Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it doesn't use the interior camera for actual driving perception it doesn't seem like it'd be an obstacle to send an additional signal over the existing wires and let the computer filter the data.

I could be way off, but I'm thinking in terms of how trivially 2 devices can transmit over the same an ethernet cable from a hub to a switch even if the other end goes into a single port on a switch then the switch handles getting each signal to the right place.

tagging @verygreen as he'd likely have far more insight on this.

It's likely US regs will be coming too (esp with recent NHTSA announcements)- but this same AP camera swap will be need on EU S/X as well won't it- they did sell em there in 2016/2017 AFAIK.
hw3 units for s/x cars actually have the selfie cam header populated. You do need to put in a bit of extra harness if you were to add an interior camera to connect it, of course, but it seems that was in the plans by now since hw2.5 units did not have the selfie camera header populated on s/x cars

Boo - not surprised. Hope they figure it out soon
20211022_192039548_iOS.png

I surprisingly got a phone call this morning from the SC (in addition to the cancellation in the app)

So while I expressed my frustration to the guy, he told me that they all found out this morning about Elon's tweet and the camera upgrade.

While I was pretty upset about the whole turn of events, it was kind of funny when he told me "we often find out new information from Twitter just like you guys, as there is no preceding internal documentation. So we are not yet prepaired for this and we don't have any details of this new upgrae"

Just got this from service...coming weeks!?! ughhhh
Thanks for posting this. I have mobile service scheduled for Wednesday, but haven't heard any messaging from them yet on this (same dispatching Service Center).

Sigh... they knew this the whole time. Why drag this out? This could have been done a year ago when I dropped my car off for the MCU2 upgrade.

Soooo.... what now ... we know none of us will be included with 10.3 ... do we opt out of the safety score ?!?
Do we post our cancellation messages all over twitter?
I don't know what to do :(
As soon as it's about 9:00 AM my time (Pacific), I'm going to click that unenroll button with much aggression.

At least I'll be able to take certain roads and routes that I had avoided due to traffic and 90 degree high speed turns.

So disappointing.

Reactions: El joe
With Tesla's pace, I wouldn't be surprised if the process drags on for a year or 2.
Not sure it would be that bad to upgrade the cameras, they were pretty fast with offering the HW3 and that was for a lot more cars.
The cameras are pretty cheap and quick to replace.

My concern is more that something bad happens before we get in, and this expansion gets put on hold

That is your take away from "early production cars will need camera upgrades, as well as FSD computer (all included in the price)" ???

You are given the ability to upgrade your car with the hardware included... but all you see is fraud?

And the fact that it is a pretty easy swap...
We are not given the ability to upgrade the hardware. The camera upgrade is not currently available. There is no ETA on when it will. And there's no ETA on when even once you have the hardware installed that the FSD beta, the one we've been waiting FIVE YEARS for, will be available.

We are being told we *will* be able to upgrade the hardware at some undisclosed point in the future -- well AFTER they continued to take payment for upgrading to FSD with the implication that if you had a 100 (or 99) score you would get access to the beta.

Maybe $6K is no big deal to you. But I can think of a lot of other things I might have done with $6K this Fall if I had known that the FSD beta wouldn't be available until some unknown time in the future.

Soooo.... what now ... we know none of us will be included with 10.3 ... do we opt out of the safety score ?!?
Do we post our cancellation messages all over twitter?
I don't know what to do :(

Opt out and pretend FSD Beta doesn’t exist until we get some more communication on the upgrades.

It’s been proven you don’t need 7 days of driving for the score, just 100 miles. So if we find out our cars are ready we can get the camera upgrade then re-enroll and drive 100 miles with 100 score and should show up. No need to keep driving and maintaining a score when it’s so easy to just reset it and get a 100 score day with 100 miles.

The pessimist in me thinks that the FSD Beta program will be shut down before we are able to get the upgrade and try it. I hope I’m incorrect.
This appears to be the most likely outcome. If we aren't delivered these features now, however incomplete, we won't have anything. At least with this partially working system, we could refuse all updates when the NHTSA shuts it down.

Depends, it may or may not be a while.

Best case is that the retrofit kit will just be cameras that they are already installing now and have in stock and a small firmware flag change, in which case I hope this will be quick.

Worst case is engineering just got their marching orders via Twitter and it's been added to their ever-increasing backlog, somewhere behind waypoints in navigation or the fire fire holiday update.

Good question I will talk to parts in a couple days and see what's up.
I just got back from tesla service center and talked with the parts guys. They ordered me the wrong parts the latest b-pillar cameras as installed in MS up to Jan 2021 is 1496707-S0-B & 1496709-S0-B. They mentioned the parts dept. in Texas had a couple everywhere else was out. Had them order it for me so that should wrap up my camera upgrades. I talked with the service advisors about this whole ap2.0 camera issue and they were unaware. They said no one had requested a retrofit of these yet they thanked me for warning them.

Attachments

• pillars.jpg
    pillars.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 62
Booked mobile service soonest I could. We shall see what they come back with. The SC is like an hour away so it defaulted to mobile service. Will report back when they probably reach back to me tomorrow during business hours. You better believe I included the Elon tweet as a picture for the service request
I already spoke with SC.. there are no retrofits available at this time.. likely after beta testing

Booked mobile service soonest I could. We shall see what they come back with. The SC is like an hour away so it defaulted to mobile service. Will report back when they probably reach back to me tomorrow during business hours. You better believe I included the Elon tweet as a picture for the service request
Don’t bother! Spoke with SC and they said there are currently NO retrofits for cameras and likely won’t be until after beta! Smh

good point. I will ask him. For me, I hope it never magically appears, but I realize a lot of people really want it.
Now that Elon confirmed no AP2 cars are getting the beta until cameras are replaced, I am becoming increasingly curious about these 2 cars you mentioned.
If they are not Tesla employees (or part of the EAP) testing AP2 hardware, how could they possibly be in the Beta? Unless they have AP2.5 cars and they think they are AP2.
Just very curious

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D and KrenGrl