Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope we all get the camera upgrade. Honestly, don’t you feel that Tesla sometimes is flying by the seat of Elon’s pants and making it up as they go along? It seems so chaotic and disorganized. They should’ve figured out this camera upgrade before inviting people to FSD beta few months ago and doing the safety score. Also I am concerned that the service centers are all packed. They may need months to get the parts available and get us scheduled to replace our cameras. Hoping I am wrong.
I don't know that these few camera upgrades would flood service centers...

I looked up Tesla quarterly deliveries for Q4/16 and Q1,2,3/17 and it was roughly 25k/qtr so we're looking at a total of around 100k cars.
If you consider, some of these have been wrecked.
How many bought FSD?
Of those that bought FSD, how many upgraded to MCU2?
Those that got MCU2, how many are aware of "the button" and pushed it?
And lastly, how many of those that pushed the button follow Elon on Twitter or follow these forums or reddit etc.? And even know about camera upgrades?

Examples. I was walking around my neighborhood and saw a guy shining up his M3. I asked him, did you get to try FSD Beta? He said I don't have FSD, didn't pay for it. I said, you know you can pay for the monthly subscription, get the FSD request button, bla bla bla...
He had no clue about the beta request, never heard of the safety score, nothing...

Then I thought I'd call up a friend I know that bought a M3 2 years ago, and asked him if he bought FSD, he said yes... I ask him: so did you get in the Beta? He said, what's that! I was like wow, you don't know? He asked, know what?
I couldn't believe it, I told him to go to his autopilot tab and he should see the beta request button... he found it and had no clue that it was even there, and hadn't heard of the safety score.

So long story short, many are clueless any of this is even happening; so out of 100k cars I don't know how many of these will be running to the SC for new cameras.

I looked up Tesla quarterly deliveries for Q4/16 and Q1,2,3/17 and it was roughly 25k/qtr so we're looking at a total of around 100k cars.
How many bought FSD?
And lastly, how many of those that pushed the button follow Elon on Twitter or follow these forums or reddit etc.? And even know about camera upgrades?
In addition to that, how many of those cars were leases that have been returned to Tesla and then sold back without FSD? I think the number of cars needed cameras upgrade is even smaller

My service appointment was just cancelled. I pushed back. But got this reply ‘I can with confidence tell you that we are not currently contacting customers for the camera replacements’. Oh well

haha, you really think that service centers are going to proactively reach out to customers when you can't even get a hold of them by calling them?

I don't know that these few camera upgrades would flood service centers...

How many bought FSD?

Examples. I was walking around my neighborhood and saw a guy shining up his M3. I asked him, did you get to try FSD Beta? He said I don't have FSD, didn't pay for it. I said, you know you can pay for the monthly subscription, get the FSD request button, bla bla bla...
He had no clue about the beta request, never heard of the safety score, nothing...

Then I thought I'd call up a friend I know that bought a M3 2 years ago, and asked him if he bought FSD, he said yes... I ask him: so did you get in the Beta? He said, what's that! I was like wow, you don't know? He asked, know what?
I couldn't believe it, I told him to go to his autopilot tab and he should see the beta request button... he found it and had no clue that it was even there, and hadn't heard of the safety score.

So long story short, many are clueless any of this is even happening; so out of 100k cars I don't know how many of these will be running to the SC for new cameras.
Concur. Tesla should have the numbers, so hopefully they’ll do a cost benefit analysis and just let us have the upgrades sooner than later.

I bought a used 2017 this year with enhanced autopilot AP2 and MCU1. I was going to spend the 5k on FSD and then 1.5k on the MCU upgrade but have now reconsidered after reading this thread ... there is no point. Hoping to get some resolution here and a clear path to FSD before spending money on anything. At this point if I am upgrading cameras, computer and mcu I may just wait till next year to see if AP4 or MCU3 comes out. Probably a long shot but doesn't make sense to do anything this year based on the state of things.

Reactions: Krash
Looks like I am included in with this group of disappointed FSD Beta tester wannabees.......I also need those cameras and after a few short back n forths with my service center, he doesnt know either when this will get done. I was looking at when I paid for the MCU2 upgrade, and it wasnt too long after I got the Sep 25th,2020 Infotainment Upgrade parts available email. I imagine until we get that email similar with the camera upgrades are ready alert, we are all in for a long wait.........I have had that 99 score for quite a while now, was very discouraged, but then realized maybe its for the best since FSD Beta really isnt all that "ready" for public consumption. My hope is they will have the parts and upgrade ready BEFORE this goes to fleet......but as with anything Tesla related, its kind of slow........process. Like the late Tom Petty said, "waiting is the hardest part................" Damn, just realized its been over a year since I did the MCU upgrade thinking at the bare minimum that would be needed for any chance of FSD working.......

I wonder if Tesla is using metrics of how many AP2 camera vehicles are opted in to Safety Score and/or how many would have been enrolled based on the score. Otherwise they should already know how many vehicles have purchased FSD (and their hardware upgrade status).

Mike, my SA said and I quote, "Hello James, the parts for this retrofit are not yet available. Thanks."
What’s crazy is we don’t even know for sure if it’s just the cameras or some of the supporting parts, too. Are you still doing the safety score? Pretty much all of us disenrolled once we found out our cars don’t even qualify (I had a 100 since the beginning). You can hop back in once your car has the parts (or at least a timeline).

What’s crazy is we don’t even know for sure if it’s just the cameras or some of the supporting parts, too. Are you still doing the safety score? Pretty much all of us disenrolled once we found out our cars don’t even qualify (I had a 100 since the beginning). You can hop back in once your car has the parts (or at least a timeline).
I havent disenrolled, my kid likes to check it everyday when I pick her up, so for giggles, I'll hang on to it just to see what happens in he long run......lol

Reactions: MikeScarne
We have not unenrolled yet. We’re at 100. It’s no longer the annoyance it was at first, although I did get dinged for aggressive turning today on a curvy street in our neighborhood.

Reactions: MikeScarne
“Pretty much all of us disenrolled.” Really? Is there a spreadsheet or other basis for that statement? As for easily hopping back in, I could imagine Tesla shutting the Beta entrance button some day.

Last edited: