Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope I don't get anyone at my local SC(s) in trouble, but just an FYI: I was able to get my camera upgrade done WITHOUT having been "invited" for it...

I scheduled the soonest SC appointment possible when I saw Elon's tweet RE needing cameras. Put it in as a "Full Self Driving Computer" upgrade with notes that I already had HW3 but needed the updated cameras installed. When I showed up for this appointment on ~Nov 1st, they obviously had not read my notes. After some back and forth, they told me there was no way for them to do the upgrade and that the parts didn't exist yet for it (hah!).

I gave them a PN list for the cameras needed and asked them to order them for me as parts to purchase (They quoted ~$765 for all of them iirc)... Also had them schedule me for a followup SC visit (soonest which was a few weeks out, ~Nov 16th). In that time, Tesla finally posted on their website about the camera upgrades and created a way for SCs to $0 bill the parts/labor for the upgrade (presumably via some internal memo?). Had they not done this, I would have bought the cameras and installed them myself.

When I showed up on the 16th, they did the upgrade. My app still does not show "camera upgrade" as a service option.

8504012B-1AE2-411D-B299-8BFA8AF159C1.jpeg
We got ours too, at 5:55 pm CST. The earliest appointment was 12/13, but since our app will not allow mobile service we took one on 12/16 at the farthest of the 3 local Service Centers because that was the only one with available appointments. We’ll see what happens in 7 days…

I thought the camera upgrade is now based on VIN# not whether opted in FSD or Safety Score.
As soon as I see momentum on upgrades I might re-subscribe to FSD just out curiosity on how much they are going to charge me for cameras after they just charged me for HW3 computer.
Or I'll wait until Tesla claims you need forward facing camera too so they can get footage in case of accidents.

My Service center in the Sacramento area (Rocklin Service center) which has a huge amount of Tesla's in this region says they have not done any camera upgrades yet. I believe they only sent a few invitations out nationwide and then stopped. ( We only know of 5 or 6 in this group)
If this service center has not done or got any invites out we are in for a long wait. Took me several hours to get this info. Was in for a fight today and spent the time. I will continue to tweet etc but it is looking grim....
No, I don't think you are in for a long wait. I know that retrofit kits have been going out this last week to many areas. Your center should have gotten some by now. And BTW, for someone else saying they didn't get an email about the upgrade availability, the notice comes in the app, then after people schedule an appointment, a confirmation email arrives. Many folks will get invites in the next two weeks, but as we all know, there is a backlog of people wanting the upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCCA and Shateam