Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
existing discussion here:

• Helpful
Reactions: ABC2D
No, this particular user says he is astonished that they still OFFER the option to upgrade on his 2.0 car.
But WITH that upgrade option you get the hardware updates as well!

Looks like a solid deal unless you are just biotching just to biotch on the forums.

Also, astonished that Tesla offers options... OPTIONS - to the end user! WTF!

Nah, if it wasn't for the OP and people in this thread we'd still be granny driving our cars so we can get in on the beta.

There has been a public beta FSD for a year now with influencers. They probably knew the old cameras were not going to work a long time ago.

So look, the tweet is better than silence, but there's still reason to be upset. I'm not sure why I should be ecstatic about getting what I paid for.

I don't think it'd be nearly as difficult as you suggest-remember the mirror hangs from the same assembly as 3 of the cameras they're already going to swap out and which already have a data connection available to the assembly.

Not sure why they'd need to touch most of the items you list at all.

As to why, because regulators will require such a driver monitoring system for ADAS- the EU already has those regs on the books (which is part of why Tesla began repurposing the never-meant-to-do-this-job cameras in the 3/Y in the first place).
The HW3 driving computer in the Model S/X has discrete connections for each camera. It does not appear that the camera signals are multiplexed in any way over the same conductors. A new, discrete conductor pair would be required between the cluster, and the driving computer. A new housing would also need to be fabricated just for this specific scenario, as all of the other non-refresh S/X housings are identical and have no interior camera mount. It is currently possible to just swap the camera module itself within the existing housing without doing any other work. See below, the discrete coaxial connector used in this system. I don't think that anyone has discovered an spare pair that's been there since 2016 that would allow an interior camera to be plug and play in these cars.

1634915972962.png

Additionally, why would EU vehicle regulations for new vehicles affect used/existing vehicles in the US?

...What do you guys think on the subject?

I am glad that Tesla is now communicating more clearly on how to get the firmware.

First, I didn't know how many miles I should drive to be qualified. Fortunately, Tesla clarified it's at least 100 miles.

Also, I've been driving like a student driver with my 2017 Model X for the past 27 days but now I can relax now because Tesla has clarified I won't ever get the firmware due to my car date of production unless someone would switch my cameras out.

I am too getting pushback from my service center. They want documentation that this approved. Will fight for at least a waiting list. Obviously Elon just threw this out before they told any of the service centers. I did email a friend in my home service center that has got things done in the past for me and will share details of what he finds out.

Last edited:
The HW3 driving computer in the Model S/X has discrete connections for each camera. It does not appear that the camera signals are multiplexed in any way over the same conductors. A new, discrete conductor pair would be required between the cluster, and the driving computer. A new housing would also need to be fabricated just for this specific scenario, as all of the other non-refresh S/X housings are identical and have no interior camera mount. It is currently possible to just swap the camera module itself within the existing housing without doing any other work. See below, the discrete coaxial connector used in this system. I don't think that anyone has discovered an spare pair that's been there since 2016 that would allow an interior camera to be plug and play in these cars.

Since it doesn't use the interior camera for actual driving perception it doesn't seem like it'd be an obstacle to send an additional signal over the existing wires and let the computer filter the data.

I could be way off, but I'm thinking in terms of how trivially 2 devices can transmit over the same an ethernet cable from a hub to a switch even if the other end goes into a single port on a switch then the switch handles getting each signal to the right place.

tagging @verygreen as he'd likely have far more insight on this.

Additionally, why would EU vehicle regulations for new vehicles affect used/existing vehicles in the US?

It's likely US regs will be coming too (esp with recent NHTSA announcements)- but this same AP camera swap will be need on EU S/X as well won't it- they did sell em there in 2016/2017 AFAIK.

Just got this from service...coming weeks!?! ughhhh
Yes. We should all wait for the phone call that will never come that we are ready to perform replacement. We just need to keep guessing, and then be put at the point in line where which will no doubt be many months from now. I would ask them for a personalized follow up. I get it, and will be getting it in this case. My service manager is keeping my appointment, and moving it out 15 days each time if parts are not in.

Very hard for some to understand the difference between buying FSD with the many promises, and a pat on the back years and years ago. Many have watched and waited, and then bought now. They get their stuff now. Great for them, but don't be mad at us as we wait. That promise never went away.

Not sure why they'd need to touch most of the items you list at all.

This is the existing wiring path, for example. It's all tucked within the headliner, and behind the side curtain airbags. This is where a new camera conductor would have to be run and properly affixed to the existing harness.

1634918110300.png

I could be way off, but I'm thinking in terms of how trivially 2 devices can transmit over the same an ethernet cable from a hub to a switch even if the other end goes into a single port on a switch then the switch handles getting each signal to the right place.

It's going to be hardware level muxer and demuxer on each side, like a MAX9247/9248 pair. It would require a new triple head camera module board to be designed and fabricated, as well as a new driving computer board designed and fabricated, which is certainly not a trivial task. This is not exactly a packet switched bus, but an application specific protocol / wiring solution designed to transmit a single video signal continuously.

Sorry for missing the other thread with the exact same concerns, asked modes to merge with:

Mobile Service cancelled mine as well. Advised checking back at a future date. Hmmm, tomorrow is in the future.
This is all familiar. Same thing happened with the “yellow ring” around the main screen and the upgrades to HW3 and MCU2. I will be very surprised if this is resolved within six months.

But after using FSD Beta on my 3 for two weeks, I am not really that concerned about adding it to my S yet. The driving experience with the wide release software on my S is ten times more enjoyable than the Beta on my 3. I want what I paid for before I die of old age but seriously doubt Beta FSD will be better than the wide release software for a long time.

Last edited:
This is the response I received from Tesla service “Hello from Tesla, the camera retrofit is not available yet and no one from Tesla has shared any information with the service team in regards to this. We are going to cancel this appointment by end of day today. Thank you.”
Yup, I just got shot down from centinela service in Los Angeles and appointment canceled as well. Not surprised but frustrating none the less.

What am I missing here. According to this spreadsheet, there are S&X cars without an interior camera that are running FSD Beta. While I agree and interior awareness camera may be needed, there are cars on FSD Beta without it.
When real level 5 happens (in a decade or more), why would an interior awareness camera be needed, since the car will be driving itself.
Wiki - MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences - starting on Friday, October 8th, 2021
“Color-challenged” exterior cameras installed in late 2016 to mid 2017 are the issue

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl