Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering the % of people who need these upgrades to the total population of Tesla FSD cars. I'm guessing less than 5% ...
Even at 5% the rate they seem to be rolling this out our cars will be 10+ years old. At that point most of us maybe have moved on to Plaid ++-Turbo Spaceballs rocket corduroy version with 1000 mile range or what ever they will call it and not be able to move our FSD that we never got to fully utilize.

All I would like is just a timeline. 1 week 1 month 2 years? Do I even need to be on the Safety Score? Some have proven that they got the invite without it.

I believe this person will get FSD Beta in the next wave if their safety score is eligible but to my knowledge they have not sent out more FSD Beta invites yet even to 3 and Y which is why they didn't receive it immediately.
Another interesting twist is that their invoice showed the same incorrect (HW2.0) triple camera part that was almost installed in my car. I wonder if that will matter when/if they get admitted to FSD Beta.

BTW I just verified with my Service Center that this time they have ordered 1120520-00-b for the triple camera.
@azred
Thanks for your DashCam test drive suggestion. As you suspected my NEWLY INSTALLED Triple shows basically B&W video, while my Side & Rear cameras are a vivid color.

My Service Advisors have not yet verified that my Triple Camera was the wrong Part#, but I think WE KNOW!

So aggravating especially since I am a 3 hour drive to the Tesla SC!

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
@azred
Thanks for your DashCam test drive suggestion. As you suspected my NEWLY INSTALLED Triple shows basically B&W video, while my Side & Rear cameras are a vivid color.

My Service Advisors have not yet verified that my Triple Camera was the wrong Part#, but I think WE KNOW!

So aggravating especially since I am a 3 hour drive to the Tesla SC!
That is sad. Make them do a mobile appointment. As their website stated this could be done in less than an hour by mobile techs. Be aggressive. They screwed up and should make it right and not make you take a full day to fix their incompetence.

I believe this person will get FSD Beta in the next wave if their safety score is eligible but to my knowledge they have not sent out more FSD Beta invites yet even to 3 and Y which is why they didn't receive it immediately.
@Lowchrg

If I do get the FSD BETA, in the next wave, will it work properly if I have the wrong camera.

Also, doesn't someone at Tesla in charge of Pushing the next wave , need to be informed that my 2016 MX, now has the Camera Upgrade.

There are so many Tesla examples at Tesla, where the Left Hand, doesn't know what the Right Hand is doing.

@Lowchrg

If I do get the FSD BETA, in the next wave, will it work properly if I have the wrong camera.

Also, doesn't someone at Tesla in charge of Pushing the next wave , need to be informed that my 2016 MX, now has the Camera Upgrade.

There are so many Tesla examples at Tesla, where the Left Hand, doesn't know what the Right Hand is doing.

That's a great question and something I'm wondering myself. If the cars have been changed in Tesla's system to acknowledge new cameras while having old cameras then I'm not quite sure what will happen.

I believe after the camera upgrade has been performed the service center updates the gateway configuration which communicates to Tesla which software your car needs. If the gateway changes match what the dev team programmed for the FSD Beta release software then it should push automatically like with 3, Y, and AP2.5 S/X. I could be wrong but this it how I understand that it works. The software is not manually checked or pushed by a human, just parameters are checked by the system and grants the software if correct.

Reactions: KArnold and Saxman
That's a great question and something I'm wondering myself. If the cars have been changed in Tesla's system to acknowledge new cameras while having old cameras then I'm not quite sure what will happen.

I believe after the camera upgrade has been performed the service center updates the gateway configuration which communicates to Tesla which software your car needs. If the gateway changes match what the dev team programmed for the FSD Beta release software then it should push automatically like with 3, Y, and AP2.5 S/X. I could be wrong but this it how I understand that it works. The software is not manually checked or pushed by a human, just parameters are checked by the system and grants the software if correct.
I brought this up several posts ago. I bet our current cameras work but not well and will run red lights etc. And be unsafe teaching the network wrong info.

@Topgun66
That could be a possibility, however before my Camera Upgrade, my MX already stopped for red lights, stop sign & yield signs. In fact, since my recent upgrade, it still stops for them.
I don't think the red light is the problem. Yellow light is the trouble. I've had my car slamming on the breaks while going through an intersection when it was green initially and turned yellow as I was crossing the stopping line.

I don't think the red light is the problem. Yellow light is the trouble. I've had my car slamming on the breaks while going through an intersection when it was green initially and turned yellow as I was crossing the stopping line.
Reminder to all on what the AP2.0 cameras look like.
See this post:

Tesla MCU1 Upgrade to MCU2 on AP2.0 HW Tesla Dashcam Video Cameras (Back/Rear - five) Windward Oahu
Tesla MCU1 Upgrade to MCU2 on AP2.0 HW Tesla Dashcam Video Cameras (Right of five) Windward Oahu
Tesla MCU1 Upgrade to MCU2 on AP2.0 HW Tesla Dashcam Video Cameras (Left of five) Windward Oahu
Tesla MCU1 Upgrade to MCU2 on AP2.0 HW Tesla Dashcam Video Cameras (Front of five) Kaneohe

Yes, our RCC cameras don't do well with yellow lights. Even the RCCB cameras don't do well with the yellow lights, as can be seen in FSD Beta videos from Chuck Cook & others going back months. Our car with RCC cameras on Autopilot will also slam on the brakes for yellow lights thinking they're red at times. I've learned to keep my foot over the accelerator when using AP in an area with traffic lights to push down the accelerator to get it to go through yellow lights without slamming on the brakes. It will then sometimes scream at me that I'm running a red light because it doesn't know better...

The software is not manually checked or pushed by a human, just parameters are checked by the system and grants the software if correct.
The actual incremental rollout is most likely a manual human step of getting safety scores and then pushing out the version -- anecdotes point to "random" delay (sometime hours vs days) between scores checked and the "random" time (sometime late night vs morning) vehicles start downloading FSD Beta. It seems like there was a push to ~200 vehicles with 99+ scores in the past hour.

Even with the human "approval" step, there most likely is automation to find vehicles with appropriate scores, but unclear if that automation is smart enough to look at individual vehicle configurations (RCCC vs RCCB) or if it was originally set up with say a VIN/date cut-off, which would then need someone to update that automation.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Reminder to all on what the AP2.0 cameras look like.
See this post:

Tesla MCU1 Upgrade to MCU2 on AP2.0 HW Tesla Dashcam Video Cameras (Back/Rear - five) Windward Oahu
Tesla MCU1 Upgrade to MCU2 on AP2.0 HW Tesla Dashcam Video Cameras (Right of five) Windward Oahu
Tesla MCU1 Upgrade to MCU2 on AP2.0 HW Tesla Dashcam Video Cameras (Left of five) Windward Oahu
Tesla MCU1 Upgrade to MCU2 on AP2.0 HW Tesla Dashcam Video Cameras (Front of five) Kaneohe
Thanks and here is what my Dashcam for my 2016 S looks like after Tesla correctly replaced the side cameras but didn’t have the right part to replace the triple. For comparison purposes I have attached an image from my 3 with all updated cameras. Dramatic difference. It is not hard to believe my 3 is better equipped to handle streets than my S.

You can bet I will review Dashcam before terminating the second appointment to install my triple camera😀
51C3CE8A-BB37-4079-AA9A-ECE62910E877.jpeg
4E6D8C8C-11C5-48FB-98E7-FDC741F1A547.jpeg

Last edited:
The actual incremental rollout is most likely a manual human step of getting safety scores and then pushing out the version -- anecdotes point to "random" delay (sometime hours vs days) between scores checked and the "random" time (sometime late night vs morning) vehicles start downloading FSD Beta. It seems like there was a push to ~200 vehicles with 99+ scores in the past hour.

Even with the human "approval" step, there most likely is automation to find vehicles with appropriate scores, but unclear if that automation is smart enough to look at individual vehicle configurations (RCCC vs RCCB) or if it was originally set up with say a VIN/date cut-off, which would then need someone to update that automation.
It's probably a dude dumping out a .xlsx file and filtering columns or doing a vlookup/sumif

Yeah, hopefully they installed the correct triple camera for that poster as I ran into a snag with the wrong one. Even after I asked the service advisor to double check the triple camera part with their parts department they insisted they had the right part and almost installed it until several hours later noticing it was the same triple camera already in my 2016 S. (Posters here tipped me off that there was confusion, which is the only reason I asked them to double check.)

It seems 1120520-00-B is the correct triple camera…or not! The incorrect part per my service invoice, which was nearly installed on my car is 1089531-00-C. Of course I am no parts expert so just ask them to double check that they have the correct part and hope you get the right answer.

I do think they installed the correct side cameras based on the colorful side images when my my car is in reverse. So I think all I need is the correct triple camera.

I hate to say it, but this story is another example of how much Tesla suffers from the lack of experienced employees. Had I not been tipped off by posters on this board, I wouldn’t be surprised if the wrong triple camera would have been installed yesterday.
My appointment for the camera retrofit was this morning... Car is currently still at the SC overnight though :/

Apparently the triple camera they ordered for my car was "broken" (or just the wrong part??)... So they had a nearby SC uber them another, which was (also?) the wrong part. They're going to try again tomorrow.

As of now, the car has updated b piller and repeater cameras installed, but no upgraded triple cam yet. Fingers crossed they sort it out tomorrow.

Reactions: Shateam