of changes the popping was gone, but was replaced by background noise while operating. We adjusted back and forth a few more times with various specs of board components until we found the correct combination that was somewhere in the middle where there was no popping and no background noise. I could have lived with the popping on startup and shutdown with MCU2 before the update, but others may find it too annoying.

Curious: did it still pop when muted- did you try this? And was it the same SPL of pop independent of music volume?

Curious: did it still pop when muted- did you try this? And was it the same SPL of pop independent of music volume?
Volume did not seem to have anything to do with it - popping was consistent regardless of volume. I can’t remember trying the specific use case of muting power on and off. I usually turn volume to 0 before exiting, but not always. It just seemed like some sort of audible signal making it to the speakers on both power on and power off - not sure why.

This is a tempting upgrade. For those of us with stock speakers will this make that much of a difference, or would we need to upgrade the speakers as well? I know those Focals are pretty amazing, but $$

yes it does. At least it did in my car. The stock speakers are voiced well; the biggest issue is lack of power and consistent balanced midrange-bass. I don’t care for the bottom end thump but if rap is your thing it does that much better too.
I have heard they made the hifi better in later years, but no idea what time they changed it or if yours was improved over what I got, but if You get this amp and the nvx sub I don’t think you will be disappointed.

I know focal’s would be too bright for me. I have 6 feet of ribbon tweeters at home.

Wait...is the LH amp (either version) not compatible with MCU2?

I have the original version I bought from Muzzman1 and it is everything he says it is... but I was considering the MCU2 upgrade. Now maybe I’m stuck?
How funny, Im reading this thread and stopped here too @HankLloydRight I was going to grab the MCU2 upgrade, now this is a problem! I was actually going to take this amp to my next MS.
Does anyone have factual info about this?

How funny, Im reading this thread and stopped here too @HankLloydRight I was going to grab the MCU2 upgrade, now this is a problem! I was actually going to take this amp to my next MS.
Does anyone have factual info about this?

Yes, there is an LH amp popping sound on MCU2 startup and shutdown. It does not seem to affect sound quality, but can be annoying. You might check some of my previous posts if you want more detail. If you don’t mind the popping then should be ok. Verdee experienced this and decided to remove his LH amp. Might be good to get his perspective. The popping was a bit annoying to me, but I could have lived with it, but was fortunate enough to have LH modify my amp to correct the issue. (I only live a few miles away from LH headquarters.)

Reactions: Muzzman1
Do you think there's any likelyhood of a mail-in retrofit program for other LH amp owners?

From what other forum members have reported, LH has not been very responsive lately. I don’t know if it’s Coronavirus related, but has caused me to wonder. I know LH announced that they are not currently selling their amp for use with MCU2. I had an email exchange with Larry Ho, owner of LH, a couple of months ago and he said they still plan on selling the amp in the future. I don’t know what that means for existing owners wanting to upgrade to MCU2. The “fix” for my amp involved removing a couple of tiny components (could have been SMD capacitors - not sure though) from the amp board and soldering new replacements with different specs. I would think a paid upgrade exchange option could be an interesting idea, but can’t speak for Larry Ho. Maybe we can discuss a group approach if there is enough interest.

From what other forum members have reported, LH has not been very responsive lately. I don’t know if it’s Coronavirus related, but has caused me to wonder. I know LH announced that they are not currently selling their amp for use with MCU2. I had an email exchange with Larry Ho, owner of LH, a couple of months ago and he said they still plan on selling the amp in the future. I don’t know what that means for existing owners wanting to upgrade to MCU2. The “fix” for my amp involved removing a couple of tiny components (could have been SMD capacitors - not sure though) from the amp board and soldering new replacements with different specs. I would think a paid upgrade exchange option could be an interesting idea, but can’t speak for Larry Ho. Maybe we can discuss a group approach if there is enough interest.
Funny, cause I've never known them to be responsive. Ever. It's like pulling teeth to get them to do anything. Even when you want to spend money with them.

I'd be willing to buy a new amp for my future car, that's for certain, but knowing how LH operates, it might be a couple years before it comes to fruition.