Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's 2 general sensor suites-(driving computer isn't in the sensor suite)

AP2.0, which is S/X prior to late 2017. These currently get all general release FSD features IF they've been upgraded to HW3 (which comes free with owning FSD). They will need camera upgrades, per Elon, for city streets beta. Free upgrade is coming, no date or details beyond that.
***The fact they're doing that free, without mention of MCU1, suggests currently they still don't think MCU1 is NEEDED for FSD, but RTBS- still it'd be weird they do a free camera upgrade on an MCU1 car if it doesn't actually enable anything additional***

AP2.5, which is later S/X, and all 3/Y ever made.

Ah. I misread your original post and was going to correct it until I went back and saw that first line. I would avoid describing the sensor suite using HW* naming. It's confusing. And there are actually three sensor suites, not two. Later cars have no RADAR.

I would instead call it the pseudocolor (RCCC) sensor suite and the full color sensor suite (RCCB):
  1. Pseudocolor suite — prior to August 2017
  2. Color suite with RADAR — August 2017 through May 2021 (Model 3/Y), all Model S/X so far
  3. Color suite with no RADAR — May 2021 (Model 3/Y)

Ah. I misread your original post and was going to correct it until I went back and saw that first line. I would avoid describing the sensor suite using HW* naming. It's confusing. And there are actually three sensor suites, not two. Later cars have no RADAR.

I would instead call it the pseudocolor (RCCC) sensor suite and the full color sensor suite (RCCB):
  1. Pseudocolor suite — prior to August 2017
  2. Color suite with RADAR — August 2017 through May 2021 (Model 3/Y), all Model S/X so far
  3. Color suite with no RADAR — May 2021 (Model 3/Y)

FWIW I specifically called that out near the end of the post you quoted-(bold added for clarity)

"There's no AP3- current cars sensor suites are still essentially unchanged since the first 3 in 2017 apart from some tweaking regarding radar (adding a heating element with the Y... and removing the radar entirely from 3/Y NA builds later). Note FSDBeta turns off radar, even for cars that still have it (without the beta radar cars are still using radar on production firmware)."

Reactions: dgatwood
I have an observation not related to cameras but firmware 36.5.5

Only charged once (today) since 36.5.5 so don't know if it's something new or a temporary glitch, but I noticed that the flickering green light while charging never went off... continued to flicker the whole time it was charging (several hours)

It finished charging 4 hours ago, and it has been solid green since, never went off... car is still buzzing, already lost 1% and green charge port light is still on.
Car is all closed and locked.
Charge port green light never been on for hours before... anyone else noticed that or it's just me?

Attachments

• IMG_5373.JPG
    IMG_5373.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Speaking of buzzing, since this is a group of the same vintage, do all your cars always buzz when awake?
Newer loaners I've had didn't buzz like mine.
It's not loud but it is very noticeable in the garage.

I recorded this from under the front right wheel well, where it's the loudest. To me it sounds like a glycol pump.

It only stops when the car is deep asleep.
The moment I wake her up, the buzzing starts. As soon as I open the app or the trunk (anything that wakes the car) the buzzing starts.
I uploaded the buzzing here... it's very faint so you may have to crank the volume to hear it.

Sorry this is not a FSD camera related post, but I'm posting here because of all of us being around the same vintage.

Speaking of buzzing, since this is a group of the same vintage, do all your cars always buzz when awake?
Newer loaners I've had didn't buzz like mine.
It's not loud but it is very noticeable in the garage.

I recorded this from under the front right wheel well, where it's the loudest. To me it sounds like a glycol pump.

It only stops when the car is deep asleep.
The moment I wake her up, the buzzing starts. As soon as I open the app or the trunk (anything that wakes the car) the buzzing starts.
I uploaded the buzzing here... it's very faint so you may have to crank the volume to hear it.

Sorry this is not a FSD camera related post, but I'm posting here because of all of us being around the same vintage.
Sounds like the cooling fan on the back of the MCU

Sounds like you need service. My Aug 17 makes strange noises sometimes but not constant like that. Just the louvers opening I think. Have them look at it when you get those cameras.
I tried, and they even ran a coolant system test where they pulled max power and found nothing wrong, so they dismissed it as an issue and I stopped worrying about it.
Just wondering if it's the same on all of our older cars, as the newer ones are not doing it.

I tried, and they even ran a coolant system test where they pulled max power and found nothing wrong, so they dismissed it as an issue and I stopped worrying about it.
Just wondering if it's the same on all of our older cars, as the newer ones are not doing it.
It sounds like it could be the battery coolant pump or powertrain coolant pump. Based on what I've noticed with ScanMyTesla those pumps seem to run any time the car is awake. They run while charging & while driving. I'd have to do some testing to see if they are running when I walk up to the car while it's parked & before it wakes up with my key.

Opting out and opting back in no longer seems to reset the safety score. YMMV
I had a score of 99 before opting out earlier this week. I wonder if that will be captured again when I eventually opt back in. I assume not, especially when you consider that I likely won't be opting back in until the camera upgrade happens which will likely be more than 30 days from when I opted out.

Reactions: scottf200