Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've a Tesla Mobile Service appointment for 2/1 to get my key fob fixed, even after batteries changed its not working. I'm going to request the mobile service to open the front camera housing and show me the part number. I doubt my SvC installed the correct Triple front camera 🤦‍♂️ and tesla support can't really tell from their end which part was installed using diagnostic telemetry. Until I get the FSD Beta there will always be such doubts unfortunately 😥

I just had my camera retrofit appointment a few days ago. Not too happy. I have paint chips and scratches from where the technician was probably struggling to take out the side repeaters. Light scratches about 4 inches long below both B pillars. My weather strip on the door now has a hole in it. The drivers side B pillar has the same water spots and dirt on the glass just as I took it in with. One very minor thing that was skipped was topping off the air in my tires. To me that just shows major lack of basic standard service.

I tried to make a follow up appointment at a different SC but I was referred back to the original one that I went to. I’m not even sure if I got all the cameras swapped. My car’s paint isn’t perfect but it should have scratches and paint chips after service from Tesla. View attachment 758736View attachment 758737View attachment 758738

I've a Tesla Mobile Service appointment for 2/1 to get my key fob fixed, even after batteries changed its not working. I'm going to request the mobile service to open the front camera housing and show me the part number. I doubt my SvC installed the correct Triple front camera 🤦‍♂️ and tesla support can't really tell from their end which part was installed using diagnostic telemetry. Until I get the FSD Beta there will always be such doubts unfortunately 😥
Let me know what they find out about the keyfob I am experiencing the same.

Reactions: tezlaMXUR17&24
Record a dashcam clip and review it. Blue used to be grayish with RCCC cameras.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
My key fob also is frequently (maybe 1 out of every 20 drives) not recognized by the car. This has been an issue since I bought the car in February 2019. While the car was under warranty I brought it up multiple times but I was always told they couldn't duplicate the issue.

Record a dashcam clip and review it. Blue used to be grayish with RCCC cameras.
I asked this before on this thread on the day my car came back from service, but I'm still not convinced the front camera looks different. Can you tell the difference? Sorry I didn't have any thing latest than 10/19/2020 saved on the USB stick for comparison. But the sky color looked same to me or may be I'm color blind 😂
front_cam_diff.jpg

If anyone has a before/after images that would be really helpful for me and others getting their cameras replaced. 🙏

Last edited:
I asked this before on this thread on the day my car came back from service, but I'm still not convinced the front camera looks different. Can you tell the difference? Sorry I didn't have any thing latest than 10/19/2020 saved on the USB stick for comparison. But the sky color looked same to me or may be I'm color blind 😂
View attachment 760128
Those look the same…

But my car build is 04/2017 and I did get the invite for camera upgrade, surely Tesla's process is not that ****ed! 😂
Have you owned it since it was new? The cameras have never been replaced for any reason? How do the colors compare between the front camera & the side repeaters on the same day with the same weather conditions? Because a sunny day affects quite a bit how the cameras show compared to a cloudy day.

Can you tell the difference?
The top picture has blue sky, yellow signs, green leaves so probably RCCB. The bottom picture has tealish sky, grayish leaves and the Honda towards the right is no longer blue so probably RCCC.

Looks like you have a phone and TeslaCam set up, so you can load Colour test screen and put it in front of each camera.

Have you owned it since it was new? The cameras have never been replaced for any reason? How do the colors compare between the front camera & the side repeaters on the same day with the same weather conditions? Because a sunny day affects quite a bit how the cameras show compared to a cloudy day.
Have you owned it since it was new?
Yes

The cameras have never been replaced for any reason?
I did get the FSD + MCU2 upgrade in june 2020 but I'm pretty sure I remember them telling no camera upgrades were needed or done back then.

Also something interesting I found. The above diff was actually not apples to apples, I was looking at dash cam vs sentry. I went back and checked again for previous dash cam videos and it does seem like now its more bluish. Which makes me think sentry recording must be doing some sorts of post processing.

1643152633436.png

View attachment 760128

If anyone has a before/after images that would be really helpful for me and others getting their cameras replaced. 🙏
Blue painters tape seems to be a good tell

Attachments

• 1E2F27E7-0734-4564-AC96-7A16708B6B79.jpeg
    1E2F27E7-0734-4564-AC96-7A16708B6B79.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 46
View attachment 760128

Novelty ... found a cool online color analyzer: Image Color Summarizer - RGB and HSV Image Statistics

front_cam_diff 2022 output
Yafi8yI.jpg

front_cam_diff 2020 output
gyT33bX.jpg

Here are a few stills from my old RCCC front cam (These were taken on a sunny day):
RCCC1.png

RCCC2.png

RCCC3.png

And here are a few stills from my new RCCB front cam (These were from a rainy / overcast day):
RCCB1.png

RCCB2.png

RCCB3.png

I agree that they actually both look pretty similar to me. The biggest difference I notice is that the yellows are more true yellows on the new RCCB cameras, and were much more orange on the old RCCC ones.

I agree that they actually both look pretty similar to me. The biggest difference I notice is that the yellows are more true yellows on the new RCCB cameras, and were much more orange on the old RCCC ones.
And this is why I believe the change was needed. With RCCC cameras the car had trouble discerning a yellow light from a red light. That is a pretty important difference in driving. With RCCB it should do much better with determining when a light is yellow vs red.

BTW I had been waiting for my camera install invitation and had not received one.

Scheduled a recall appointment and asked if we could do the camera update at the same time.

They said “sure”. This is in Arizona. Install took 6 hours and part number for front camera looked correct.

We just signed up for Tesla insurance, which reset our safety score. So, monitored driving is a way of life now. I rely pretty heavily on autopilot to maintain my score.

I just had the cameras installed in my 2017 S. Driving on the highway I had many phantom breaking episodes. Haven’t seen it like this in quite some time. Has anyone else experienced this going from the old to new cameras?
What kind of highway? We have not had issues, but we don't drive two lane highways very often & that's where most ppl report phantom braking issues.
BTW I had been waiting for my camera install invitation and had not received one.

Scheduled a recall appointment and asked if we could do the camera update at the same time.

They said “sure”. This is in Arizona. Install took 6 hours and part number for front camera looked correct.

We just signed up for Tesla insurance, which reset our safety score. So, monitored driving is a way of life now. I rely pretty heavily on autopilot to maintain my score.
Are the rates significantly lower than what you were paying before?

What kind of highway? We have not had issues, but we don't drive two lane highways very often & that's where most ppl report phantom braking issues.

Are the rates significantly lower than what you were paying before?
Highway 101 in Phoenix. 3-4 lanes each way with a fair amount of traffic.

About the same price as we were paying with AllState with a score of 90, but a pretty dramatic discount for a 99-100 score - 40% discount.