Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you opt back in or were you invited to get the upgrade while still being opted out?

This is quite important information as it seems if that’s the case they really aren’t prioritizing by safety score and it’s likely more about location and supply while using the safety score as a slow upgrade rollout excuse.
I was invited to come in for the camera upgrade while still having been opted out. Now, I am wondering when I should opt back in, before my service center appointment, or after I get the new cameras. Also, for what it’s worth, my safety score was 97 when I had opted out.

Because they haven’t called me in to do it yet. I’ve tried to setup the appt but they won’t do it for me early unless my system starts glitching.

FWIW, a few weeks ago, I proactively requested the upgrade while referencing degradation with my screens (they stay blank a long time when starting a drive), and they scheduled me to replace the eMMC. No pushback at all. Picking up the car today actually. This is the Peabody MA service center. YMMV.

Got an invite to upgrade my 2.0 cameras a few day ago. Scheduled for the 11th, but then they kicked it back to the 26th. I assume they need parts and training. Fingers crossed.

I have a 3/2017 build with MCU2. Paid for FSD when it was $3k a couple of years ago.

Did you opt back in or were you invited to get the upgrade while still being opted out?

This is quite important information as it seems if that’s the case they really aren’t prioritizing by safety score and it’s likely more about location and supply while using the safety score as a slow upgrade rollout excuse.
It's not even by location... I'm prbably less than 200mi from @BeardedBro (he's in SO FL I'm central FL) I have been at 100, >1000mi, opted in on day 1 (9/25) and never opted out.
Got a new message in my inbox last night... ABOUT WINTER DRIVING... IN FLORIDA! :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_5434.PNG
    IMG_5434.PNG
    316 KB · Views: 81
It's not even by location... I'm prbably less than 200mi from @BeardedBro (he's in SO FL I'm central FL) I have been at 100, >1000mi, opted in on day 1 (9/25) and never opted out.
Got a new message in my inbox last night... ABOUT WINTER DRIVING... IN FLORIDA! :mad:
I opted the S100D back in last night and noticed the notification about 30 minutes later. I was excited at first, thinking we'd already received the camera upgrade notification but was quickly disappointed when I found it was only the winter driving tips message.

My son is a manager of one Tesla location, although that location is without service, he came from one with it - the one where I service my car. I dont bother him much with my needs, lol, if we can call this a need, but he did ask service manager to get my cameras upgraded and was told that I need to get an invite first. I would put as much weight into that answer as with any replies from service - next to nothing - but still, I re-enrolled in the SS program (not the Nazi program, the Tesla one).

I was initially enrolled into FSD Beta from the night the button became available but un-enrolled on Oct 25 with 99 score. So far I'm at 100 score with just a few miles, well below 100, planning to get that over 100 in a day or two to get that possible constrain out of the way.

Also, yesterday I scheduled an appointment for FSD cameras upgrade, so far it is still active for Nov 16.

As of today, no invite for cameras upgrade in my inbox yet, south Florida

I was invited to come in for the camera upgrade while still having been opted out. Now, I am wondering when I should opt back in, before my service center appointment, or after I get the new cameras. Also, for what it’s worth, my safety score was 97 when I had opted out.
As “low charge” said this is critical info. I opted back in thinking it was needed to be considered, but it seems Tesla once again has done the opposite of what their website says that your safety score is important. Are they using a score that has been archived?
Also put in a service request anyways but was canceled saying I have to wait for the invite.

My son is a manager of one Tesla location, although that location is without service, he came from one with it - the one where I service my car. I dont bother him much with my needs, lol, if we can call this a need, but he did ask service manager to get my cameras upgraded and was told that I need to get an invite first. I would put as much weight into that answer as with any replies from service - next to nothing - but still, I re-enrolled in the SS program (not the Nazi program, the Tesla one).

I was initially enrolled into FSD Beta from the night the button became available but un-enrolled on Oct 25 with 99 score. So far I'm at 100 score with just a few miles, well below 100, planning to get that over 100 in a day or two to get that possible constrain out of the way.

Also, yesterday I scheduled an appointment for FSD cameras upgrade, so far it is still active for Nov 16.

As of today, no invite for cameras upgrade in my inbox yet, south Florida
Aaaand... my cameras upgrade appointment got cancelled: "This retrofit is not available at the moment, once parts are available, you will get a confirmation email"

Damn that sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if I get cancelled as well.
I imagine you read the information on the Tesla website where they explained that due to parts shortages the upgrades would be by invitation only according to VIN#s with MCU2 and high Safety Scores first. I don’t think anyone has reported that have successfully kept a scheduled appointment without the invitation but maybe you will be the first.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EVNow
I imagine you read the information on the Tesla website where they explained that due to parts shortages the upgrades would be by invitation only according to VIN#s with MCU2 and high Safety Scores first. I don’t think anyone has reported that have successfully kept a scheduled appointment without the invitation but maybe you will be the first.
I hadn’t read that. Thanks.

Don’t want to derail the thread, but has anybody had their drive not get logged in the safety score? I recently opted back in yesterday and logged a few miles. However, my 20 mile drive to work today didn’t get logged. I’ll post in the safety score thread, too. Just curious.

Yes and yes. New cameras started around 09/2017 build dates. MCU1 support is less clear down the road but to date I've not seen any MCU1 cars with FSD beta.
Not sure if you read the verbiage about the MCU question on the Tesla website: “We are working through supply constraints, and the invitations will be staggered as supply allows. Invitations will be sent first to vehicles with the highest safety scores containing Intel Atom® infotainment processors and then to those containing NVIDIA® Tegra® processors.”

Sounds pretty clear that they will install free cameras on MCU1 cars at some point and it would be strange to do that if they weren’t going to get FSD Beta. Of course, I realize some MCU1 owners may be holding out hope that the planned install of the cameras will imply a free install of MCU2 for FSD Beta to function. (Free MCU2 would suck for those of us who purchased it but so did paying full price for FSD in 2016-19 when Tesla subsequently slashed the price by a lot during the short-lived Spring 2019 “FSD/AP/EAP sale.”)

Last edited:
Not sure if you read the verbiage about the MCU question on the Tesla website: “We are working through supply constraints, and the invitations will be staggered as supply allows. Invitations will be sent first to vehicles with the highest safety scores containing Intel Atom® infotainment processors and then to those containing NVIDIA® Tegra® processors.”
But they are not doing it by highest safety score down.
Some with 97, 98 or not even opted in are getting the invite message, while others with 100 have not.
Seems random.

I'm going to opt back in this afternoon. I want to see if my old score of 97 will be retained after having opted out for a few days. If it's still 97, I'll be driving extra carefully, hoping to hit 98 or 99 by the time I get the cameras upgraded. If it's reset, well, I'll be driving extra carefully regardless to hit at least 98.