Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry man lol. I nearly given up on this. So I thought I will let you guys know that after August 2017 made vehicles, its working.
Thank you, but we already knew that AP2.5 cars get the beta.
This thread is abotu AP2.0 getting screwed! I have a PERFECT 100, yes, not rounded, PERFECT 100, and almost 1000 miles, and I AM GETTING SCREWD!

Attachments

• IMG_5277.PNG
    IMG_5277.PNG
    245.6 KB · Views: 74
Oh. The computer upgrade? sorry didn't realize it was called HW3. my mistake.

Well to be fair Tesla is pretty terrible about naming stuff.

They've had multiple different (unrelated!) things called EAP (enhanced autopilot, early access program)
They've had multiple different (unrelated!) things called PUP (premium upgrade package, performance upgrade package)
They've had at least 2 distinct versions of FSD sold (pre/post March 2019)

The current (most current I should say) driving computer in the car was called HW3 for a long time, eventually they renamed it the "full self driving computer" but many still use the old (much shorter to type) term.

Prior to that it made some sense to discuss the entire AP/FSD hardware suite as one "thing"

AP1.0 was one thing (specific sensors and a specific computer all together)

AP2.0 was one thing (specific, different, sensors and a specific computer all together)

AP2.5 was one thing (specific, different again though less drastically different, sensors, and a specific computer (and some other bits like greater redundancy))

There's not really an "AP3" though. Just the driving computer upgrade. The cameras and ultrasonics and radar (on cars that have radar) are all the same as 2.5.

We know there's also a HW4 computer coming next year-- allegedly with next-gen cameras (though we have no further details) so that could potentially create...well, I dunno if you'd call it AP3 or just skip that to avoid confusion and call it AP4.

Which, BTW, might be one reason they're not in a rush to upgrade AP2 cameras. Maybe they're thinking everyone will need HW4 cameras for "real" FSD and don't wanna have to double-upgrade everyone...(we already have a pretty good idea they're never going to be able to get past L2 with the HW3 computer)

Made a mobile appointment. The service advisor wanted me to cancel and for the first couple of days asked me to give him permission to cancel, but I never explicitly said he could. I just kept expressing my disappointment about how AP2 FSD owners are being treated. It definitely reminds me a lot like how Tesla treats MCU1 owners. To my surprise the tech actually showed up today. Apparently he was already in the area for something else and needed to perform a service bulletin job for the X’s ball joints. It was all very odd. I’ve met the tech once before and he is good at his job and very nice so I didn’t want to push him on the camera situation too much.
1304220D-EE8F-408A-B673-DDBD5F18525E.jpeg

Reactions: gaswalla
Made a mobile appointment. The service advisor wanted me to cancel and for the first couple of days asked me to give him permission to cancel, but I never explicitly said he could. I just kept expressing my disappointment about how AP2 FSD owners are being treated. It definitely reminds me a lot like how Tesla treats MCU1 owners. To my surprise the tech actually showed up today. Apparently he was already in the area for something else and needed to perform a service bulletin job for the X’s ball joints. It was all very odd. I’ve met the tech once before and he is good at his job and very nice so I didn’t want to push him on the camera situation too much.
View attachment 726546
Also from what I can tell, this service bulletin doesn’t even apply to 2017’s?

I called up the 800 service number today to confirm my Dec 2016 MS, which had the MCU2 and FSD computer upgraded last year, did indeed require a camera update. I wasn’t too optimistic, but my service invoice included a line about the triple camera, so thought maybe just maybe I had it replaced last year. No such luck. After looking up my info they said my car would require the the camera upgrade for FSD.

But here’s the good news: the woman I spoke with seemed quite familiar with our situation, and she said it should happen “soon”, because they just got a bulletin/memo about it a couple days ago. She said usually when this sort of notification happens internally things begin to happen. So perhaps now I’m being too optimistic but I feel this is good news for us.

I called up the 800 service number today to confirm my Dec 2016 MS, which had the MCU2 and FSD computer upgraded last year, did indeed require a camera update. I wasn’t too optimistic, but my service invoice included a line about the triple camera, so thought maybe just maybe I had it replaced last year. No such luck. After looking up my info they said my car would require the the camera upgrade for FSD.

But here’s the good news: the woman I spoke with seemed quite familiar with our situation, and she said it should happen “soon”, because they just got a bulletin/memo about it a couple days ago. She said usually when this sort of notification happens internally things begin to happen. So perhaps now I’m being too optimistic but I feel this is good news for us.

This guy is saying service is contacting owners to schedule upgrades. Maybe it will be soon. Not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Sorry man lol. I nearly given up on this. So I thought I will let you guys know that after August 2017 made vehicles, its working.
Not necessarily true… I also have a September 2017 Model S (looks to be about 150 cars away from when they started putting 2.5 cameras into the 75), if the VIN counting is sequential, and my 100 score from day 1 didn’t get me anything but frustration.

Oldest MS I've seen so far is September 2017.
I got my MS on Aug 22, 2017 and I have AP 2.0 with RCCC cameras. I have done both the free HW3 upgrade and the $1500 MCU2 upgrade. No FSD Beta for me! :(.

When my car was being built, I knew these hardware changes (AP 2.5) were being made but my sales advisor told me it was too late for my car. So I think my car was one of the last vehicles made with the old cameras. I also missed out on Smart Air Suspension being included as well.

• Informative
Reactions: dbldwn02 and emchen

I hope we all get the camera upgrade. Honestly, don’t you feel that Tesla sometimes is flying by the seat of Elon’s pants and making it up as they go along? It seems so chaotic and disorganized. They should’ve figured out this camera upgrade before inviting people to FSD beta few months ago and doing the safety score. Also I am concerned that the service centers are all packed. They may need months to get the parts available and get us scheduled to replace our cameras. Hoping I am wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Tesomega and emchen