Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here, got perfect score of 100 and I didn't get 10.3. After seeing lot's of people getting it (newer cars) I decided to bail out, it's back to Luda for me and feels good to drive like my old normal. I did open a ticket with SC to upgrade my cameras but they have zero clue how to do it even after I sent them Elon's tweet. I feel like Tesla let me down but I would lie if this would be the first I felt it.
They absolutely know how to do it.

The cameras we need are the ones in use for the entire fleet since about Q3 2017. So if any 3, Y, S, or X popped into the shop next week because they damaged their camera by accident, they’d order one and install it.

They are, as usual, unprepared to do it (Remember the MCU upgrade? The FSD computer upgrade?) and Elon is tweeting before they have procedures to order those parts without it affecting their Service Center’s profitability metrics. If they do it for us now, they (the Service Center) have to eat that charge and their performance reward suffers.

I chatted with them on Friday about this and after being assured my X was ready, I gave up. But I opened a new service appointment now and I’m going in for the camera upgrade. I don’t honestly care what they have to do - that’s Tesla’s problem, not mine.

Reactions: pilotSteve
They absolutely know how to do it.

The cameras we need are the ones in use for the entire fleet since about Q3 2017. So if any 3, Y, S, or X popped into the shop next week because they damaged their camera by accident, they’d order one and install it.

They are, as usual, unprepared to do it (Remember the MCU upgrade? The FSD computer upgrade?) and Elon is tweeting before they have procedures to order those parts without it affecting their Service Center’s profitability metrics. If they do it for us now, they (the Service Center) have to eat that charge and their performance reward suffers.

I chatted with them on Friday about this and after being assured my X was ready, I gave up. But I opened a new service appointment now and I’m going in for the camera upgrade. I don’t honestly care what they have to do - that’s Tesla’s problem, not mine.
Several of us have made appointments and been denied and had it canceled. I argued for hours through the app to keep the appointment but no joy. Was canceled.

Screenshot_20211024-123432_Tesla.jpg

I think my SC had the best response.

Just because an upgrade is needed doesn't mean it's actually available.

Also placed a service appointment for cameras.

It’s fine if they blow us off and cancel them but as long as we’re putting the pressure on and the service department is physically reading and canceling them then I think it’s a good sign. They’ll get annoyed and start passing it up the chain and hopefully a fix will come for us sooner rather than later.

I suggest everyone place a appointment even if they cancel it. As for those who say not to bombard them when they have no answers I agree but I’ve run out of sympathy for this company. It seems the only way to get things done is to annoy someone.

Also placed a service appointment for cameras.

It’s fine if they blow us off and cancel them but as long as we’re putting the pressure on and the service department is physically reading and canceling them then I think it’s a good sign. They’ll get annoyed and start passing it up the chain and hopefully a fix will come for us sooner rather than later.

I suggest everyone place a appointment even if they cancel it. As for those who say not to bombard them when they have no answers I agree but I’ve run out of sympathy for this company. It seems the only way to get things done is to annoy someone.
My nephew worked at a service center over last two summers. Says you are likely wasting your time as the service center will want to see a service bulletin from Tesla before they do anything about your camera issue and not charge you for it. Just one person's opinion of course. Annoying the service center will NOT help in his opinion.

My nephew worked at a service center over last two summers. Says you are likely wasting your time as the service center will want to see a service bulletin from Tesla before they do anything about your camera issue and not charge you for it. Just one person's opinion of course. Annoying the service center will NOT help in his opinion.
Annoy the crap out of them. Everyone should at least make one attempt. Each service center is different. Some are more willing to go the extra mile and cracks the code to get things done. Seen it many times over the years owning Tesla’s. If we can get one service center to do the upgrade then we have sort of a roadmap for others.

Annoy the crap out of them. Everyone should at least make one attempt. Each service center is different. Some are more willing to go the extra mile and cracks the code to get things done. Seen it many times over the years owning Tesla’s. If we can get one service center to do the upgrade then we have sort of a roadmap for others.

Zero of them can do it until Tesla publishes the official directions for doing it (and doing it for free especially for FSD owners) not just ordering the HW (since some of those parts are currently VIN restricted and they LITERALLY CAN NOT order them for cars it doesn't apply to) but also the SW config as there currently is no such config existing for HW2 delivered car with HW2.5 cameras in the system.

There's nothing whatsoever bugging an SC accomplishes in this case besides annoying the people who you'll eventually be trusting to work on your car and wasting both their time and your own.

I’ve waited so long now. I’ll offer to pay for the darn cameras if it makes me get them now rather than next summer

There’s a couple threads from a while back where folks acquired modern cameras (eBay / wrecked cars /etc ?). They swapped out their old 2.0 cameras. Apparently if you then load a pending SW update, the car will configure itself and full color imaging happens. As we know, this auto config does not happen with all/most parts. I’ve asked what may be the main thread whether there are any successful FSD beta upgrades on such cars. No evidence of such. Not surprising. But it was a fun diversion : )

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
I suggest everyone place a appointment even if they cancel it. As for those who say not to bombard them when they have no answers I agree but I’ve run out of sympathy for this company. It seems the only way to get things done is to annoy someone
I made an appointment on Friday in "Full Self-Driving Computer" category specifying "Upgrade all AP 2.0 RCCC cameras to RCCB FSD" attaching pic of EM twit - it has not been cancelled yet, scheduled for Oct 27, so, they still have time to cancel it, actually expecting it on Mon

Reactions: gaspi101
Just to clear up some confusion here a restricted part means tesla must install at the service center. It makes perfect sense for this to be so this is the main eye for our tesla's. It requires careful calibration with a bunch of stationary signs with specific locations. Would you want to take the liability replacing these camera's? What if you had an accident and they pointed it back to improper installation? I paid only 30 bucks to have the latest triple cam installed at the service center. Later this week I will have all the cams upgraded and will be the guinea pig here. The build can be edited just like they did with the 60 --> 75 pack. There is a configurable area in the MCU to specify V2 cams once this is changed from V1 to V2 we should be good. The time to replace all the cams realistically is 30 mins for a well seasoned tesla tech. Nothing is stopping you from going to tesla parts counter in the service center and ordering all the upgraded cams. If you want the updated PN's they are in the EPC parts catalog online. I had to educate the service and parts advisors on this whole camera debacle last week. They were very appreciative as Corporate is always leaving them in the dark.

Here are all the updated Camera Parts to bring you up to a Jan 2021 Build for a MS

INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3 1120520-00-B
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RH 1642011-00-A
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LH 1642010-00-A
APPLIQUE,MS,B PLR,RH ASSY 1496709-S0-B
APPLIQUE,MS,B PLR,LH ASSY 1496707-S0-B
Backup Camera doesn't need to be upgraded using same model# and is RGGB

Last edited:
View attachment 725254
I guess it is a good thing we did not get it. From what I am reading the are reverting everyone even cars who have been testing for a year now back to a production build.
Yours is a completely reasonable opinion, but I’d actually prefer to be a part of the testing, both good and bad. It at least gets our foot in the door. For now, we’re stuck waiting with no timeline or plan from Tesla. The process is just frustrating: let’s tweet until an influencer tweets Elon. What a circus. Sorry to sound so negative. I truly hope our luck improves.