Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed 44.25.2 and I also have a headlight stuck on like this.

Reboot didn’t work and now trying a full power down to see if I can get it to turn off for the night..

If you find a solution please advise!

Edit: We may just need to be patient, see here: Left headlight always on after update
@minmac

It seems Shawn's correspondence has taken us Early Adopters finally out of Purgatory, so a big thank you Shawn.

I also think we would be remiss to not mention many other Posters in this Thread, for their efforts:
@Lowchrg for starting this thread and bringing us all together
@appleguru for your tech savvy and ability to sift through BS
@c0smicdirt and @scarelli for your dialogs with Karpathy

My apologies if I missed mentioning other dedicated Posters, but thanks to all of your efforts.
@minmac

It seems Shawn's correspondence has taken us Early Adopters finally out of Purgatory, so a big thank you Shawn.

I also think we would be remiss to not mention many other Posters in this Thread, for their efforts:
@Lowchrg for starting this thread and bringing us all together
@appleguru for your tech savvy and ability to sift through BS
@c0smicdirt and @scarelli for your dialogs with Karpathy

My apologies if I missed mentioning other dedicated Posters, but thanks to all of your efforts.
You’re absolutely right. Many thanks to all the users that contributed to the conversations that got us to this point. Very thankful that this is dream come true after 4 years.

Reactions: Lowchrg
All in all I don’t mind 44.25 as much as I thought I would.

One thing that is actually bugging me a lot is how the 3D model of the car changed on the “Software” tab but on the IC it still remains the old picture of the car. The IC model updating would have brought some life into the IC and look similar to a refresh IC.

This actually happened to me a couple updates ago with the left headlight. Kept hard resetting a few times. Still wouldn't go off. Said f it, plugged the car in and made an SC appt. Woke up next am and it was off and never happened again.
This also happened to me after installing a 2020 update. A reboot, power-down and a drive didn’t help. It finally turned off after the car went to sleep.

Seems Shawn’s correspondences with Karpathy got him to the front of the line. If his car is reporting no issues then they will probably go wide release. We just have to be a little more patient.
It would be very strange to only let one person have the firmware to test. Yet starting about mid-day yesterday TeslaFi only shows one car from 2016 and that is probably the same one previously discussed having FSD beta, which is a 2016 vin car that apparently received HW2.5 due to a lengthy delivery delay in mid to late 2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors
Did Shawn ever confirm that 2021.44.25.6 was successfully installed after downloading? One of our cars without FSD downloaded that version but it failed to install. The next day, it received 2021.44.25.2.
Yes. His Twitter is “Shawn Car” where he has posted an after install video and includes many congratulatory tweets. What is noticeably absent is even one tweet (or post in this thread) from anyone else in our “club” who reports they they too received 10.8.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Looks like there’s a recall now on the trunk latch for 2014-2021 model S. Our luck this will keep the SC busy and mean even longer for cameras…or maybe we can get both at same time 🙏

Attachments

• E6CF606C-6D88-4D0A-84F0-399108FC76ED.jpeg
    E6CF606C-6D88-4D0A-84F0-399108FC76ED.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: c0smicdirt
Yes. His Twitter is “Shawn Car” where he has posted an after install video and includes many congratulatory tweets. What is noticeably absent is even one tweet (or post in this thread) from anyone else in our “club” who reports they they too received 10.8.

The thought at the moment is Shawn’s car is being used as a “internal” beta tester due to his communications with Karpathy and will get pushed wider if there’s no problems.

Reactions: scarelli
Honestly I wonder if it wasn’t just my persistent annoyance to service that got me the invite. I was putting in service requests every day and they would manually cancel them every morning. They eventually called to tell me to stop, trying to make me feel guilty about taking a service appointment from someone that may really need it. I know what I was doing is going to be controversial in this thread, but it just isn’t right that people who paid for FSD 5+ years ago are taking a back seat to brand new owners who don’t know the difference between production AP and FSD Beta. And there’s literally no other way to get Tesla’s attention on it. I know I’m preaching to the choir in here. Just so frustrating, especially knowing that our FSD experience is going to be pretty inferior to newer cars (inevitable HW4 computer, permanent magnet motors, etc).
Yep.. canceled my appt yet again..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211230-092018_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20211230-092018_Tesla.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 60
The thought at the moment is Shawn’s car is being used as a “internal” beta tester due to his communications with Karpathy and will get pushed wider if there’s no problems.
If that’s the case.. I’m happy to report I have experienced no issues thus far… and a sizable upload in the last hour…

Attachments

• 94696950-0197-46B7-920B-2232C8674821.jpeg
    94696950-0197-46B7-920B-2232C8674821.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 45
I got camera upgrade invite on Dec 9, scheduled service appointment for Dec 15 - got cancelled for no parts; rescheduled for today, Dec 30, - messaged service the list of part numbers numerous times, messaged them yesterday to get confirmation if parts were in - no response; I get to the service center today and told that triple cam is not in, promised to get notified when it arrives ///sigh

If that’s the case.. I’m happy to report I have experienced no issues thus far… and a sizable upload in the last hour…

The real questions now:

1. Is FSD Beta worth it after all this time? I guess this will be better answered when the shiny and new feeling wears off but curious on first impressions.

And

2. For you personally, has basic autopilot regressed significantly due to the vision change?

The real questions now:

1. Is FSD Beta worth it after all this time? I guess this will be better answered when the shiny and new feeling wears off but curious on first impressions.

And

2. For you personally, has basic autopilot regressed significantly due to the vision change?
Lots of posts on this topic here.

TL;DR Worth is very subjective. AP has some regression because it is VO.

Reactions: outdoors
Great questions @Lowchrg - while the shiny new toy looks intriguing, it appears we may lose the ability to "drone" down the highway with at least a predictable version of AP - we know where it is likely to work and where it's likely to fail. Those that have beta FSD stress the need to constant and very strong alertness - not something I'm sure I'd want to do on a 4-hour drive, especially with random phantom braking. So maybe it's either beta FSD or manual driving for longer trips with the current state of software? Tough choice honestly.

BTW, the reset trick appears to have been closed on v.11 - I got slammed with 25.6 FCW even after resetting :(

Just opted out as I have to wait for triple cam part to arrive anyway and my score took a big hit - I'm planning to re-join on my way to the service once get notified that all parts are in