Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I retweeted several times in different places. Also wrote to Mars to keep up the pressure. He said "ok" and followed me. Funny I have never tweeted in 6 years of having a twitter account. This issues has made me mental. I had a nice 14 Model S with AP1. Bought a 17 so I could someday have FSD. 30K more and what do I have? A newer car that does basically the same thing.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I literally just spent $1500 on MCU2 last week too, lol. Its crazy because MCU2 opened up a ton of new features and dash visualizations (signs, road markings, objects, etc). Strange to me that it can show all these upgrades but still not enough to run Beta.
I had EAP so I paid $2000 for MCU2 but that included HW3 (I never paid the 5k for FSD) ... I thought it was a "bargain" at the time.

Now I paid 99$ for a month to subscribe to FSD and I feel that unlike you guys who paid for real FSD they will make me pay for camera upgrade (if they even come up with it)

It's sort of insincere for Elon to say "all included in the price" (cameras and FSD computer) when folks needed to spend $1500-2500 to make sure the FSD computer actually works (with MCU2)
I guess he believes MCU2 is not needed for the production version of FSD, but it is needed to be a "FSD beta tester"
He doesn't even recommend the MCU2 upgrade

I guess he believes MCU2 is not needed for the production version of FSD, but it is needed to be a "FSD beta tester"

AFAIK I’ve heard that this is true and that everything but the visualization is supported through the FSD computer and not the MCU. MCU1 will function with FSD but with limited visualization which is currently crucial for beta testing and knowing what your car is about to do.

I think their intention is to get it working to the point the visualizations aren’t needed as much and then FSD will get pushed into MCU1 builds. But that could be….years…many many more years.

MCU2 was worth it for me. Everything is just faster. Voice recognition when calling, navigation, the maps, TuneIn, streaming, etc.

And unlike FSD, I actually got something tangible.

Just spent $1500 on MCU2 too...
Even worse, I spent $2500 while it was till under warranty because the some stupid update started displaying "MCU degraded...." and I upgraded after much though and then they dropped the price 3 weeks later and price match requests went unnoticed. Which is why I'm digging more into FSD beta if it's using MCU as well, if it is, then even MCU upgrade should be covered/reimbursed as it was always stated "All parts needed for in FSD are included in the upgrade cost"

As far as I know they are using MCU for FSD Beta, and will need it going further. The NAV data is being provided MCU and I don't know how they will navigate without NAV Data. Also, I'm not sure where they can get the speed limit data on a street the car just turned into and hasn't yet seen a speed sign yet if MCU doesn't provide this info yet, they won't know until the vision sees a street sign.

AFAIK I’ve heard that this is true and that everything but the visualization is supported through the FSD computer and not the MCU. MCU1 will function with FSD but with limited visualization which is currently crucial for beta testing and knowing what your car is about to do.

I think their intention is to get it working to the point the visualizations aren’t needed as much and then FSD will get pushed into MCU1 builds. But that could be….years…many many more years.
Well, what about all the basic operations that the car fails to do. A simple as voice commands or navigating without crashing..

Reactions: c0smicdirt
So who is going to buy the 3 camera module from a newer car to replace their old module? It would be interesting to see if the car recognized it and updated itself.

Should just be plug and play. No explanation why Tesla acts like this is some major operation. They have known for four years and couldnt prepare? Elon cares only about the next car he will sell. Not about the ones that carried this company

Should just be plug and play. No explanation why Tesla acts like this is some major operation. They have known for four years and couldnt prepare? Elon cares only about the next car he will sell. Not about the ones that carried this company
Even though the camera will work, it cause the Tesla database to see that beta can be deployed to the car. No mechanism for this swap to cause a gateway/database change.

That's what I'm wondering. If the car knows its the new module there is no reason it cannot report that back. Do we have evidence of this either way?
I have a 2016 MS Oct. Build all cams have been upgraded to the latest except b-pillar. I've ordered them at Tesla Parts should be in this week. Once they are installed having the techs adjust the MCU config to enable "V2" cams. They can edit my build and I will push for that seeing cams will be up to date to a Jan 2021 build. Will keep you guys up to date as things progress.