Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> Until this it was uniformly converted into yuv first

Hmm... Anyone more familiar with this? I think that conversion is a relatively straightforward matrix operation, but maybe doing that for every pixel of every camera feed at 36fps would eat into the compute budget too much? I suppose using raw camera data saves some processing on training time too. At AI Day, Karpathy did talk about a camera rectification step to improve accuracy, but that does benefit millions of vehicles in the fleet vs the smaller RCCC population.
There's literally less & different data in RCCC vs RCCB due to the physical difference in sensor. RCCC is physically incapable of decoding full color, because both B(lue) and G(reen) are missing - it can't be a simple subtractive operation to make a rough G approximation out of the clear (as with RCCB - where C contains all colors at once).

Particularly consider yellow vs. white lane lines. RCCC can't tell the difference.

They tried as hard as they could to kick RCCCs down the road with those transformations, but it's now the end of the road - they simply can't kick it any further.

This is just a long way to say "holy crap Tesla, get your act together with the cameras". Just say something. Any sort of hint that they're actually working on it and aren't going to string people along forever.

Particularly consider yellow vs. white lane lines. RCCC can't tell the difference.
Here's a repeater frame from Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade
rccc repeater.jpg

I guess Tesla did some transformation when saving to TeslaCam for these yellow and white lines to show up differently?

Here's a repeater frame from Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade
View attachment 730247
I guess Tesla did some transformation when saving to TeslaCam for these yellow and white lines to show up differently?
My first impression seeing this... "what're you talking about? This is exactly a case in point", but I guess you can technically point to the almost imperceptibly different shade of grey between the white and yellow lines. You can't possibly be holding this up as a case that processing "colorizes" this B&W image 😂

Absolutely not suitable for the kind of processing done with "full color capable" images today. As said before, the nets are different now - trained on full color, not B&W.

almost imperceptibly different shade of grey between the white and yellow lines … nets are different now - trained on full color, not B&W
I'm well aware that RCCC captures different information than RCCB cameras, but to be clear, neither are "full color" nor black&white. The earlier claim was that RCCC *can't* tell the difference between yellow and white lines, but some people can see the difference, and computers can too. I totally agree it's really low contrast, but the yellow lines have a higher ratio of red-of-lightness than white (whereas a magenta line could look *exactly* like a yellow line to RCCC). In case you can't see the difference, here's a tool I've used when testing interfaces for accessibility using a yellow line as foreground and a white line as background color:
low red contrast.png

Green's comment of directly training on raw pixels does mean the neural networks may pick up on signals from RCCB that would be different from RCCC, so using a neural network with the older cameras could be dangerous due to similar "overfitting" issues.

• Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
Not exactly sure... it is an anagram for Elder Doge among other possibilities, such as an Edgelord...

Given his activities and him being on full "Naruto-run billionaire" status this weekend, I'm 100% certain it's a play on "edgelord" - definition: "a person who affects a provocative or extreme persona, especially online (typically used of a man)" / example: "edgelords act like contrarians in the hope that everyone will admire them as rebels". Also someone that acts way too cool for anyone to even be worthy of looking at. I think he was in full edgelord mode this weekend on purpose... fairly out of character even for him ;)

Another great definition of being edgy: "An edgelord is someone on an internet forum who deliberately talks about controversial, offensive, taboo, or nihilistic subjects in order to shock other users in an effort to appear cool, or edgy."

IMO its intention has precisely 0 jack diddly to do with doggy coin.

Last edited: