Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. The cutoff is actually March 2018. As originally shipped, vehicles between August 2017 and March 2018 can't even get the software updates that let you opt in, because they have MCU1. You have to pay to upgrade your MCU first.
Ok sorry, yes you are correct that no one with MCU1 got the button, however one willing to pay for the upgrade can get it.
The cameras however is a different story; no matter how much money I throw at the service center or in which language I cry, they will not upgrade the cameras to get me in the beta.
Anyone after 8/2017 can pay for MCU2 get the button and and get the beta if they wanted to.

I kind of understand though why MCU2 may be needed to test the beta because of the visualizations.
I think it is pretty important to understand what the car is trying to do and what it sees, as the "tentacle" changes color and direction, so testing on MCU1 would be pretty much blind testing and kind of useless.

I do believe that the HW3 computer will be sufficient with MCU1 to run full FSD but I don't think they want anyone testing the beta without the visualizations.

So I somewhat disagree with the article from Teslarati about tesla not doing MCU upgrade for free.

If I was told hey, your car won't need new cameras for FSD once it's out of beta testing, but if you want to beta test you need new cameras but you have to pay for them, because it won't be necessary... than it would be my choice to pay for the upgrade or wait.

So I feel MCU upgrade is along those lines. You need it to beta test, but once released it's not necessary, so it is your choice to pay for an upgrade.

I realize this a very subjective and controversial subject... I wasn't planning to upgrade it, I watched a few YouTubes on MCU1 to MCU2 and thought, meh, I don't know that it's really worth it... then I had a service appointment, and the loaner was newer with MCU2; after checking it out for a couple of days I was like, yeah, this is definitely worth it! So I did it.

Last edited:
I now have all 5 cameras upgraded to the latest as of Jan/2021. Talked to the service advisors, parts guy, and mechanics about my situation. First the SA's and parts guy said that cameras couldn't be upgraded on my car. They mentioned there was redundant cables going to the cameras. This wasn't the case there is only one cable going to each camera (Plug and Play). One of the SA's next to my car said there was no difference between the old and new cameras. I corrected him really fast then he took off didn't have a leg to stand on. Mechanics mentioned they couldn't change the config with toolbox. The mothership would just send down and update and wipe the change. So I am back to square one even with all new cameras. I would make a great beta tester for the retrofit LOL

I now have all 5 cameras upgraded to the latest as of Jan/2021. Talked to the service advisors, parts guy, and mechanics about my situation. First the SA's and parts guy said that cameras couldn't be upgraded on my car. They mentioned there was redundant cables going to the cameras. This wasn't the case there is only one cable going to each camera (Plug and Play). One of the SA's next to my car said there was no difference between the old and new cameras. I corrected him really fast then he took off didn't have a leg to stand on. Mechanics mentioned they couldn't change the config with toolbox. The mothership would just send down and update and wipe the change. So I am back to square one even with all new cameras. I would make a great beta tester for the retrofit LOL
nice! Do camera wirings (new or old) go to HW2/3 or MCU1/2 or both...I'm a hardware type of guy.

Even if there’s no progress past this it’s still great info that the cameras are plug and play and still functional.

I assume if AP wasn’t working after the changes then you would mention that but this is all a good sign that the upgrade process isn’t as complicated as we might speculate.

nice! Do camera wirings (new or old) go to HW2/3 or MCU1/2 or both...I'm a hardware type of guy.
Not sure on that didn't tear into the dash. All these cameras are so damn easy to swap
Even if there’s no progress past this it’s still great info that the cameras are plug and play and still functional.

I assume if AP wasn’t working after the changes then you would mention that but this is all a good sign that the upgrade process isn’t as complicated as we might speculate.

I actually noticed with the new pillar cameras it sees more cars in the blind spot. With the larger field of view on those between the ap2's it does make a difference. Also to note new pillar camera unit comes with NFC readers. Would be sweet if we could be able to use keycards.

Are any of the active members of this thread able dispassionately to summarize the current state of affairs regarding each "generation" of FSD cars and how each is faring?

I kind of understand though why MCU2 may be needed to test the beta because of the visualizations.
I think it is pretty important to understand what the car is trying to do and what it sees, as the "tentacle" changes color and direction, so testing on MCU1 would be pretty much blind testing and kind of useless.
Not really. If I'm driving a car with FSD Beta, I'm going to be looking at the road, not at visualizations. The visualizations might be nice for folks doing test drives and recording them, so that they can understand why things went wrong, but they're really only critical to the people who are streaming their drives on YouTube and to the people watching those streams. For the rest of us, the screen could be completely black except for the turn signals and lane markers, and it would still would be approximately as valuable as it is now.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Are any of the active members of this thread able dispassionately to summarize the current state of affairs regarding each "generation" of FSD cars and how each is faring?

I thought I had a while back, but not gonna look through 37 pages to check when it's easier to retype.

First let's get the MCU thing out of the way.

For all currently generally released FSD features, MCU1 and MCU2 have the same FSD features available to them. Ditto EAP features (for the folks who bought before the Great Change Of Features breakdown in March 2019).

It's not officially known if any future FSD features will require MCU2 in general release or not, but none currently do.

AFAIK no MCU1 cars- including newer-camera cars- have been invited to test the City Streets limited release code (commonly FSDBeta) but it's unknown why- there's been a few speculations that that may or may not indicate it's a blocker to general release or not (or Tesla might not even know yet).

Ok- so moving on-

There's 2 general sensor suites-(driving computer isn't in the sensor suite)

AP2.0, which is S/X prior to late 2017. These currently get all general release FSD features IF they've been upgraded to HW3 (which comes free with owning FSD). They will need camera upgrades, per Elon, for city streets beta. Free upgrade is coming, no date or details beyond that.
***The fact they're doing that free, without mention of MCU1, suggests currently they still don't think MCU1 is NEEDED for FSD, but RTBS- still it'd be weird they do a free camera upgrade on an MCU1 car if it doesn't actually enable anything additional***

AP2.5, which is later S/X, and all 3/Y ever made. These get all current general release FSD features IF they have HW3 (either via the free upgrade for older FSD owners, the paid one for older FSD subscribers, or from the factory for newer cars). They also can- if located in the US- press the button to opt into trying to qualify for FSDBeta.

There's no AP3- current cars sensor suites are still essentially unchanged since the first 3 in 2017 apart from some tweaking regarding radar (adding a heating element with the Y... and removing the radar entirely from 3/Y NA builds later). Note FSDBeta turns off radar, even for cars that still have it (without the beta radar cars are still using radar on production firmware).

That said- Elon has said there'd be a next gen set of cameras probably coming with a HW4 and the Cybertruck. But that gets pretty speculative beyond that and not directly relevant (except so far as many think HW4 will be required for any FSD features above L2- and more camera upgrades might be too)

So last night I received and installed 36.5.1 and tonight installed 36.5.5
Still have "the button" and the safety score.
36.5.1 added the charge current and departure schedule to the app and brought back the kW numbers on the energy circle.
36.5.5 took away the kW numbers. Other than that I don't know what is different between 36.5.1 and 36.5.5

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200

2021.36.5 Tesla Release Notes

Mobile App Improvements
Model S
Model 3
Model X
Model Y

Available Worldwide

You can now adjust Charge Current, Scheduled Departure or Schedule Charging at your car's current location from the Tesla app.
Note: This functionality requires mobile app version 4.1.0.

Yoke Behavior Changes
Model S 2021+

Available Worldwide

Your turn signals will now automatically turn off when the vehicle detects a merge, fork or lane change maneuver has been completed. If an upcoming navigation event is detected in the direction of the turn signal, or if the vehicle detects a subsequent lane change, the turn signal will not turn off until the maneuver is complete. Turn signals will always latch when pressed. Additionally, you can now press and hold to latch high beam, and to activate the windshield washer.

Note: Turn signals will cancel based on steering angle regardless of the selected setting for Automatic turn signals.

Cold Weather Improvements
Features Depend On Model

Available Worldwide

Additional enhancements have been made to improve your vehicle experience in cold weather.
The windshield wiper wash sequence automatically adjusts to your vehicle speed to better clear salt and grime.
When you navigate to a Supercharger, improved battery preconditioning delivers a faster charge.
Improved temperature consistency throughout the cabin offers more comfort in cold weather.
Model S 2021+You can also warm your cabin faster, including Automatic Seat Heating via the Tesla App.

Note: Not all features are available in all models.

Airbag System Improvements
Model Y

Available Worldwide

Based on recent fleet data analysis, we enhanced your vehicle's restraint and airbag system’s ability to detect and respond to an even wider range of real-world side-impact collisions. This enhancement builds upon prior superior collision protection, based on regulatory and industry crash test ratings, to offer the most cutting-edge safety improvements available today.

Autopark

Model S 2021+

Available Worldwide

Autopark now identifies perpendicular parking spots using painted markings and road edges.

Bioweapon Defense Mode
Model S
Model X
Model Y
Requires Bioweapon Defense Mode

Available Worldwide

You can now purge the vehicle of unhealthy particulates before entering your vehicle by turning on Bioweapon Defense Mode from your mobile app.
Note: This functionality requires mobile app version 4.1.0.

Language Support
Model S 2021+

Available Worldwide

Your touchscreen is now available in over 20 languages. To switch your language setting, tap Controls > Display > Language > Touchscreen.

Released on
October 14, 2021

The release notes above are official Tesla release notes. The models and regions each feature is limited to is derived from user data.

One angle to try... your car *should* be throwing "incorrect camera type" alerts under the hood now. Maybe ask the SC to see if they are able to see these on your car and if so to properly configure it with the correct camera settings so that they go away.

One angle to try... your car *should* be throwing "incorrect camera type" alerts under the hood now. Maybe ask the SC to see if they are able to see these on your car and if so to properly configure it with the correct camera settings so that they go away.
Thanks for the recommendation I scheduled a mobile appointment for 11/15.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D