Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not saying you shouldn't have done this, but man. Poor service staff that have to 180 on a whim every time Elon tweets stuff like this. I at least hope they have a service plan internally already complete.

I'm just hoping for some closure in the near-term. Yes, it will probably "buff" in the end with a camera upgrade campaign (just like MCU2 was an offered upgrade). But really what that means is I can just stop caring about my score, and taking ultra slow low-G turns, and staying 8 car lengths back, and no longer fearing yellow lights.

Ultimately, I hope to win on a Friday with service telling me it's not possible, and that I "win" back my car and can drive like a sane human once again.

What can we learn from the HW3.0 upgrade that we might apply to a camera upgrade? How long from announce to available? How uniform across service centers? Etc?

Assuming they're just swapping the 2.5+ cameras in, we can't really learn anything.

Unlike HW3, they already buy tons of those for all new vehicles made in the last several years....and the # of cars needing upgrading here will be far smaller as well since there's no 3s involved.

Tesla being terrible at internal service communications and logistics will probably still annoy plenty of folks, but these cameras should not be hard to come by or anything.

And I'm SURE we'll see all the folks who kept denying Tesla has long promised, and has continually kept the promise, of upgrading HW to FSD buyers whenever actually necessary continues to be true admit they were mistaken, right? :)

BTW, I didn't see it mentioned but I'd estimate a roughly 99.8% chance the camera upgrade includes a rear view mirror upgrade to ADD the interior camera for driver monitoring.

I'm just hoping for some closure in the near-term. Yes, it will probably "buff" in the end with a camera upgrade campaign (just like MCU2 was an offered upgrade). But really what that means is I can just stop caring about my score, and taking ultra slow low-G turns, and staying 8 car lengths back, and no longer fearing yellow lights.

Ultimately, I hope to win on a Friday with service telling me it's not possible, and that I "win" back my car and can drive like a sane human once again.
This morning, after getting off work, I was running late to get home and help get the kids to the bus stop. I knew I'd have to drive aggressively to get home on time. I drove "normally" for the first time since whenever Safety Scores came out and just reset MCU when I was a couple miles from home (which worked). It was freeing to drive normally and not worry every time somebody changes into my lane. Sounds like this weekend we will be set free.

BTW, I didn't see it mentioned but I'd estimate a roughly 99.8% chance the camera upgrade includes a rear view mirror upgrade to ADD the interior camera for driver monitoring.

I wouldn’t be so sure of this. 2017.5-2021 S and X do not have driver monitoring cameras but do have beta access. I would personally assume Tesla would go the easiest way out and upgrade the exterior cameras to match AP2.5 cars and call it a day so they’re not maintaining another branch of firmware with new features for older cars.

I just really, really hope the cameras interface over the same electrical/logical protocol as the 2.5 cameras, as that's the only way it could be feasible. If they're not electrically/protocol compatible (e.g. how the Model 3 touchscreen uses some exotic FP-Link III serialized interface to get the LVDS signal, touch, and power over a single small cable), then oh god, oh my god. The tangled mess... and that'd be why they never did it.

If it is compatible, then wtf are they waiting for - why'd they even install the HW3 computer on top of unusable RCCC cameras? That'd explain why there's no dashcam support, at least... the image would look (to our eyes) like crap. But probably a fairly different-enough data input to trip up the FSD nets...

If it is compatible, then wtf are they waiting for - why'd they even install the HW3 computer on top of unusable RCCC cameras?

The same reason they installed 2.0 cameras in the first place.

Or HW2.

or HW2.5.

They thought it was good enough for FSD.

Since nobody has ever actually made a working FSD system they had (and still have) no idea how much HW is actually enough.... they won't until they actually have it fully working.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I’m wondering if this is the partial color blind thing (red vs yellow lights)? If so, then pillars and repeaters are fine as is. Only tri camera needs swapping. Or is this a more fundamental hardware driver incompatibility thing? Or a NN training simplification thing? These later two need more than the tri camera.

I wouldn’t be so sure of this. 2017.5-2021 S and X do not have driver monitoring cameras but do have beta access. I would personally assume Tesla would go the easiest way out and upgrade the exterior cameras to match AP2.5 cars and call it a day so they’re not maintaining another branch of firmware with new features for older cars.
Hope you're right.

I’m wondering if this is the partial color blind thing (red vs yellow lights)? If so, then pillars and repeaters are fine as is. Only tri camera needs swapping. Or is this a more fundamental hardware driver incompatibility thing? Or a NN training simplification thing? These later two need more than the tri camera.
I expect that they will do the least amount of work required to make the cars compatible.

That being said, if they tell me that only the tri-camera is required, I’m certainly going to ask if they can throw in the pillars and repeaters on my dime, and I hope they would oblige me.

I already had an SC appt for a squeak in my HVAC fan, so I immediately updated my appointment to include Elon’s tweet. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Does anyone remember how long it took from the time Elon tweeted we could upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 to the time the Service Centers were actually ready to perform it??

Get ready for a looong wait.
But don’t they already have tons of these cameras already produced and ready to go? We are talking about parts that have been in the supply chain since the 2nd half of 2017…

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold and Shateam
Does anyone remember how long it took from the time Elon tweeted we could upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 to the time the Service Centers were actually ready to perform it??

Get ready for a looong wait.
A long time. My fear now is some idiot is going to kill someone while sitting in the back seat making a Youtube video and the gov is going to pull the plug. No soup for you.

But don’t they already have tons of these cameras already produced and ready to go? We are talking about parts that have been in the supply chain since the 2nd half of 2017…
Side repeaters in our chrome color might not be stockpiled. Triple cam took 2 weeks to get and that was almost a year ago. Logistics will be a problem that’s for sure. They knew this was a problem for some time. Sure wish they would be pro-active vs reactive.