Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can definitely see more blue and more yellow when compared side by side. Looks like they have been replaced with correct cameras.
RCCB is still not full color like the rear camera.
Just to clarify, both pictures are of the cameras after the upgrade. They are of the left vs right because I wasn’t certain that one of them was not the right part.

Just to clarify, both pictures are of the cameras after the upgrade. They are of the left vs right because I wasn’t certain that one of them was not the right part.
I thought it was before and after... in that case it would appear to me the right side (passenger side) is good but left (driver side) is not.
But there isn't a lot of color in those pictures.
It would help if you there is something green, yellow and blue in the image for better comparison.

Yes, if you see any hint of blue or green you have RCCB.

It will probably still be a while before more new beta invites are sent so patience is necessary again
You’ve been saying that for a month since we got our RCCB cameras a few days after the 10.8 rollout blessed some RCCC converted cars with FSD Beta. Our patience with Tesla is wearing very thin.

Reactions: pilotSteve
And all this anguish and run-arounds and scrambling and unhappy customers all because five (?) (or maybe more?) years ago, with no rational reasoning behind them, Tesla decided to announce that every one of its cars had all the necessary hardware to operate as a robotaxi with no driver in the car, or to be summoned, empty, from NYC to Los Angeles; all it needed was software that did not exist, that nobody was sure how to create, so that no rational mind could really be sure what hardware it would require. Yet Elon's mouth, unconnected to his brain, kept saying it.

(Note that he didn't say "We'll update your car as needed." He said "Your car has all the needed hardware."

You’ve been saying that for a month since we got our RCCB cameras a few days after the 10.8 rollout blessed some RCCC converted cars with FSD Beta. Our patience with Tesla is wearing very thin.

Well what would you like me to say? “Nice cameras now go get f**ked”?

I’m just trying to be a little positive here.

To me it looks like the top right and bottom left pictures are RCCB (driver side camera).

The other two pictures (passenger side) look like the old cameras.

What part numbers are listed on your invoice?
Maybe I'm color blind but I disagree, but that's why it would help to look at a side by side picture of the same exact thing with some color in it.

I took my side-by-side photo comparisons, where it is clearly obvious which one is the RCCB, and then I took the blue tarp, and over imposed it on his pictures, and took the street sign and over imposed that on my pictures.

When I do that, I can see how the yellow sign looks like the yellow on my left picture, and not like the yellow on my right picture.
Same with the tarp. The good blue tarp to me looks like the blue sky in the left picture. And the tarp that looks greenish from the RCCC camera looks more like the sky on the right picture.

If you can, take some screenshots of the same exact thing, turned the car around, so that you can compare the same image.

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 79
Although slightly off topic, I am hoping someone might be able to help with a camera retrofit.

I took my 12/2016 MS (with FSD) in for the camera replacement this past Monday after having it postponed 4 times since December. Originally they were saying a couple of hours but after 7 they gave me a loaner due to an "update issue". At 2PM the next day they said it was finished and I could pick it up. But as soon as I left I noticed not only didn't the camera calibration and cruise not work, neither did the NAV - it showed it was still at the SC. They said to give it some time but after an hour of driving, nothing changed, still showing it back at the SC. After numerous reboots (scroll wheels, Power Off) I was asked to bring it back Saturday and after 3 more hours of waiting they came in to say "our tests show your GPS antenna is bad and we didn't touch it" (didn't even explain why, after 200 miles of driving, the camera calibration was still not working). So they kept the car because they had to remove the rear window to fix it and sent me home again in another loaner.

Does anyone here know if the GPS get plugged into the same computer the cameras do and if so, could they have incorrectly plugged the GPS into the wrong connector and either damaged or shorted it out? And does the NAV have to work for camera calibration? I can't believe that my antenna just 'happened to fail' at the exact same time they had it (since it worked fine when I brought it in) and fear they are going to charge me for this work. And usually an antenna is nothing more than a passive specific-length wire, so it is hard to believe it went 'bad' (unless it has an pre-amp to boost signal strength).

Thanks for any information or suggestions on how to approach this potentially expensive issue.

Reactions: scarelli
Although slightly off topic, I am hoping someone might be able to help with a camera retrofit.

I took my 12/2016 MS (with FSD) in for the camera replacement this past Monday after having it postponed 4 times since December. Originally they were saying a couple of hours but after 7 they gave me a loaner due to an "update issue". At 2PM the next day they said it was finished and I could pick it up. But as soon as I left I noticed not only didn't the camera calibration and cruise not work, neither did the NAV - it showed it was still at the SC. They said to give it some time but after an hour of driving, nothing changed, still showing it back at the SC. After numerous reboots (scroll wheels, Power Off) I was asked to bring it back Saturday and after 3 more hours of waiting they came in to say "our tests show your GPS antenna is bad and we didn't touch it" (didn't even explain why, after 200 miles of driving, the camera calibration was still not working). So they kept the car because they had to remove the rear window to fix it and sent me home again in another loaner.

Does anyone here know if the GPS get plugged into the same computer the cameras do and if so, could they have incorrectly plugged the GPS into the wrong connector and either damaged or shorted it out? And does the NAV have to work for camera calibration? I can't believe that my antenna just 'happened to fail' at the exact same time they had it (since it worked fine when I brought it in) and fear they are going to charge me for this work. And usually an antenna is nothing more than a passive specific-length wire, so it is hard to believe it went 'bad' (unless it has an pre-amp to boost signal strength).

Thanks for any information or suggestions on how to approach this potentially expensive issue.
Exact same thing happened to mine when I had the cameras upgraded. They said it was a firmware issue and had it fixed in about an hour.

Cameras have nothing to do with GPS, probably a quibble on the software reinstall to recognize the parts. They will probably just reinstall the firmware again and it should fix it. Idk why they are replacing the GPS antenna besides for the sake of throwing parts at an untroubleshot issue.

Your GPS and GPS antenna are fine. They just need to change the autopilotcameratype gateway config back to 1 (RCCC) and everything will start working again. They can/should fix this remotely for you. Doesn’t even need a redeploy.

(Sounds like they tried to change the gateway config for autopilotcameratype to 2 (RCCB) after they retrofitted the new cameras, which breaks things on our cars).

While you’d think that’s correct after the retrofit, it’s actually not (due to some poor coding on the autopilot computer). They should leave it at 1 (RCCC) even with the new cameras installed. See the post I quoted below for some more details on why).

I was hoping they fixed this in recent FW, but I guess not? What version is your car on?

Last edited:
Reactions: Shateam
Nope, due to Tesla leaving my car in that state I've thoroughly tested that scenario at this point. Setting that field alone does not get you in the beta. And driving for a few days with a non-functional AP is annoying (mostly because GPS doesn't work, screen auto brightness doesn't work...)

With that said, I finally did some more digging into the APE firmware and can 100% confirm now that Tesla does NOT recognize our cars with updated cameras (IE, HW3 + RCCB Cameras + "old" EPAS + Bosch radar) as a valid config. And yes, they check the radar type, the EPAS type, AND the camera type to validate the config.. and if it comes back invalid it just infinite loops... literally while true 🤦‍♂️)

It's a 5 minute fix to a script in the APE firmware called "detect-vehicle-config", but... they haven't included it any of the APE fw versions I've been able to take look at so far.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve

When did you have the work done? I’m assuming you used the Clarkston SC? They told me I was the 2nd camera replacement they had done. And that was on Feb 1. They seemed to struggle with mine too.

Reactions: outdoors
Your GPS and GPS antenna are fine. They just need to change the autopilotcameratype gateway config back to 1 (RCCC) and everything will start working again. They can/should fix this remotely for you. Doesn’t even need a redeploy.

(Sounds like they tried to change the gateway config for autopilotcameratype to 2 (RCCB) after they retrofitted the new cameras, which breaks things on our cars).

While you’d think that’s correct after the retrofit, it’s actually not (due to some poor coding on the autopilot computer). They should leave it at 1 (RCCC) even with the new cameras installed. See the post I quoted below for some more details on why).

I was hoping they fixed this in recent FW, but I guess not? What version is your car on?

Hello, and thank you for the detailed information. What worries me is they took the car right to the body shop on Saturday and from my app I could see the rear hatch open for a long time. How am I going to prove that it wasn't a bad GPS antenna as they have stated?

I was on 2022.4, and had that update a few days before I took it in for service the first time (1/31/22).

I do have my car connected to TezLab, and I took a screenshot showing that on Jan 31st it showed me driving from Midland to Clarkson. Hopefully that would be proof that my GPS WAS working before they did whatever they did. It was the next day (and for multiple days afterward) that it was 'at the SC' despite I was back home.

I do see they are charging it up this morning, and TezLab is saying it is being charged, but I have not seen any miles being driven.

Cameras have nothing to do with GPS, probably a quibble on the software reinstall to recognize the parts. They will probably just reinstall the firmware again and it should fix it. Idk why they are replacing the GPS antenna besides for the sake of throwing parts at an untroubleshot issue.
But the concerning issue is my car is out of warranty, so any parts they 'throw at it' might want them to charge me for :-(