Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, all used Tesla's for sale from Tesla made before Sept 2017 no long have FSD included. Just another datapoint that they never intend to roll out Vision based features for our VIN range.

Oh look, a 2017 with HW3, and now just AP. That means Tesla intentionally removed FSD, because there is no other way it could have been upgraded to HW3.

View attachment 723281
I believe the AP2.0 computer is upgraded to HW3 during an MCU2 upgrade regardless if the car has FSD or not.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom and MP3Mike
This is great news and please don’t take this disrespectfully when I ask if you possibly have a source?

There is a A LOT of disappointed and frankly pissed off owners in here who have gotten their hopes up only to be shuttered again. Saying things like this is a spicy game.
Good post. agree. To your point and others, we don't want to get all hyped up about the concept of earlier Telsas with older camera to get FSD full release down the road. As you say, we all been there, done that :)

I'll try to clarify to posts by saying in this particular case, I don't have a "special source". I've been in that April 2017 MX as a passenger a couple days ago when I was down in the bay area. The owner is not an employee, not a contractor, not part of EAP, and no one special associated to Tesla; just a typical retired owner that bought it new in early 2017 and had the HW3 with MCU2 upgrade. He sure drives a hell of a lot better than me with a 100% score.

Frankly, I am somewhat in the camp with some other folks being skeptical that FSD will work without camera upgrade, yet maybe that is just me being negative today. I have no other reason to believe it will or will not work other than speculating by having done image analysis work quite some time ago on these things and for another company. Like all the other FSD betas, likely just one more test. I can see reasons why it could work and reasons why it can't. I am no longer in this loop of information. Thus, don't think my opinion is any more accurate or better than anyone else here. Time will tell.

I don't know the details of the other 2017 April Tesla. Maybe it has new cameras or not. It is a friend and he says no cameras were replaced. As one person said here, best to just wait and see. Hope for the best. ;)

I'm glad you phrased it as "speculation". The earlier post sound to me as more like fact. Perhaps I misunderstood your post :)
I know of two vins from March 2017 and April 2017 in the FSD beta. Of course that doesn't mean it will become a done deal at this point.
I’m sure you wouldn’t deliberately deceive anyone here but you are literally the only source making this claim and my own experience with my 12/2016 S says it’s BS.

• Disagree
Reactions: KrenGrl and FlyF4
Retweeted and commented. Everyone should do the same if you have twitter. Lets be nice this time.
Be nice this time? Like someone here who paid up to TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS is asking for a special favor? Like after FIVE YEARS OF WAITING begging to be treated like every other purchaser of FSD, including those Plaid owners who bought it A MONTH AGO?

OK, we promise to be nicer.

I’m sure you wouldn’t deliberately deceive anyone here but you are literally the only source making this claim and my own experience with my 12/2016 S says it’s BS.
Ok, I see. Because you have a different experience, mine is BS. I guess you know there are some differences in the two cars. Maybe I could say the same, but I try to be nice. Always appreciate your other posts though. Just wait and see. :)
edit: forgot. I am not making a claim that this works if that is what you mean. I'm saying I know for fact of two cars in early 2017 on beta. Who knows if it will ever be final or not

Last edited:
Be nice this time? Like someone here who paid up to TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS is asking for a special favor? Like after FIVE YEARS OF WAITING begging to be treated like every other purchaser of FSD, including those Plaid owners who bought it A MONTH AGO?

OK, we promise to be nicer.
More of we might of got Elon to at least read our posts. Acting like babies won’t motivate him to respond. I think they don’t want to respond because it will cost them a ton of money to retro 1000’s of cars and they want to try and fix through software changes first. Just my speculation. I guess we will know when 10.3 rolls.

Reactions: KrenGrl
Ok, I see. Because you have a different experience, mine is BS. I guess you know there are some differences in the two cars. Maybe I could say the same, but I try to be nice. Always appreciate your other posts though. Just wait and see. :)
edit: forgot. I am not making a claim that this works if that is what you mean. I'm saying I know for fact of two cars in early 2017 on beta. Who knows if it will ever be final or not
Well, all of us who have been tweeting Elon and anyone we think is an influencer could just say gosh, we were wrong and need to stop trying to correct an injustice that doesn’t exist. Or we could say your data points are probably BS and we will keep trying to apply pressure, even if it is rather feeble pressure. Sorry if you are offended but until someone comes forward and says they got the FSD Beta and were originally a HW2.0 car I am going to assume it is BS and keep tweeting.

Does Tesla still offer FSD for purchase to current owners within our VIN ranges?
Yes. I upgraded literally a week ago. I didn't know about the camera thing, I only saw that people were reporting that the safety score and requests beta button was enabled. So for me, that is $5k for the FSD upgrade plus $1,500 for the infotainment upgrade.

BTW, very very happy about the infotainment upgrade. Totally worth it.

More of we might of got Elon to at least read our posts. Acting like babies won’t motivate him to respond. I think they don’t want to respond because it will cost them a ton of money to retro 1000’s of cars and they want to try and fix through software changes first. Just my speculation. I guess we will know when 10.3 rolls.
Acting like babies? Keep digging. China is near.

As for offending the Great and Mighty Elon I could give a rat’s rear end. When he starts providing decent customer service at his Service Centers I will stop complaining. The only reason we are in this black hole concerning FSD Beta communication is that Tesla customer service fell in the toilet when Model 3 was introduced nearly four years ago. Do you think Elon might suddenly make customer service decent again like it was pre-Model 3 if we are just nicer to him?

I have two Teslas and love both of them but will never buy another unless customer service including customer communication makes a 180 — and I don’t care if that offends the boy wonder Elon.

Last edited:

Getting some traction with bigger names.

Thanks to everyone for helping spread the word!
Happy they finally did it! I asked him/them a week ago via his youtube channel. As you see on the bottom he ghosted me when I asked him. LOL. Hope Elon gives us some answers. Good work man

1634692669105.png

Sorry but maybe i.missed this. Are you in an MCU1/AP2 car upgraded to MCU2/AP3 and have the FSD beta? Do you know your original date of manufacture?

Thank you.
I have a July 2017 build (MCU1/AP2) that I upgraded to MCU2/AP3 this past week. I do NOT have the FSD beta (I wouldn't qualify anyway, 93 score).

I was responding to whether Tesla was still allowing people with a 2017 car to upgrade to FSD and the answer is, yes. I literally paid the $5k up charge and got the hardware upgraded after seeing that they were rolling out the FSD beta more widely. In short: They are still actively taking the money of 2017 owners so it would be borderline fraud if they don't deliver on this in the reasonably near future.

I normally change cars after 5 years and mine is now over 4 but I don't see anything in the newer Model X that's interesting enough to give up my unlimited supercharging and the Cybertruck/Roadster 2021 are no where to be seen.

It seems like the fairest (and frankly, easiest, smartest) thing for Tesla to do would be to attach the FSD purchase to the person rather than the car. This would give an incentive for loyal Tesla owners (I have 3) to continue buying new Teslas and would cost Tesla nothing.