Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah exactly. Like while it would be dope to have a brand new car with the latest battery tech and processors and such, the free lifetime charging is such a massive value in itself worth as much as a whole car over it's lifetime.
A brand new Model S doesn’t even offer a sunroof, 72 amp charger, a built in screen or a steering wheel. Each of these is a deal breaker. So I’ll just keep my S with a big battery and free Supercharging.

I swear, Tesla has slowly taken away so many things over the years. Free supercharging, internet, Sunroof, color choices, and even the damn mobile charger.
Well yea...I dislike the Tesla of today but if I can get away with record profits while cutting features, why not? People are the problem with Tesla cutting stuff out of the car because people keep buying them. The free supercharging days were also the days Tesla was closest to bankruptcy, which was probably the best time to buy one.

Yeah exactly. Remember back in 2012-2016 the S and (after 2016)X were just as expensive cars. $80-100k+
Tesla was very low on money and needed a big incentive for people to invest and get their production off the ground.
Free supercharging was a really really big incentive especially when there were essentially no other public charging networks yet.

Now, it's just not needed. They're selling more than they can make and that's not gonna change anytime soon - free supercharging would only make demand greater. They also have models that cost less than half as much as the S and X so the free charging incentive just isn't needed from a business perspective.

Free charging is an awful incentive in 2022. It teaches all the wrong behaviors for an EV.
Superchargers are resource intensive, inefficient, expensive, wear out your battery, and waste your time. They should only be used when there is no other option. In order to enforce that, charging at an SC should be more expensive than other options, and making it free encourages completely wrong behavior.

This even occurs with free L2 chargers. As far back as 2015 people had this problem and even EV promoters suggest not having free L2:

The right answer is just to make the car $1000 less, not to have the buyers pre-pay for supercharging in the purchase (because nothing is actually free).

Well yea...I dislike the Tesla of today but if I can get away with record profits while cutting features, why not? People are the problem with Tesla cutting stuff out of the car because people keep buying them. The free supercharging days were also the days Tesla was closest to bankruptcy, which was probably the best time to buy one.
Agree there. They doin it because they can. People still love the cars without it.

Actually with my '17 MS I have FSDb, free super-charging as long as I own it, premium cellular service for life, and no interior camera. Not sure if this quite qualifies as a "unicorn car" just yet but I actually prefer this configuration over what is rolling off the floor today.

Of course, it's not really "free" - I paid for all of that in spades, back when we "saved Tesla" and since Elon has pretty much abandoned us. But still, I'm thinking 1) I'll keep this untl the wheels fall off, and 2) if I do need to sell, someone would pay a premium for such a config. Maybe not, but I'd like to think so. I'm also glad to have the 100 kWh battery to help cover degradation. :D

Actually with my '17 MS I have FSDb, free super-charging as long as I own it, premium cellular service for life, and no interior camera. Not sure if this quite qualifies as a "unicorn car" just yet but I actually prefer this configuration over what is rolling off the floor today.

Of course, it's not really "free" - I paid for all of that in spades, back when we "saved Tesla" and since Elon has pretty much abandoned us. But still, I'm thinking 1) I'll keep this untl the wheels fall off, and 2) if I do need to sell, someone would pay a premium for such a config. Maybe not, but I'd like to think so. I'm also glad to have the 100 kWh battery to help cover degradation. :D
So am I. To be honest, I rarely Supercharge but this evening I had a session. Feels good to see all othe cars pulling in knowing they have to pay $10’s of dollars and I can just drive off for nothing.
I have MCU2 and am waiting for the camera upgrade. I had an appointment this Sunday but they postponed it for the 28th.

if the Robotaxi thing goes through I might use my car as a Robotaxi and use the free supercharging as a mean to keep costs down.

So, here we are 17 days later after the first botched service appt for camera upgrade. Again, told parts are in, show up for appt. I leave the service center and look at invoice when i get home. I noticed that there is a missing camera from the parts order.............I message them and ask why are we missing the left B pillar camera? The level of incompetence here is staggering. I find it incredibly hard to believe that Tesla would do something like this....as always, the left hand and right hand clearly are not working together. It almost seems deliberate at this point? Thoughts?
View recent photos.jpeg
View recent photos.jpeg
IMG_5582.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Doom