Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Regarding the FSD software on my Model S, (considering I have a Feb 2017 Model S with the full camera swap and the RCCB software tag enabled in it's Gateway), unfortunately I didn't hit the "Request Full Self-Driving Beta" button when my car got the 2021.32.22 firmware update, as I thought the Beta Score® thing was a plain ridiculous joke on us early adopters that were promised, and payed for, FSD since October 2016, so my Model S is currently on the 2021.36.5.5 software branch with all of us that didn't request the FSD Beta and/or declined to play Elon's games on software and features we payed for literally years ago.
  • Sorry for my long post, but just wanted to share my 2 cents on the matter.

Currently downloading 2021.36.5.1 also ... So does 2021.36.5.5 remove "the button" ?

Not sure why folks care so much about the button. It’s literally meaningless for us. When there’s a plan in place for cameras, you’ll find out here, then It’ll take 2-3 months to get the work done at Tesla… somewhere in between, the button will regain meaning for us, and for sure the button will be put back if it were ever taken away

Not sure why folks care so much about the button. It’s literally meaningless for us. When there’s a plan in place for cameras, you’ll find out here, then It’ll take 2-3 months to get the work done at Tesla… somewhere in between, the button will regain meaning for us, and for sure the button will be put back if it were ever taken away

A bit naive to think Tesla will ever give something back once they take it away. Hence our paranoia.

A bit naive to think Tesla will ever give something back once they take it away. Hence our paranoia.
Case in point: USB Music - cover art 😫😪

Still waiting on the UI refresh that is hopefully the reason for the infinite delay in simply reading the art from the file that's playing, instead of storing it in the media database (which is, inexplicably, stored in car memory and was found to get bloated by raw/full size album art images, which likely led to the removal).

Tesla had a much nicer media UI in 2013 than they do in 2021 😂 "Boiling the frog"... if they gave people 2021's media interface as a straight jump from 2013, there'd be riots outside Tesla HQ. Instead, it's been slowly paper-cut away, slice by slice...

No dissapointements here. Just got the b-pillar off the RH side holy crap they used alot of sealant. There is a huge difference between our 2016 AP2 pillar vs the latest. The biggest thing that stands out is the clear circle around the pillar camera noticeably larger now. This has to come into play in a major way will take pics and document. Whats nice is a software update staged while i was doing this great timing.
So you now have all RCCB cameras installed? You’ll still need tesla to update your gateway config to match your new camera type…

Hughes hasn't "lost" anything based on Teslas original promise.
Of course he has (and so have other owners like me that were promised that our cars had ALL of the hardware needed for FSD back in 2016/2017).

The subscription situation is a perfect example of this: Tesla sold me a car that “has all the hardware needed for FSD”. How can you tell me I have to pay $$$$ to purchase hardware my car is already supposed to have in order to be eligible to subscribe to FSD?

They finally canceled the appt.

Screenshot_20211103-055233_Tesla.jpg

Of course he has (and so have other owners like me that were promised that our cars had ALL of the hardware needed for FSD back in 2016/2017).

Except, no, he has not.

Because he didn't buy FSD.

So there's literally no feature you need FSD HW for that he can use from Tesla.

Show me, in dollars, or even in actual real life functionality, what he lost.

(spoiler: it's nothing)

The subscription situation is a perfect example of this: Tesla sold me a car that “has all the hardware needed for FSD”. How can you tell me I have to pay $$$$ to purchase hardware my car is already supposed to have in order to be eligible to subscribe to FSD?

Because when they told you that there was no subscription.

There was only purchase of FSD.

Which is still available to you with no added hw cost

You are zero percent worse off today than when they made the promise.

Show me, in dollars, or even in actual real life functionality, what he lost.

You are zero percent worse off today than when they made the promise.
Since you've been around a while, I was wondering if you think you're going to change anyone's mind regardless of how many times you post the same thing.

I don't mean for the question to sound disrespectful, I just feel like you're wasting your time. Like I would be wasting my time explaining to you, why I think otherwise. I feel like this is a big thing in politics today...no matter how much the other side says "you're wrong" all it really does is cause people to dig in harder. It's sad really.

Since you've been around a while, I was wondering if you think you're going to change anyone's mind regardless of how many times you post the same thing.

I dunno.

Do you think the people who insist they "lost" something when they can't cite any actual thing they lost will change anyones minds repeating THAT?

How bout the "OMG WE ARE SUFFERING" drama queen stuff? Do those folks think that's changing anyones minds?

I don't mean for the question to sound disrespectful, I just feel like you're wasting your time. Like I would be wasting my time explaining to you, why I think otherwise.

Honestly, if someone had a valid answer to address the point, I'd 100% consider it.

That nobody does yet keeps up with their argument is the problem.

For example- folks who bought FSD in April-Dec 2019.... those folks were actually screwed by Tesla-- because they were promised something with a specific date and did not get it. (two things in fact).

Ditto the 2020 FSD buyers, who were promised 2 things with specific dates and only got 1 of them.

So the idea I'd just defend Tesla when there's a valid reason NOT to simply ain't so.

But "I got screwed because I need a HW upgrade to use a feature I didn't even buy- and I'd get the HW upgrade free if I DID buy it" is not a sensical argument, even when an otherwise very smart guy like Hughes makes it.

Likewise Tesla not having rolled out the details of the AP2 cam upgrade just a couple weeks after even MENTIONING there'd be one, is not "OMG YOU HAVE TOTES FORGOTTEN ALL OF US!" drama.

It's Tesla being crappy at internal coms. Which they have been since forever, and especially should not surprise early adopters

You're getting free camera upgrades for your luxury sedan to get into a limited-access beta program. It's gonna take a minute.

You're not SUFFERING.

And FWIW, I went through this waiting for a HW upgrade thing myself, with HW3.

It was frustrating because Tesla sucks at internal coms-- I had multiple appointments cancelled due to lack of parts (and that was after they'd ACTUALLY started doing the work- not just spamming service requesting things I know they can't even do yet).

It's 100% a thing Tesla should fix.

But nobody kicked my dog or burned my house down like some folks are acting like. A company was slow to do something they eventually did, that's it.

Last edited:
You're getting free camera upgrades for your luxury sedan to get into a limited-access beta program. It's gonna take a minute.
Being on the bleeding edge of automotive software was one of the main reasons I bought this car. It now no longer performs that function. If I wanted to wait for months for functionality, I would have just followed through buying the Polestar. Based on statements Elon has repeatedly made about early and priority access for FSD buyers, I figured a car that had FSD on the day 1 Monroney in Aug 2017 would be the the best chance of getting priority as a new buyer in 2020. Now, getting any future functionality is based on the whims of when Elon decides to allow engineers to document and send out retrofit instructions. Being explicitly told the car was EOL would have been preferable. I'd prefer to go back to a car that is static in terms of functionality than one that is a constant tease, and if there is no service bulletin by the time I'm back from my overseas work, I'm snagging the first Cross Country Pro I can, and never looking back.

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
Being on the bleeding edge of automotive software was one of the main reasons I bought this car. It now no longer performs that function.

It didn't when you bought it either if you weren't in the early access program (entrance into which was NOT sold with the car)

So again you're mad you don't have something you never had anyway.

Buying the car means you can get the latest WIDE RELEASE features.

Which you have.

Based on statements Elon has repeatedly made about early and priority access for FSD buyers, I figured a car that had FSD on the day 1 Monroney in Aug 2017 would be the the best chance of getting priority as a new buyer in 2020.

FWIW, this is another case where I agree Tesla did something wrong--- having promised EA membership to early FSD buyers (well after purchase- which will matter here in a minute) then abandoning the promise.

That said- as it was never part of the sale of FSD in the first place, and there's no monetary harm- there's nothing illegal about it.

Just crappy customer service. But 100% a legit thing to gripe about.

Now, getting any future functionality is based on the whims of when Elon decides to allow engineers to document and send out retrofit instructions.

Nope.

Again- city streets is NOT a public wide release.

If it REACHES public wide release before AP2 cars have all been retrofitted (or those that bought FSD have anyway) I'll grab a pitchfork and torches right along side everyone else and yell about it.

But you have no right to pre-release test versions from simply having bought FSD. That was never part of your purchase.

There's no "whims" involved.

Being explicitly told the car was EOL would have been preferable.

And also untrue.

A simply camera swap brings you back to parity.

And will provided to you for free.

So again you seem to want to be EXTRA DRAMATIC regardless of the facts.

I'd prefer to go back to a car that is static in terms of functionality than one that is a constant tease

Yup, definitely sounds like you should sell your Tesla and go pick up a different, much less capable of being improved, brand.

Makes total sense.

, and if there is no service bulletin by the time I'm back from my overseas work, I'm snagging the first Cross Country Pro I can, and never looking back.

Cool story bro.