Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi . got the invite for the camera upgrade, i first scheduled it for an open period this Wednesday at the Sterling VA SC ( those guys are great!) , they very quickly ( like in 5 minutes late in the evening!) said that they had to re-schedule it slightly later so the techs had time to get the parts and familiarize themselves with the fix ( to probably stay within the fix time frame, they get dinged if they take too long).. I'm scheduled for the 20th very early in the morning so lets hope to see if stays that date. I already have MCU2, and HDW 3 upgraded on the April build 2017 S 90D . im running a 98 safety score ( man it is hard to keep it there with the traffic in Northern VA!) . I'll see if I can talk them into pushing 10.4 to me while it is in. i'll let you know what happens. Finger's crossed!

The Service Center just wrote me saying that the order for cars is not based on having MCU2 or based on your safety score, but rather based on when you purchased FSD. Have all the ppl who have been invited so far been ones who purchased FSD a long time ago, perhaps when their car was new?

The Service Center just wrote me saying that the order for cars is not based on having MCU2 or based on your safety score, but rather based on when you purchased FSD. Have all the ppl who have been invited so far been ones who purchased FSD a long time ago, perhaps when their car was new?

Gotta be honest here I would trust the Tesla website text over what the Service Center says. I’ve been lied to pretty much every time I talk to a Service Center haha.

I purchased FSD 12/2017 and nothing here.

We purchased FSD in March 2017 on our S100D before taking delivery. We haven't received the invite for the camera upgrade yet.

It makes me wonder if Tesla will replace or add a camera/lidar system sometime in the future to be able to certify FSD as an L4 system at some point once certification even becomes possible. Sure, it makes no sense financially and I understand FSD will very likely remain L2 even after it's full rollout but strategically it could be an asset.

Have to say I am out. I have no time to opt back in to qualify to get some free cameras to help the beta. When it comes it comes. Some of the reads on this thread made me think to be a little more patient. Really would like it a little more smooth. On the 3 its tight, and track like. Wish I had a harness. I can't imagine wanting to do that to my 2017 S.

The games irk me even if it is supply for the cameras. I am not a 6 year old. I got the hundred did it Dad I swear.

Have to say I am out. I have no time to opt back in to qualify to get some free cameras to help the beta. When it comes it comes. Some of the reads on this thread made me think to be a little more patient. Really would like it a little more smooth. On the 3 its tight, and track like. Wish I had a harness. I can't imagine wanting to do that to my 2017 S.

The games irk me even if it is supply for the cameras. I am not a 6 year old. I got the hundred did it Dad I swear.
At least you have another car with FSD Beta. We have only 1 car, our Model S, so it's our only hope to get FSD Beta. And I've been dreaming about it since the YouTube videos started appearing...

At least you have another car with FSD Beta. We have only 1 car, our Model S, so it's our only hope to get FSD Beta. And I've been dreaming about it since the YouTube videos started appearing...
I would say many of the videos are less than correct because they use their feet to motor through intersections and tough spots. I for one have driven the exact same roads that Dirty Tesla has driven down. I get far from the same results without doing such behavior. Which I find not really correct. But that's just me.

Don't get me wrong. I feel for everybody in this, but patience I have learned. I also average 5 to 6,000 mi a month on the S. I don't have time to play games.

Reactions: fbitz777
So thanks to this thread, I called my service center, we looked at the screen to my older model x and he verified that other owners have called in, and that certain vehicles do need an upgrade for fsd cameras. Meanwhile he advised that my car does not, and that I have had everything upgraded last year for infotainment- mcu etc.

He reassured me that I will get beta with my 100 score (several hundred miles), however, I know my cameras were not updated in the work orders/ and on screen.

Leaving me confused, I called another service center, and was advised that everything is up to date on my car, and ignore the model/year camera speculation.

Do late 2016/early 17 cars indefinitely need cameras replaced? Or is this a MCU-infotainment issue?

I will indefinitely have them replaced if needed, but to hold this 100 score (this week) has been a little nerve wrecking

My cameras appointment has just been confirmed for Friday and the invoice summary is below. My skeptical side says this will never happen that fast and that in fact they will postpone the appointment. Regardless, it looks like real progress.

If I am reading the Parts Catalog correctly, the triple camera replacement part number listed for my car is
INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/31120520-00-B
which is not the part number listed on my invoice below. There is a recent post in this thread that indicates the camera is from HW2.5 cars so perhaps this is why. But I will admit to being a parts catalog novice and suspect the cameras are the same with old/new parts numbers.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
LAMP ASY, SIDE 1.00 REPEATER CAMERA, RH(1642011-00-A)
LAMP ASY, SIDE 1.00 REPEATER CAMERA, LH(1642010-00-A)
APPLIQUE,MS,B 1.00 PLR,RH ASSY(1092307-
00-G)
APPLIQUE,MS,B 1.00 PLR,LH ASSY(1092306-
00-G)
INLINE TRIPLE 1.00 CAMERA(1089531-00-
C)

Last edited:
My cameras appointment has just been confirmed for Friday and the invoice summary is below. My skeptical side says this will never happen that fast and that in fact they will postpone the appointment. Regardless, it looks like real progress.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
00-G)
00-G)
C)
Looks like all cameras except for backup. This is great! Now we can have better backup views.

Your SC is lying :!, It is based on MCU2 clearly prioritized over customers with MCU1.

Reactions: fbitz777

If I am reading the Parts Catalog correctly, the triple camera replacement part number listed for my car is
INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/31120520-00-B
which is not the part number listed on my invoice below. There is a recent post in this thread that indicates the camera is from HW2.5 cars so perhaps this is why. But I will admit to being a parts catalog novice and suspect the cameras are the same with old/new parts numbers.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
00-G)
00-G)
C)
You are completely correct regarding the triple cam part number. I just checked the triple camera that I took off my February 2017 Model S when I did the full camera swap, and it's the one listed on your invoice (1089531-00-C). So make sure Tesla knows that you need 1120520-00-B, otherwise they will install the exact same camera they are taking out.

The other part numbers are exactly the ones I installed on my Model S, (including the triple cam 1120520-00-B), and they are working perfectly on my car! :)

December 2016 Model X owner in South Florida, already have HW3 computer installed, and upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2. Got my invite to upgrade on Monday, service center appointment scheduled for 11/18.

My Safety Score was 97 until I opted out last week- I didn't see any point to driving slower than a grandma being that I didn't think I was going to get a camera upgrade anytime soon. I'm still opted out.

I'm surprised that they won't be installing an internal-facing camera. Unless I missed that detail somewhere.

December 2016 Model X owner in South Florida, already have HW3 computer installed, and upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2. Got my invite to upgrade on Monday, service center appointment scheduled for 11/18.

My Safety Score was 97 until I opted out last week- I didn't see any point to driving slower than a grandma being that I didn't think I was going to get a camera upgrade anytime soon. I'm still opted out.

I'm surprised that they won't be installing an internal-facing camera. Unless I missed that detail somewhere.

Did you opt back in or were you invited to get the upgrade while still being opted out?

This is quite important information as it seems if that’s the case they really aren’t prioritizing by safety score and it’s likely more about location and supply while using the safety score as a slow upgrade rollout excuse.