Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 MS Oct. Build all cams have been upgraded to the latest except b-pillar. I've ordered them at Tesla Parts should be in this week. Once they are installed having the techs adjust the MCU config to enable "V2" cams. They can edit my build and I will push for that seeing cams will be up to date to a Jan 2021 build. Will keep you guys up to date as things progress.
Good luck and keep us posted. I am really curious if this will work (and I hope it does). I have a March 2017 build Model X, and after reading this whole thread got really tempted to try to replace all the cameras myself as well, but I refuse to do it on principle. I’m just a little salty that early supporters that put our money where our mouth is with FSD have basically been pushed aside and left to try to come up with a solution on our own, while folks that just got a Model 3 and a fresh FSD subscription got to reap the benefits of being included in the beta…At this point, I am just going to wait it out and see if Elon makes good on the camera replacement tweet he so nonchalantly fired off.

Good luck and keep us posted. I am really curious if this will work (and I hope it does). I have a March 2017 build Model X, and after reading this whole thread got really tempted to try to replace all the cameras myself as well, but I refuse to do it on principle. I’m just a little salty that early supporters that put our money where our mouth is with FSD have basically been pushed aside and left to try to come up with a solution on our own, while folks that just got a Model 3 and a fresh FSD subscription got to reap the benefits of being included in the beta…At this point, I am just going to wait it out and see if Elon makes good on the camera replacement tweet he so nonchalantly fired off.
I have no doubt they'll make good on the promise, but I don't want to wait months like the FSD computer upgrade...

Reactions: Dr Doom and technoz
I'm sure they'll make good on the promise, but it might take a year or more. That is what upsets me the most. We should not be penalized for having bought cars when Tesla first began promising FSD. Thousands of owners who bought cheaper cars that gave Tesla less profit now have FSD & we don't...

I have a 2016 MS Oct. Build all cams have been upgraded to the latest except b-pillar. I've ordered them at Tesla Parts should be in this week. Once they are installed having the techs adjust the MCU config to enable "V2" cams. They can edit my build and I will push for that seeing cams will be up to date to a Jan 2021 build. Will keep you guys up to date as things progress.
Do you have a 99 or 100 score?

I don't think it's going to happen automatically. I think @technoz updated the triple cam and the side repeaters so far, and doesn't appear the car automatically updated.

Absolutely does not happen automatically- newer cams have to be indicated in vehicle config- technoz even called out he'd need a tech to do that for him.

(That said, assuming the tech actually does it- his is the first case I've ever heard of a tesla tech making a vehicle config change that isn't officially supported by a service instruction from corporate)

Do you have a 99 or 100 score?
I have had a 100% score for 2 weeks and still no beta even with new triple cam and side repeaters. When I'm at the service center and they all are upgraded next week I am going to push them hard. I have a great relationship with the Service Advisors and they will help me fight with corp. If I paid for all the cameras out of pocket I would think they would want me to test. LOL. Need to find out what corp is looking for config wise before it pushes out.

Reactions: BeesKnees
I have had a 100% score for 2 weeks and still no beta even with new triple cam and side repeaters. When I'm at the service center and they all are upgraded next week I am going to push them hard. I have a great relationship with the Service Advisors and they will help me fight with corp. If I paid for all the cameras out of pocket I would think they would want me to test. LOL. Need to find out what corp is looking for config wise before it pushes out.
How much are the cams?

Reactions: Dr Doom
I have no doubt they'll make good on the promise, but I don't want to wait months like the FSD computer upgrade...
As my S will be five years old in December, I have waited more than long enough. But my 3 has the Beta and it is so bad I wouldn’t want it on both cars. It’s one thing to have “fun” on one car but nice to have a car that isn’t all jacked up. I will be unhappy as Hell if it takes more than say 3 or 4 months to get the new cameras, but I’ll bet it will be at least that long until the Beta is useful. I realize the Beta tests started a year ago but it has only been a matter of a few months since the all-cameras approach started.

On a semi-humorous note, my appointment to upgrade cameras made last week still hasn’t been cancelled. Do I think I might be the unique customer who will get the cameras? Of course not. This is just an example of Tesla Service communication, which has been horrible to non-existent ever since 3’s production ramp-up in 2018.

I hope everyone will schedule camera appointments and reschedule them every month or so. Anything we can do to make ourselves more visible might help a little. I am tweeting and retweeting Elon and the influencers, too.

Last edited:
Or they’re too busy to get around to it.
Funny think is I used to kid Service Center about being the Maytag Repairmen during the period before Model 3 when they often seemed to have more techs than cars to work on. Communication was no problem, nor was timely service appointments. Oh well, I guess it‘s ok if they’re too busy to get around to communicating with me. After all, I haven’t bought a new Tesla in almost four years.

Reactions: pilotSteve
From my local service center:
....... I would suggest
keeping an eye on the
upgrade section of your
mobile app as that will be the
first place it is listed once
available for your vehicle.
Once again, thank you and
have a great day”

That's an interesting reply from the service center. I suppose it could be true you might see this in the app in the future, yet in the past I have never seen a notice in my app about "free upgrades" such as HW3, etc. I'm seen notices about things they want me to buy. I doubt it will first appear in the app.

I have September 2017 model S with originally came with 2.5 HW which was upgraded to 3. I opted out and in last Thursday with 100 score. When I nearly given up that I would ever get FSD beta, finally it downloaded today.

Lol, congratulations I guess? Why you gotta pour salt into our wounds like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Beta 10.4 coming next Friday afternoon to everyone with a 98 and up so keeps expanding as older cars are left behind with no schedule being established for the upgrade
What was the point of allowing cars with AP 2.0 to even join the beta if there was no feasible pathway for them to get the beta update? Doesn't make sense. just seems like we spent weeks driving like idiots/grandmas for no particular reason.

Reactions: pilotSteve