Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to do everyone a favor...

Capture.PNG

Safety Score Threads listed here...

Plus 6580 more

I am headed to pick my car up later today from getting the camera retrofit. Is there anything I should double check to make sure they do when I’m picking it up to make sure it can/will get the FSD beta? Do they need to reconfigure anything etc? I checked my original estimate and the part numbers are correct but final invoice isn’t showing yet so I will cross reference that when it does. 99 safety score currently so hopefully can get it on the next rollout 🤞

I just picked up my car and got home but I am worried they didn’t put in the right cameras even though the invoice shows the correct parts. Should the reds be the same on the side cameras as they are in the reverse camera?

Attachments

• E52222DE-0B4D-447A-8828-C0CA3EA15323.jpeg
    E52222DE-0B4D-447A-8828-C0CA3EA15323.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 63
I just picked up my car and got home but I am worried they didn’t put in the right cameras even though the invoice shows the correct parts. Should the reds be the same on the side cameras as they are in the reverse camera?
Yup, those colors look correct. Grab a dashcam clip as well so you can verify that the forward triple cam is the right one too, but other than that nothing you need to do other than wait / keep up your safety score until the next beta push.

Cameras were finally put on today after having mislabeled, duplicate parts last time. According to my doorbell camera timestamps, it took 45 minutes to replace them. Now the technician is driving on the interstate calibrating I guess. Looks like a 19 mile loop back to the house?

Sidenote: I know even 1K out of a 50K mile warranty is only 2%, but with the service centers so far away and the techs needing to drive the cars, I feel like those miles shouldn't be counted against our warranties. I was lucky enough to get the 4yr/50K warranty on mine in the summer of 2020 before they changed it to the 1yr/10K after the new warranty is up.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: scottf200
My wife was rebooting every 3rd or 4th trip to avoid anything that would lower the score.
I assume a new wife is out of the question? :rolleyes:

Try to use the basics, at least for her profile - set regen to low, acceleration to chill (not directly related, but more of a mind-set), use AP as much as possible, use AP *always* when > 50 MPH especially on entrance/exit ramps where it's easy to get aggressive following when manually driving, don't take any 90-degree turns faster then 18 MPH. You have the cam's now, hopefully the FSD soon-ish.

Once you have the FSD, turn it off for your wife's profile (if she like most of our wives) and she can then drive more normally.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Amazingly I got my camera retrofit without an invite. I didn’t hassle the service center or book tons of appointments and have them cancelled. I only tried to book the appointment one time and I guess got lucky. I booked with mobile service choosing the option of full self driving computer and put in the notes it was for the camera upgrade. The next day the recall for the frunk latch was announced so I messaged mobile service seeing if I could have that added to the same service. They responded they don’t do that service and had booked me with a local service center for the first available appointment for both items. Weirdly they booked me for an eMMC recall instead of the frunk recall and the camera retrofit. (I do have MCU2). I didn’t want to lose the appointment for the camera retrofit so didn’t change anything and just told them at drop off that I already have MCU2 and they checked the frunk latch anyways during the appointment. Now hopefully my car will still get pushed the next FSD release since I didn’t have an invite to the cameras 🤞

A brief update on my situation,

Completed the full camera retrofit on my own accord with 99% success but the car won’t see the new pillars. Trying everything possible external to Tesla there has been no way to get them to be recognized.

So made an appointment service for service to get their hands on the car and scheduled me for a service appointment for *drum roll* the third week of February. None of the service centers around here have completed a retrofit yet and this is the most Tesla dense area in the country. I’m fearful of how long others will wait just for cameras if this is the case.

So right now I’m hoping a software update that is coming will see the new cams before that date.

Fun times trying to do anything on your own with these cars! Will update as things go on but looks like if done DIY it will still need Tesla’s magic touch.

A brief update on my situation,

Completed the full camera retrofit on my own accord with 99% success but the car won’t see the new pillars. Trying everything possible external to Tesla there has been no way to get them to be recognized.

So made an appointment service for service to get their hands on the car and scheduled me for a service appointment for *drum roll* the third week of February. None of the service centers around here have completed a retrofit yet and this is the most Tesla dense area in the country. I’m fearful of how long others will wait just for cameras if this is the case.

So right now I’m hoping a software update that is coming will see the new cams before that date.

Fun times trying to do anything on your own with these cars! Will update as things go on but looks like if done DIY it will still need Tesla’s magic touch.
You’re in my neck of the woods. Are you going to the SC in Costa Mesa, or the one in Buena Park? I’ve gone to both, and generally find the Buena Park location to be less than…let’s say helpful.

You’re in my neck of the woods. Are you going to the SC in Costa Mesa, or the one in Buena Park? I’ve gone to both, and generally find the Buena Park location to be less than…let’s say helpful.

I’ll be going to the Irvine SC that opened not too long ago. It’s by far the biggest SC I’ve seen with a healthy stocked parts warehouse inside as well.

They seem to have the most capacity in the area and don’t rush me away like the others I’ve experienced.

Amazingly I got my camera retrofit without an invite.
My first step as well. Actually twice - week between requests. Typical Tesla unresponsiveness. That was a month ago.
scheduled me for a service appointment for *drum roll* the third week of February.

Maybe we should add "Service Centers to the XLSX?

Just looking by location it does appear geographicly disbursed. But maybe over time we can see which SC's may be more experienced or cooperative?

Another update! DIY camera upgrade successful!

Apparently the pillar camera sensors (1069104-00-D) that are attached to each pillar appliqué are programmed to work for a specific side regardless of being the same part number.

The pillars I bought were originally separated and I think the right camera got put back on the left appliqué and left cam on right appliqué.

Swapping those cams and doing another redeployment per the suggestion of @appleguru was the fix and all cams are operational again.

I’m confident that if the sensors were on the correct appliqués on my first install then this process would have been seamless and done after the first redeploy but here we are! I learned quite a bit in the process of troubleshooting.

For anyone interested in the DIY route it seems all that’s necessary is to swap for the correct hardware and deploy a firmware reinstall. I’m working on following up with Tesla to see if my VIN needs to be added to a database of upgraded cars before getting beta.

Last edited: