Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FS: VERY RARE SIG 791 75K FIRM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more you research, the more you read the more you'll start believing it yourself.

I've already confessed to being a Tesla fanboy and Elon Musk kool-aid drinker! Being a PhD, I am a big believer in collecting data. Those who think Sigs are not worth much today are looking at them as just another used car. As I said in my OP, "If you want a cheap used Tesla this is not the car for you."

I also said I would not debate this in the forums but here I am! This post is more for my fellow Sig owners who have not sold their cars yet and treat them as a museum (that's my wife calls the car) as I did. DON'T GIVE AWAY YOUR SIG's if you can afford to hold on. Factors that go into collectable valuation:

RARITY: In my case Elon stopped signing Sigs almost immediately after his staff talked him into it. Only a handful were signed for George B's make me smile campaign including Sig 791. This is even less than the number of Founders Model S's. I met George and Elon briefly at various early Tesla events....they really did appreciate those of us who were early adaptors.

BODY STYLE AND FLARE: Hell YES!

PEDIGREE: Interesting story - history of ownership YES!

CONDITION: Less miles may be better but no so much according to Jay Leno. 18,888 is a very good number in Asian culture! Maybe I'll still own it @ 88,888 miles if I can't get a make me sell premium!

LIMITED EDITION & CULT FOLLOWING: YES!

Requirements to insure a collectable car:

-The vehicle is always kept in a fully enclosed, locked, and private garage whenever the vehicle is not being driven. YES

-The vehicle is only used for pleasure use and is never used for back-up transportation or errand running. YES

-The vehicle is only driven a limited number of miles per year. YES

-The vehicle is only driven by experienced drivers with a very good driving history YES

I assume this is it?
Tesla Model S Signature Performance autographed by Elon Musk | eBay

No offense, but I can't honestly imagine anyone paying $75k for it, let alone over $100k. But I know there are people who have a lot more money than me, and it's possible there might be one of them who places $50k value on Elon's signature.
Yes it is.

If I am that lucky to get 6 figures, I'll donate some of the "profits" in Elon's name to charity. I already bought a brick at the Nikola Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe to thank Elon for everything he has done.

Buy a Brick for Nik

Personally, I hope you get your price. It's a beauty!

I never understood the "Statler and Waldorf" comments from people in the balcony (think Muppets in the 80s) who have ZERO intention to purchase.

Why slam a guy by telling him that in your opinion, they are asking too much for their car AND do it on his (or her) thread in a public forum????? Even more perplexing, Why doesn't the forum staff monitor such comments, delete them and warn the offender? As always, JMHO....

One very important thing that makes an automobile valuable is perceived rarity.

If I drove your car to South Coast Plaza I’d probably have a hard time determining which one it was in the parking lot after dinner without clicking the remote to make it flash.

It’s like having a Lexus autographed by Akio Toyoda. Might be worth more in thirty years but nobody will notice it as unique in the service queue.

Personally, I hope you get your price. It's a beauty!

I never understood the "Statler and Waldorf" comments from people in the balcony (think Muppets in the 80s) who have ZERO intention to purchase.

Why slam a guy by telling him that in your opinion, they are asking too much for their car AND do it on his (or her) thread in a public forum????? Even more perplexing, Why doesn't the forum staff monitor such comments, delete them and warn the offender? As always, JMHO....
Thanks for your support.

I don't mind the debate. Valuation, especially with "modern classic cars" is whatever a seller is willing to sell and a buyer is willing to pay. The broker selling the car now has been representing classic car sellers for over 20 years and in his professional view my car is worth over 6 figures today. I've talked to the head buyer/mechanic at one of the biggest private collectors in the US he said "the car will be very desirable but not in your lifetime" I'm hoping someone would rather "buy it now" and enjoy it as I have rather than wait 10-20 years.

One very important thing that makes an automobile valuable is perceived rarity.

If I drove your car to South Coast Plaza I’d probably have a hard time determining which one it was in the parking lot after dinner without clicking the remote to make it flash.

It’s like having a Lexus autographed by Akio Toyoda. Might be worth more in thirty years but nobody will notice it as unique in the service queue.
That's why you need a professional to market the car.

For the same reason you posted your opinion.

you are quite correct in the literal sense however, it couldn't be more different actually.

• I have a widget I want to sell
  • I advertise that widget and set the price I feel is fair
  • You are looking for a widget, see my advertising and check it out
  • You determine my widget is too expensive, nay, overpriced.

Do you start a campaign to tell everyone that visits my advertisement that you think I am screwing people or do you just roll your eyes knowing I am up in the night and move on?

I don't see anywhere in here where the OP asked for opinions on how much his car is worth. Why then, do you feel it is appropriate to publicly offer your opinion? Is it a Goodwill gesture? I think not.

"Stuff for sale" sections are different than the rest of a forum. It's a place forum enthusiasts can offer up their relevant goods to fellow forum enthusiasts and unless the OP asks for our opinion, it should not be given. It's inappropriate to give it.

-Mike drop-.....

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks for your support.

I don't mind the debate. Valuation, especially with "modern classic cars" is whatever a seller is willing to sell and a buyer is willing to pay. The broker selling the car now has been representing classic car sellers for over 20 years and in his professional view my car is worth over 6 figures today. I've talked to the head buyer/mechanic at one of the biggest private collectors in the US he said "the car will be very desirable but not in your lifetime" I'm hoping someone would rather "buy it now" and enjoy it as I have rather than wait 10-20 years.

If your car is not worth worth "six figures", it is no where near worth that much. That is not my opinion it is a fact!. Hiring a broker and paying them a fee is not going to help you sell it for an overpriced value.

Elon's signature on a visor is not worth that much and yes your car is a first build but that doesn't not hold much value.

Your "20 year broker" should be more honest with you. As a broker he should be more responsible with his clients.

And I sure hope the contract that you signed with him does not say that you have to pay him wither or not he sells your car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunshine State