Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the reports of cars with old RCCC cameras getting FSD Beta 10.8.1 & then having it taken away it seems Tesla screwed this up. Perhaps this is why it appears no one who actually recently got the RCCB cameras isn’t getting FSD beta 10.8.1. It appears they botched the roll out of FSD Beta 10.8.1 to RCCB/RCCC cars.

With the reports of cars with old RCCC cameras getting FSD Beta 10.8.1 & then having it taken away it seems Tesla screwed this up. Perhaps this is why it appears no one who actually recently got the RCCB cameras isn’t getting FSD beta 10.8.1. It appears they botched the roll out of FSD Beta 10.8.1 to RCCB/RCCC cars.
I have received both the 10.8 and 10.8.1 FSD Betas on my 12/2016 MX90D with Nov 2021 camera upgrades. BTW they work the same IMO, i.e. they both have the same problems.

It could be. We got 2021.44.30.7 today… so it’s not looking good for us getting FSD Beta 10.8.1. I’m so anxious to get it though since V11 took away the ability to wipe out a bad drive with a reboot. It’s going to be hard to keep up the high score without that option.
Just fyi, you can't erase a whole drive anymore, but you can reset a portion of it by doing a two button reset while driving. My morning commute is 12 miles, and just to test it out I did a two button reset while in motion somewhere around mile 11. The SS in the app ended up only recording a 7 mile drive when I finally parked.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I have received both the 10.8 and 10.8.1 FSD Betas on my 12/2016 MX90D with Nov 2021 camera upgrades. BTW they work the same IMO, i.e. they both have the same problems.
That’s exactly the point. You got 10.8 so you get 10.8.1. But people who didn’t have their RCCB cameras in time to get 10.8 aren’t getting in with 10.8.1 because Tesla botched it & sent 10.8.1 to cars with RCCC cameras.
Just fyi, you can't erase a whole drive anymore, but you can reset a portion of it by doing a two button reset while driving. My morning commute is 12 miles, and just to test it out I did a two button reset while in motion somewhere around mile 11. The SS in the app ended up only recording a 7 mile drive when I finally parked.
We’ve found that the Safety Score shows 2 drives, one before the reboot & one after the reboot, the only activity that is perhaps excluded is during the reboot period.

Apologies if this has been discussed and answered several times, but I couldn't find the answer. Have we determined it's a prereq to have a safety score IOT receive the camera upgrade invite? I grew tired of driving with a safety score and have disenrolled. I just got off the phone with a Tesla rep (claims his area of responsibility is all of Florida) for an unrelated issue, but I asked about the safety score. He claims they send out camera upgrade invites in batches, and it's simply VIN based (I assume confirming FSD purchase) and not connected to a safety score. Do we have truth data to confirm or deny this?

From Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

When will the camera replacement be available for me?

Starting in November 2021, we will invite customers to schedule service appointments for camera replacements. Invited customers will receive a message in their Tesla app and will see an option to request camera replacements while scheduling a service appointment in Tesla app.

We are working through supply constraints, and the invitations will be staggered as supply allows. Invitations will be sent first to vehicles with the highest safety scores containing Intel Atom® infotainment processors and then to those containing NVIDIA® Tegra® processors.

But if you look at the sample xlsx in post #1, the SS score thing is not a factor. Apparently it's random. I've been enrolled with a 99%+ since the snnouncement and opted in - no invitation.

From Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

But if you look at the sample xlsx in post #1, the SS score thing is not a factor. Apparently it's random. I've been enrolled with a 99%+ since the snnouncement and opted in - no invitation.
I did look at the xlsx, and unless I'm reading incorrectly, I only found a single entry with no safety score and a camera invitation. Even that person said they were "opting back in" once the cameras are installed, which make it sound like they were previously carrying a safety score. Good on you for continuing to drive with the safety score. After several iterations where I would forget to reset after someone cut me off, etc and then disenrolling and re-enrolling, my appetite to continue is diminished.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Super (kind of) excited, so my appointment for Monday is confirmed, and I specifically asked them if all parts are in. They replied yup we got all the cameras, come on by on Monday.
I asked if they could please add the invoice showing the part # and all I got is crickets, once again. I asked a couple of times for the part # over the past month but they have been ignoring that request. Hopefully they have the parts figured out, but I am not very confident...

Also got a message they are extremely busy, and most likely will not have any loaners.
I'm an hour away from the SC, so I told them I could just wait for a couple hours (I'd rather not ride an uber for an hour to just turn around and be in another uber for an another hour... I could be more productive and work there in those couple of hours)

The reply was that the camera retrofit will take about 4 hours and they probably wouldn't get to it right away. (so why the specific appointment time?... anyway...)

How in the world would it take them 4 hours!
I watched a few videos of what's involved, and there's no way it would take that long, unless completely incompetent... it's not that complicated.

Anyway, I'm actually kind of worried about my safety score. I have been watching it like a hawk and stressing over it since day one, and it would make me really sad to have someone take my car on a joy ride and screw it up! I deserve to take my car on a joy ride after almost 4 months of safety score nonsense!

I have been traveling a lot lately (for work) and have hardly any miles for the past 2+ weeks.
If they drive my car and get me a bad score I would be screwed for the next 30 days until it drops off :(

I am wondering if opting out is an option when I drop my my car off.

Last edited:
I did look at the xlsx, and unless I'm reading incorrectly, I only found a single entry with no safety score and a camera invitation. Even that person said they were "opting back in" once the cameras are installed, which make it sound like they were previously carrying a safety score. Good on you for continuing to drive with the safety score. After several iterations where I would forget to reset after someone cut me off, etc and then disenrolling and re-enrolling, my appetite to continue is diminished.
I think there might be some geographic constraints too. I live by 2 Service Centers, and after trying to get an appt to get the cameras replaced at both locations (they both denied me of course), they said that they had not yet performed a single camera retrofit as of 2 weeks ago. I’m in So Cal, Orange County specifically. I am not aware of any new camera invites since the Dec batch, so if what my 2 SCs say is true, then it sounds like no invites were sent out in my area, which is crazy.

• Informative
Reactions: cruiserlarry
I think there might be some geographic constraints too. I live by 2 Service Centers, and after trying to get an appt to get the cameras replaced at both locations (they both denied me of course), they said that they had not yet performed a single camera retrofit as of 2 weeks ago. I’m in So Cal, Orange County specifically. I am not aware of any new camera invites since the Dec batch, so if what my 2 SCs say is true, then it sounds like no invites were sent out in my area, which is crazy.

I can corroborate that the Irvine and also the Temecula SC serving a massive area of SoCal have not performed any retrofits from what they have told me.

With this being the most Tesla dense area of the country, I fear the worst for those waiting. It could be a very very long time. Even those with invites are having a tough time getting the appointment and upgrade completed.

The reply was that the camera retrofit will take about 4 hours and they probably wouldn't get to it right away. (so why the specific appointment time?... anyway...)

My car was in for 6 days. Yes, 6 days for the camera upgrade. And no loaner. And I live an hour away. Tesla Lyndhurst (Cleveland). I dont plan on going back there.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it's regional as well. I'm just trying to confirm if I'm self eliminating by not playing the safety score game. For the Florida rep, he said he noticed an invite to someone in central Florida. As in, he could only come up with a single instance of an invite in the whole state of Florida, which isn't too comforting. My hope is the backlog of part shortages will "eventually" be resolved. Timeline? Who knows...

Super (kind of) excited, so my appointment for Monday is confirmed, and I specifically asked them if all parts are in. They replied yup we got all the cameras, come on by on Monday.
I asked if they could please add the invoice showing the part # and all I got is crickets, once again. I asked a couple of times for the part # over the past month but they have been ignoring that request. Hopefully they have the parts figured out, but I am not very confident...

Also got a message they are extremely busy, and most likely will not have any loaners.
I'm an hour away from the SC, so I told them I could just wait for a couple hours (I'd rather not ride an uber for an hour to just turn around and be in another uber for an another hour... I could be more productive and work there in those couple of hours)

I watched a few videos of what's involved, and there's no way it would take that long, unless completely incompetent... it's not that complicated.

Anyway, I'm actually kind of worried about my safety score. I have been watching it like a hawk and stressing over it since day one, and it would make me really sad to have someone take my car on a joy ride and screw it up! I deserve to take my car on a joy ride after almost 4 months of safety score nonsense!

I have been traveling a lot lately (for work) and have hardly any miles for the past 2+ weeks.
If they drive my car and get me a bad score I would be screwed for the next 30 days until it drops off :(

I am wondering if opting out is an option when I drop my my car off.
Our car took them about 4.5 hours from drop off to being ready for pickup. I wonder if there are maybe some software processes that need to be done after the cameras are installed that contribute to the time requirement. They started work on our car immediately after it was dropped off. The drive they took to calibrate the cameras was logged by TeslaFi but was not logged by the Tesla app for the Safety Score.

Apologies if this has been discussed and answered several times, but I couldn't find the answer. Have we determined it's a prereq to have a safety score IOT receive the camera upgrade invite? I grew tired of driving with a safety score and have disenrolled. I just got off the phone with a Tesla rep (claims his area of responsibility is all of Florida) for an unrelated issue, but I asked about the safety score. He claims they send out camera upgrade invites in batches, and it's simply VIN based (I assume confirming FSD purchase) and not connected to a safety score. Do we have truth data to confirm or deny this?
I still don't think anyone has definitely confirmed this (my SC also said you don't need to opt in for camera invite but they don't know anything half the time), hence the reason I opted back in just in case (which is now my 3rd cycle of jumping back in and out)

Reactions: Cheburashka
Our car took them about 4.5 hours from drop off to being ready for pickup. I wonder if there are maybe some software processes that need to be done after the cameras are installed that contribute to the time requirement. They started work on our car immediately after it was dropped off. The drive they took to calibrate the cameras was logged by TeslaFi but was not logged by the Tesla app for the Safety Score.

The software process is a reinstall of the firmware, so about 30-40 min just for that.

The swap of the hardware would probably take about an hour if you know what you’re doing or maybe 2 hours if it’s your first time and going slow.

Then calibrate. So 4 hours seems about right to me but I think personally I could get it done in about 45 minutes to an hour total at this point.