Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone remember how long it took from the time Elon tweeted we could upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 to the time the Service Centers were actually ready to perform it??

Get ready for a looong wait everyone!
Not only did it take a long time but Service Center staff were clueless about when/if it would happen. You can bet the same thing will happen again. I have waited five years and will probably wait another year now. But at least I plan to keep my S at least another five years. But think of all of the people who leased their cars or had them totaled. Bottom line for Tesla is they can screw around with this and really slash the cost to them as more and more of these cars leave service.

Now that Superchargers are going to open to other brands — assuming Musk isn’t lying about that! — I hope many of you follow my plan to buy anything but a Tesla electric car for my next car. Musk is a brilliant engineer but apparently he never learned the value of repeat customers. We all remember all of his BS over the years of how much he appreciated those of us who gambled big bucks that his company would survive. But these days he is much more interested in infantile tweets than us.

Last edited:
Booked mobile service soonest I could. We shall see what they come back with. The SC is like an hour away so it defaulted to mobile service. Will report back when they probably reach back to me tomorrow during business hours. You better believe I included the Elon tweet as a picture for the service request
I just made an appointment, too. It will be interesting to see how they explain the cancellation of it💩

I just made an appointment, too. It will be interesting to see how they explain the cancellation of it💩
I did the same with screenshot Elon's tweet attached, haven't done this before for any product I have purchased so far :D

Swapping RCCC cameras to RCCB cameras seems much much easier compared to MCU1 -> MCU2 retrofit, so hopefully the SCs get this act right easily and no issues with spare parts.

What a pitiful poor excuse for a man.

I've scheduled mobile service for Monday. I'm sure it won't happen, they will be clueless, have no waiting list, no notification system, and so on. Been there, done that.

Guess it could be worse when they pull this trick with HW4 on everyone. Yes, it's going to happen well before anything beyond a beta, L2, crippleware.

Elon needs to look over his shoulder too. Just saw a commercial for Super Cruise showing automated lane changes. Essentially what we have today. Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear. With his utter disdain for his customers, I'm sure many would jump ship for a similar competitive product.

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
BTW, I didn't see it mentioned but I'd estimate a roughly 99.8% chance the camera upgrade includes a rear view mirror upgrade to ADD the interior camera for driver monitoring.

Why would they add the task of a major wiring harness change requiring the removal of the headliner and curtain airbags and dashboard to what could otherwise be a straightforward 1:1 parts swap that just brings it up to spec with it's slightly newer sister cars?

Like OP, I choked a bit this morning. and it wasn't because of lack of feeling this was the route, but the lack of planning or even giving an F. I've scheduled the soonest appt (Nov 4), so maybe by then, they will have a clue.

Not holding my breath to see FSD this year :(

(and equally excited that I soon will be able to drive my car again, really frustrated by 1 month of sub-par driving for nothing)!

EDIT: Thinking I'm going to take a likely no gamble, and drive down to the huge new SC here in Austin. Being Tesla's new HQ, maybe just maybe, there is a lead there that would have the strings to pull, to be the first SC to accomplish the upgrade. (totally anticipating them laughing me away, but otherwise I feel like this 1 month of game was for absolutely nothing. )

Last edited:
Damn Elon just realized today we need new cameras? Sounds like we are in for a loooong wait..
Yes. Just took a gamble on that one...

unknown.png

Trying my very hardest to get word around on this and make more prominent news sources and influencers aware of it. It seems the only way Tesla will do something is 1) litigation as you stated and 2) a news article / influencer speaking out.

I feel like I’m screaming at a wall.
Totally agree with you and understand you feelings on this issue. Wonder if a lot of YouTubers could start talking about it and help get the word out.

I just made a mobile service appointment specifying I want the RCCC AP 2.0 cameras upgraded to the RCCB FSD cameras, and I also attaching the twitter screen shot from Elon’s tweet. The appointment is for this coming Tuesday, so hopefully I’ll have some info for you guys soon.
I did the same. Earliest appointment for me is Thursday 10/28 and its a mobile appointment. I am also going to call my service center today to see if they have received any other requests like this.

Thats pretty disappointing. I find it pretty astonishing that they continue to allow people (like me) in late 2021 to pay thousands of dollars to “upgrade” to FSD knowing that the car is not physically capable of it.

I paid and got the upgraded hardware last week. It involved being without my car for 3 days and a 2 hour drive to the SC. Not only a waste of time but also $6,000 just thrown into the wind.

I’d never have done this if Tesla had just been honest about where they’re at.

I find it pretty astonishing that they continue to allow people (like me) in late 2021 to pay thousands of dollars to “upgrade” to FSD knowing that the car is not physically capable of it.
That is your take away from "early production cars will need camera upgrades, as well as FSD computer (all included in the price)" ???

You are given the ability to upgrade your car with the hardware included... but all you see is fraud?

And the fact that it is a pretty easy swap...

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Why would they add the task of a major wiring harness change requiring the removal of the headliner and curtain airbags and dashboard to what could otherwise be a straightforward 1:1 parts swap that just brings it up to spec with it's slightly newer sister cars?

I don't think it'd be nearly as difficult as you suggest-remember the mirror hangs from the same assembly as 3 of the cameras they're already going to swap out and which already have a data connection available to the assembly.

Not sure why they'd need to touch most of the items you list at all.

As to why, because regulators will require such a driver monitoring system for ADAS- the EU already has those regs on the books (which is part of why Tesla began repurposing the never-meant-to-do-this-job cameras in the 3/Y in the first place).

That is your take away from "early production cars will need camera upgrades, as well as FSD computer (all included in the price)" ???

You are given the ability to upgrade your car with the hardware included... but all you see is fraud?

And the fact that it is a pretty easy swap...
I think people are upset that it took Tesla this long to acknowledge this, not because of the fact that it's needed.

I think people are upset that it took Tesla this long to acknowledge this, not because of the fact that it's needed.
No, this particular user says he is astonished that they still OFFER the option to upgrade on his 2.0 car.
But WITH that upgrade option you get the hardware updates as well!

Looks like a solid deal unless you are just biotching just to biotch on the forums.

Also, astonished that Tesla offers options... OPTIONS - to the end user! WTF!