Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 MS 75D October Build and had the FSD computer and did the following upgrades below. Guess I will head down to tesla parts tomorrow and upgrade the B-pillar cameras too and that should cover everything. Also will check and see how this vehicle shows up in there system vs a 2018 MS. My score sucked during the last rollout of FSD but now i'm at 100
1. Infotainment Upgrade
2. Front Triple Cam
3. Side Repeater Cameras
Did you self upgrade the cameras or Tesla SC did it ?

What does this mean ? How do you "head down to tesla parts"
"I will head down to tesla parts tomorrow and upgrade the B-pillar cameras"

Did you self upgrade the cameras or Tesla SC did it ?

What does this mean ? How do you "head down to tesla parts"
"I will head down to tesla parts tomorrow and upgrade the B-pillar cameras"
The triple cam is a restricted part meaning Tesla must install and calibrate. All other cameras can be purchased at Tesla parts department. Triple cam was like $200 installed and $130 for each side repeater cams.

The triple cam is a restricted part meaning Tesla must install and calibrate. All other cameras can be purchased at Tesla parts department. Triple cam was like $200 installed and $130 for each side repeater cams.

Please report back! If you can do it before Friday that would be great info to have from the next rollout but obviously that’s under your own discretion. But it would confirm a possible solution if we still don’t get it but your car does.

Can you please DM the invoice for these upgrades? SC is claiming that they have now way to charge or bill for this work. Having the codes they used when charging you for this would help me greatly.

Reactions: MikeScarne
Tesla should be paying for these upgrades if that is the path Tesla is going not including our cars in FSD.

On a 2016 Model X with AP2>AP3/MCU2 with the button it most definitely sees and shows yellow traffic signals on the visualizations. It can see red and green and yellow. Even when there is a sole yellow flashing light not part of a three light cluster it sees that single yellow light.
Thanks for confirming. It does seem like technically, FSD Beta should work at least reasonable well compared to those with newer cameras, so maybe Tesla has other concerns about deploying such as potentially especially erratic behavior from neural network mispredictions as training data might have mostly been from different cameras. However, they should be able to test that in shadow mode or even just deploy with additional warning for the hardware configuration. Unless there is some known issue that's too unsafe to send to customers.

Reactions: Khashoggi
On a 2016 Model X with AP2>AP3/MCU2 with the button it most definitely sees and shows yellow traffic signals on the visualizations. It can see red and green and yellow. Even when there is a sole yellow flashing light not part of a three light cluster it sees that single yellow light.
It does seem like technically, FSD Beta should work at least reasonable well compared to those with newer cameras, so maybe Tesla has other concerns about deploying such as potentially especially erratic behavior from neural network mispredictions as training data might have mostly been from different cameras. However, they should be able to test that in shadow mode or even just deploy with additional warning for the hardware configuration. Unless there is some known issue that's too unsafe to send to customers.

My originally HW 2.0 car is reliably worse at determining light color than my Model 3, especially at night. In intersections that I've crossed, especially with yellow blinking lights, my Model 3 go through them with a gentle accelerator press, while my S goes into full panic thinking the lights are red. Same intersections at the same time of day produce different results, and that's for a feature that's supposedly released and has revenue recognized against it.

Thanks for confirming. It does seem like technically, FSD Beta should work at least reasonable well compared to those with newer cameras, so maybe Tesla has other concerns about deploying such as potentially especially erratic behavior from neural network mispredictions as training data might have mostly been from different cameras. However, they should be able to test that in shadow mode or even just deploy with additional warning for the hardware configuration. Unless there is some known issue that's too unsafe to send to customers.

I’m totally fine with knowing my hardware is not compatible yet and to wait for more training but this just needs to be communicated so we can stop with the safety score nonsense if it’s futile in the end.

My originally HW 2.0 car is reliably worse at determining light color than my Model 3, especially at night. In intersections that I've crossed, especially with yellow blinking lights, my Model 3 go through them with a gentle accelerator press, while my S goes into full panic thinking the lights are red. Same intersections at the same time of day produce different results, and that's for a feature that's supposedly released and has revenue recognized against it.

Anecdotal but I’ve not had a single issue with stop light control in my AP2.0 Model S, it’s actually one of the most reliable features out of the entire suite for me. Never blown a light or misread yellow for red. It appropriately times the yellows too and will go through if it’s already close enough.

Maybe your vehicle is in need of that TSB?

Anecdotal but I’ve not had a single issue with stop light control in my AP2.0 Model S, it’s actually one of the most reliable features out of the entire suite for me. Never blown a light or misread yellow for red. It appropriately times the yellows too and will go through if it’s already close enough.

Maybe your vehicle is in need of that TSB?
The intersections in question for me are those that are known R-Y-G when operating normally during the day, but at off-peak / night times, they operate in a blinking red or blinking yellow depending on the direction. These are instances where context clues like whether this light current lit is above or below the last light are not available, and must entirely rely on color. Daytime with normal operating modes work properly, yes, but at night and in any blinking situations, it is reliably incorrect when my other car isnt.

The intersections in question for me are those that are known R-Y-G when operating normally during the day, but at off-peak / night times, they operate in a blinking red or blinking yellow depending on the direction. These are instances where context clues like whether this light current lit is above or below the last light are not available, and must entirely rely on color. Daytime with normal operating modes work properly, yes, but at night and in any blinking situations, it is reliably incorrect when my other car isnt.

Interesting details, that’s good to know. Thanks for sharing!