Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FS: Tesla Model S Founders Edition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a founder's car at the Tejon ranch supercharger Sunday. I was surprised to see a signature red model S with no license plates. I walked up to it and saw the founders logo in the rear chrome. There were 3 model Ss traveling north together. I think one had manufacturer's plates and the other two no plates. They were a young group of people who were not as friendly as the usual Tesla owners.

Just a note, that this car for sale is obviously not the exact same car that was used by Broder, the seller probably meant that it is the same type of car. It is the wrong color, and wrong interior to be the exact same car.

Peter

Note that the listing says it was the car used for the "September 30th New York Times article," not the February Broder article.

Given the controversy around the Broder article it's a shame the first NYTimes "Game Changer" article was all but forgotten. It was done by the NYTimes green transportation reporter (Berman), not their oil and gas reporter (Broder).

Great catch, I stand corrected :),

Peter

Note that the listing says it was the car used for the "September 30th New York Times article," not the February Broder article.

Given the controversy around the Broder article it's a shame the first NYTimes "Game Changer" article was all but forgotten. It was done by the NYTimes green transportation reporter (Berman), not their oil and gas reporter (Broder).

I am new to Tesla (so I am prepared to have to remove my foot from my mouth here, but take it easy on me). What would the appeal be of this car really over a non-founder version. From what I have seen only a real Tesla enthusiast would even know to look for the "Founder" markings on the outside and cluster and that same enthusiast likely would know you were not the founder who the car was made for. In return, you pay a premium for said markings (and the low VIN, which is admittedly cool, but not noticeable to anyone who does not look at the VIN plate) and you get a car that likely has worse fit and finish compared to a car built a 6 months ago or even more so, a brand new one. Is there something else you get that I am missing? I feel the same way about the Signature cars too. I am looking at this from a buyer's perspective, so please do not think I am saying Signature owners are idiots. I am just wondering why it would make sense to pay more for a car that was somewhat inferior to a later production. To me, the sweet spot to buy a car right now is a car made jest before the August price increases that had the Ambient lighting, Alcantara Headliner and seat bolsters, rear spoiler, wood or CF dash, etc at no extra charge and the cheaper Pano roof, wheel upgrade, etc. In particular a P85+ made in those few months before that changed would be ideal since you are looking at a lower MSRP to negotiate from while getting the latest updates (except the rear heated seats and parking sensors, if those were on your must have list). Please do not take it as a troll post, it's really not. I just want to know if I am missing something and surely you guys/gals know a lot more than me!!
fast forward 8 years as I am reading this post like somebody mentioned the model T let's say Henry Ford personally signed the 1st 50 off the assembly line....no1 is in the ford museum where is #2 and so on and let's say he named them founder's edition since he was the founder well he's long dead so those original "founder" cars are not worth anything because you weren't one of the founders? don't think to hard they wold be priceless I know that was a hypothetical scenario. Tesla revolutionized the EV and the model S is its flagship. I think those founder's and Signatures series might be just a little bit collectable its only 2021 and all those came with FUSC and that's priceless latterly FREE UNLIMITED SUPERCHARGING FOR LIFE