Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I press the subscribe button and they make me buy the FSD HW3 hardware which I pay for

Yes- purchasing FSD includes free HW upgrades. Renting it does not.

Then I pay 99 to find out that I can't get FSD beta due to cameras Then you tell me I might need to pay for cameras now.

For $99 you get all general/wide release features of FSD currently available for 1 month.

There's nothing in your subscription that inherently "gets" you into a limited access beta testing program- and if you look at the listed subscription features the beta isn't one of them.

To my understanding, right now it won't even let you subscribe to the $99/mo thing if you don't have the needed HW for all public features (ie you don't have HW3 for example).

My expectation is the subscribe button would go away for AP2 cam owners at such point as city streets is ready to move to wide release unless they are owners who have upgraded cameras- same as the case with the computers- and you'd be offered an option to get a (paid) camera upgrade instead just as you are today for the computer.

That is not sitting well but again at least I did not pay $5000 in 2017 for this.

It was $3000 when purchased with the car up through early 2019.

Depending how much non-buyers end up spending upgrading computers, cameras, etc this may turn out to be quite the bargain at 3k.

Best I can tell, the AP3/camera upgrade are free to FSD "purchasers". But FSD "subscribers" do need to pay for upgrades. At least, that's my understanding. Someone correct me if that's wrong. But if subscribing, you very well may be correct.

Yup.

Based so far on everything Tesla has stated (and indeed what they've actually done regarding the HW3 computer) if you BUY FSD you get any needed HW upgrades in the future for free.

If you rent FSD you don't.

Well my experience is that they had requested me to come to the SC for replacing my FSD Computer/upgrade (It was 2 day event).. Not sure if this is true for other SC's.

This seemed hugely YMMV.

All the initial installs were certainly at SCs--- but by late 2019 into 2020 at least folks were widely reporting having this done in an hour in their driveway by rangers.

Another user suggested they moved back to SCs for SW update reasons a few posts back but that's the first report of that I've seen so no idea if that's widespread or not.

Last edited:
Yes- purchasing FSD includes free HW upgrades. Renting it does not.

For $99 you get all general/wide release features of FSD currently available for 1 month.

There's nothing in your subscription that inherently "gets" you into a limited access beta testing program- and if you look at the listed subscription features the beta isn't one of them.

To my understanding, right now it won't even let you subscribe to the $99/mo thing if you don't have the needed HW for all public features (ie you don't have HW3 for example).

My expectation is the subscribe button would go away for AP2 cam owners at such point as city streets is ready to move to wide release unless they are owners who have upgraded cameras- same as the case with the computers- and you'd be offered an option to get a (paid) camera upgrade instead just as you are today for the computer.
I have HW3 ( I paid for it!) I also paid for MCU2 but "unrelated" to FSD
And yes I got on the FSD queue as part of subscription (currently being tested for safety) ! I know of people who are running Beta FSD as part of subscription.

No, they don't.

If you don't buy FSD then your HW being unable to run FSD is not in any way damaging to you, so Tesla has no obligation to correct that.

That’s debatable. If you want to sell that car and it doesn’t have all of the hardware to run FSD, will you be able to get as much money for it as you would if you can state that it is currently 100% hardware ready for FSD? Maybe, maybe not. While it may be true that the new owner can work with Tesla to get the hardware added for free, who wants a hassle with a car they have just purchased? And we all know getting promised FSD hardware added by Tesla has proven to be a lengthy hassle for many of us.

Also, Tesla’s promise in 1996 wasn’t that they would someday provide the needed hardware for FSD if you were patient enough and purchased FSD first. They said the cars had all of the needed hardware. I’m not as anxious as you may be to let them out of contractual commitments just because a guy like wk057 may have what you may view as “evil” intent for holding them to the contractual provision. His cars should have the needed hardware according to the contract. Tesla can then choose to block anything he is doing that is “inappropriate.”

That’s debatable. If you want to sell that car and it doesn’t have all of the hardware to run FSD, will you be able to get as much money for it as you would if you can state that it is currently 100% hardware ready for FSD?

Absolutely.

Because the new owner, if they buy FSD, gets the upgrades for free.

There's literally no cost to anybody (but Tesla)

Maybe, maybe not. While it may be true that the new owner can work with Tesla to get the hardware added for free, who wants a hassle with a car they have just purchased? And we all know getting promised FSD hardware added by Tesla has proven to be a lengthy hassle for many of us.

Also, Tesla’s promise in 1996 wasn’t that they would someday provide the needed hardware for FSD if you were patient enough. They said the cars had all of the needed hardware. I’m not as anxious as you may be to let them out of contractual commitments just because a guy like wk057 may have what you may view as “evil” intent for holding them to the contractual provision. His cars should have the needed hardware according to the contract. Tesla can then choose to block anything he is doing that is “inappropriate.”

And this is the difference between "legal damages" and "ooh! they promised!"

I agree their promise didn't turn out to be true.

But so long as they make it true for any purpose that matters relevant to the original claim- which they have and state they will continue to do- there's no "damages" legally speaking. If you buy FSD you get all the HW needed to run it at no additional cost.

"I want to hack your software" is not a valid purpose for which to demand upgrades. Hughes hasn't "lost" anything based on Teslas original promise.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
My service appointment was canceled today, this was the message:

"Greetingsl Thank you for scheduling via your Tesla App. The Camera retrofit is not available at this time but you will be notified when the retrofit becomes available for your vin. Once receiving this notification, you will be able to schedule the visit as parts are available. - Thank you"

Hope it's not too long from now!

• Informative
Reactions: sfuape and Dr Doom
Yup, very true!
I made the appointment for the cameras update immediately following Elon's tweet.
Following morning SC calls me to cancel the appointment and told me that they just found out about the need for a camera upgrade via Twitter that morning... and had no additional information other than Elon's tweet.
Crazy!
seriously this is so messed up that even SC staff don't know what is going on. Tesla is no longer the silicon valley upstart that is brand new and trying to break into the scene. They are global and have a valuation of 1 trillion dollars and thousands of employees. They just remain extremely disorganized and seem at the whims of Elon.

you will be notified when the retrofit becomes available for your vin.
Lies. I waited a year before requesting my FSD computer upgrade. Never notified. Most people weren't.

Plus if you have MCU1, you're hosed anyways, since we're all on 2020.48.x.x. However, they DID notify me that I was eligible for a $2500 MCU2 upgrade!

I guess if anybody needed extra confirmation that no AP2 are in FSD Beta and/or estimated start of AP2.5 hardware going into production:

10.3 recall production dates.png

Well just got back from my local service center. The latest B-Pillar cameras were in so i grabbed them. Two of the service advisors I had been working with for 4 years left. Must of got fed up surprised they lasted that long super nice people. Anyways I had made an appointment weeks ago to upgrade these pillar cameras. He said no that was an appointment to get your parts mentioned they couldn't get me in for 3 weeks. I said I will install them did happen to grab some screenshots of my config. They are using a live view of what parts are actually installed. Do they probe them or is it a MCU config change not sure. Anybody know how to replace the b-pillar cameras them plastic fasteners always suck.

Attachments

• IMG_3577.jpg
    IMG_3577.jpg
    840.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3578.jpg
    IMG_3578.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3579.jpg
    IMG_3579.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3576.jpg
    IMG_3576.jpg
    802.1 KB · Views: 56
Well just got back from my local service center. The latest B-Pillar cameras were in so i grabbed them. Two of the service advisors I had been working with for 4 years left. Must of got fed up surprised they lasted that long super nice people. Anyways I had made an appointment weeks ago to upgrade these pillar cameras. He said no that was an appointment to get your parts mentioned they couldn't get me in for 3 weeks. I said I will install them did happen to grab some screenshots of my config. They are using a live view of what parts are actually installed. Do they probe them or is it a MCU config change not sure. Anybody know how to replace the b-pillar cameras them plastic fasteners always suck.
I hope you won’t be too disappointed when you still aren’t invited to the FSD Beta Party😀