Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ATT cellular changes… 🤔 I wonder if they are increasing charges or if they will kick us early adopters out of premium connectivity plans… hopefully they can’t since it’s on our contracts… but who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️
It's not that sinister.
AT&T is killing off a bunch of 3G support on the date mentioned.

Re-configuring the car's cellular modem to avoid said frequencies is likely part of the mentioned 2022.4+ Tesla update.
I received this same message on my 2017 X (with MCU2 upgrade) tonight. I plan to ride it out past Feb 22 (I anticipate this car will remain in LTE zones for the next few weeks) & stay on the 2021 branch "just in case" FSD fairy is biased.

(some people don't believe in FSD fairy .... some people say "she's not real" ......but I'll keep making sacrifices to the deity of SafetyScore in hopes she deems me worthy & then visits my garage overnight)

Last edited:
It's not that sinister.

Re-configuring the car's cellular modem to avoid said frequencies is likely part of the mentioned 2022.4+ Tesla update.
I received this same message on my 2017 X (with MCU2 upgrade) tonight. I plan to ride it out past Feb 22 (I anticipate this car will remain in LTE zones for the next few weeks) & stay on the 2021 branch "just in case" FSD fairy is biased.

(some people don't believe in FSD fairy .... some people say "she's not real" ......but I'll keep making sacrifices to the deity of SafetyScore in hopes she deems me worthy & then visits my garage overnight)
in fairies theres hope!

What’s the trick to reset Safety Score? I tried to opt out and opt back. Didn’t reset the score in the app. Do I need opt out, drive some miles and then opt in? It also seems like Tesla retroactively adjusted my score and FCW definition changed or something. I was 100 today morning now I checked my yesterday’s commute was adjusted to 88 and todays to 84 🙄. Wouldn’t it be ironic if they sent new invites to FSD and I won’t get it because my score is now 97 🤣🤣

Re-configuring the car's cellular modem to avoid said frequencies is likely part of the mentioned 2022.4+ Tesla update
We just received this message for a vehicle with FSD Beta 10.8.1:

This LTE-equipped vehicle requires a software update to at least 2021.44.30.21 in order to maintain compatibility with AT&T cellular network changes taking place on February 22, 2022. If not updated, this vehicle may no longer be compatible with receiving over-the-air software updates, maps and navigation features, accessing the Tesla Mobile App & associated features, utilizing voice commands, receiving streaming media content, or other connectivity dependent features over cellular data. Features will remain accessible over Wi Fi. Please install the available software release. If you are persistently experiencing software update installation failures, please schedule a service appointment via Tesla Mobile App.​
Might be the reason for the extra 10.10.2 dot release and delay of updates/additions.

It's not that sinister.

Don't tell me Tesla updates carrier settings as part of their base software. That's the sort of thing that should be pulled every time it changes, immediately, on its own. Either way, if you're in 3G-only territory, having it try to find nonexistent towers might p*** off AT&T, but it won't change your connectivity, because the towers aren't there in that band.

And the worst-case scenario for talking to LTE should be that it won't see new towers whose downlink is solely in bands that AT&T didn't previously configure for LTE, and if the tower asks for a band that it isn't expecting, the radio might refuse, but I would expect that to be handled in the same way as a device that doesn't support a band because of hardware limitations, i.e. the tower will assign a different band. So support might be degraded a bit, and you might have a higher rate of handover failures, but it shouldn't stop working, unless I'm misunderstanding something about the way LTE handshakes work. And if you aren't dealing with voice calls, a handover delay probably isn't a critical failure anyway.

So why is this update necessary again?

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve