Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made an appointment on Friday in "Full Self-Driving Computer" category specifying "Upgrade all AP 2.0 RCCC cameras to RCCB FSD" attaching pic of EM twit - it has not been cancelled yet, scheduled for Oct 27, so, they still have time to cancel it, actually expecting it on Mon
Aaaan, just as expected, from SC:

"Hello from Tesla this upgrade is not available at this point. I will be closing the ticket"

Reactions: fbitz777
Here are all the updated Camera Parts to bring you up to a Jan 2021 Build for a MS

Not all parts though, but supposedly good enough for vision based FSD beta(until they find another reason to leave us out again). Here's a list of differences from my reddit post I made 3 years ago between Pre July 2017 and Post July 2017 Model S builds

1. Camera suite - AP2.0 has RCCC filters compared to AP2.5 which has RCCB filters, not sure if the resolution or anything else is also different
  2. Radar - AP2.0 has a 160m range Bosch radar while AP2.5 has a Continental 250m range Radar (Radar is also not just longer range, conti radar is dual range, with pedestrian detections and such (not sure that part is as important)
  3. All AP2.0 cars have MCU1
  4. Needed required Wiring redundancy (not sure if any internal wirings need to be upgraded, when I took my AP2.0 car for a simple upgrade for door handle lights and rear door puddle lights, it was evaluated as not feasible)
5. There's a new efuse block missing in ap2.0 cars with a bunch of redundant wiring. new radar needs additional wiring too since it has two canbuses

6. steering rack is different in hw2.5 and allows for redundancy and dual input, nothing like this on hw2.0
dg6kxwkug5q21.jpg

Not all parts though, but supposedly good enough for vision based FSD beta(until they find another reason to leave us out again). Here's a list of differences from my reddit post I made 3 years ago between Pre July 2017 and Post July 2017 Model S builds

1. Camera suite - AP2.0 has RCCC filters compared to AP2.5 which has RCCB filters, not sure if the resolution or anything else is also different
  2. Radar - AP2.0 has a 160m range Bosch radar while AP2.5 has a Continental 250m range Radar (Radar is also not just longer range, conti radar is dual range, with pedestrian detections and such (not sure that part is as important)
  3. All AP2.0 cars have MCU1
  4. Needed required Wiring redundancy (not sure if any internal wirings need to be upgraded, when I took my AP2.0 car for a simple upgrade for door handle lights and rear door puddle lights, it was evaluated as not feasible)
5. There's a new efuse block missing in ap2.0 cars with a bunch of redundant wiring. new radar needs additional wiring too since it has two canbuses

6. steering rack is different in hw2.5 and allows for redundancy and dual input, nothing like this on hw2.0
dg6kxwkug5q21.jpg

It appears that FSD beta is also relying on MCU2 to receive map data, which a slow MCU like MCU1 is not capable of. Although Tesla/Elon kept insisting that MCU2 is not a requirement for FSD, and hence it was a 2.5k paid upgrade for me. Now if there is a confirmation that MCU2 is being used for FSD beta(by denying FSD beta for those who have MCU1 with HW3.0 and RCCB cameras), I'm going to ask for refund of MCU2 upgrade because ALL HARDWARE needed for FSD was included in the FSD add-on of 3k/5k we purchased.

Also, I have enrolled for group legal plan from work with regular deductions from my paycheck, and I will enquire if I can sue Tesla without incurring any attorney costs out of pocket if Tesla keeps throwing cold water on early supporters like us.

Reactions: Shateam
It appears that FSD beta is also relying on MCU2 to receive map data, which a slow MCU like MCU1 is not capable of. Although Tesla/Elon kept insisting that MCU2 is not a requirement for FSD, and hence it was a 2.5k paid upgrade for me. Now if there is a confirmation that MCU2 is being used for FSD beta(by denying FSD beta for those who have MCU1 with HW3.0 and RCCB cameras), I'm going to ask for refund of MCU2 upgrade because ALL HARDWARE needed for FSD was included in the FSD add-on of 3k/5k we purchased.

Also, I have enrolled for group legal plan from work with regular deductions from my paycheck, and I will enquire if I can sue Tesla without incurring any attorney costs out of pocket if Tesla keeps throwing cold water on early supporters like us.
Please start a class action lawsuit. We as a group will not get this until Tesla is pushed to act. Just does not seem like a big enough issue at this point for 10-15 thousand cars.

The following was the tweet:

Tesla Silicon Valley Club:
What is going to happen to 2016 and 2017 teslas with fsd ? Will they get beta? Members are working on high safety scores.

Elon Musk:
Yeah, although early production cars will need camera upgrades, as well as FSD computer (all included in the price)

- End Of Tweet

The 2 options I wrote were simply my way of providing an example of 2 different possible interpretations of Elon's tweet.
Thanks, Glad you clarified that because the way it was shown in the original post, it can mislead people to think Elon also said those "options" in his tweet which of course he didn't.

The only option is the camera upgrade that doesn't exist.
Just went to my local service center and talked with them. My first contact has not heard of the camera upgraded. He went to the back and talked to the assistant service manager which he said he saw a service bulletin about this. At this point it is just that. No guidance how to do it or time frame. Left my contact info and hopefully they will call when they get info. He did say the bulletin said only the triple windshield cameras needed to be replaced and not the side ones. Color blind to stoplights? (we will have to see if that is true). This all the info I could get. He did thank me for the info as they often find out about things like this from the public and not Tesla. Wished Elon would not tweet things like this with no plan. Based on his experience he did not think this would get address very fast and we know that by the way they handled MCU2 upgrade.

Just went to my local service center and talked with them. My first contact has not heard of the camera upgraded. He went to the back and talked to the assistant service manager which he said he saw a service bulletin about this. At this point it is just that. No guidance how to do it or time frame. Left my contact info and hopefully they will call when they get info. He did say the bulletin said only the triple windshield cameras needed to be replaced and not the side ones. Color blind to stoplights? (we will have to see if that is true). This all the info I could get. He did thank me for the info as they often find out about things like this from the public and not Tesla. Wished Elon would not tweet things like this with no plan. Based on his experience he did not think this would get address very fast and we know that by the way they handled MCU2 upgrade.
I assume you talked to the people at the Rocklin service center? They've always been good.

I dont think that's the case evidenced by the fact that Tesla switched from AP 2.0 (RCCC cameras) to AP 2.5 (RCCB) in August of 2017 - they knew then, 4 years ago
Sure they knew - but when everyone started cribbing about lack of FSD beta - they realized what the issue was (again?).

Basically, at this point the numbers are probably so small - the mid-level managers would naturally deprioritize (unless Elon personally intervenes).

Reactions: Cheburashka
Just to clear up some confusion here a restricted part means tesla must install at the service center. It makes perfect sense for this to be so this is the main eye for our tesla's. It requires careful calibration with a bunch of stationary signs with specific locations. Would you want to take the liability replacing these camera's? What if you had an accident and they pointed it back to improper installation? I paid only 30 bucks to have the latest triple cam installed at the service center. Later this week I will have all the cams upgraded and will be the guinea pig here. The build can be edited just like they did with the 60 --> 75 pack. There is a configurable area in the MCU to specify V2 cams once this is changed from V1 to V2 we should be good. The time to replace all the cams realistically is 30 mins for a well seasoned tesla tech. Nothing is stopping you from going to tesla parts counter in the service center and ordering all the upgraded cams. If you want the updated PN's they are in the EPC parts catalog online. I had to educate the service and parts advisors on this whole camera debacle last week. They were very appreciative as Corporate is always leaving them in the dark.

Here are all the updated Camera Parts to bring you up to a Jan 2021 Build for a MS

INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3 1120520-00-B
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RH 1642011-00-A
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LH 1642010-00-A
APPLIQUE,MS,B PLR,RH ASSY 1496709-S0-B
APPLIQUE,MS,B PLR,LH ASSY 1496707-S0-B
Backup Camera doesn't need to be upgraded using same model# and is RGGB
Please keep us updated on your progress

Reactions: Vector2
Well my service center informed me today that my service appointment for this Wednesday has been cancelled due to a lack of instructions/parts availability to perform the upgrade/retrofit.

On another note, if you haven't already opted out, I have to say it's brought a ton of driving enjoyment back to driving the X. It's tempered however, everytime I pop onto YouTube (my alogrithm has FSD videos pop up on suggested videos) as well as all the forum posts about experiences with the beta. I hope they'll just come up with a formal statement posted to the tesla site just like the did with the infotainment soon.

Reactions: MikeScarne

Thanks for the updates! If it’s just the triple cam then hopefully this will get sorted out quickly. I feel for the service teams.

Now that so many owners are learning each day how to easily game the system — and Tesla has done nothing to stop it — the “limited-access” FSD Beta has essentially become production software. Just in TeslaFi alone there are nearly 1000 participants. (Of course this de facto production software does still require the Safety Score entry and threatens the big stick of kicking one out if they “misbehave.”)

So it is now a little puzzling why Tesla continues to use the Safety Score entrance card. Meanwhile the “forgotten” 2.0 crowd here discuss whether they should just forget the Safety Score and go back to normal driving. I can see why Tesla would still boot out careless users but the Safety Score screen for new participants has been trampled and could just as well be eliminated. That would be nice for our peace of mind.

Last edited:
Now that so many owners are learning each day how to easily game the system — and Tesla has done nothing to stop it...

So it is now a little puzzling why Tesla continues to use the Safety Score entrance card.
They honestly don't care. The safety score has been for lawyers and media only - it continues to serve that purpose. It has nothing to do with safety. It's a con game and has been since day 1.

They honestly don't care. The safety score has been for lawyers and media only - it continues to serve that purpose. It has nothing to do with safety. It's a con game and has been since day 1.
Maybe it was just Elon's furthering the premise "what if life is just a simulation". Elon tells his buddies, "Look, I can make thousands of people drive like old people". It could be a way to get some driving dynamics to get better insurance stats.
I disenrolled while at 98, since it will be awhile until my HW2 car will be eligible. It is so nice to drive like "normal", my Tesla is fun again, and the Tesla Grin is back!

Reactions: dinonugget and BM3B