Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming up on the 5 month anniversary of the "button" and the SS mess they've implemented. There's still no doubt in my mind, prior to the release of requesting beta, Tesla knew about this particular issue with the cameras. The fact they have waited this long to address it, tells you what they think of us as a customer. If you want to feel some love, place an order for a new vehicle, they'll call you more than 5 times a day.
yea I've had enough of this BS too. Back to bullock-carts next!

Does anyone else think the safety score has been easier to maintain lately? I've had quite a few instances recently that I think would have triggered an FCW, but didn't.
I thought so too and got cocky. Then over the weekend, my scores were retro-actively modified, I kid you not. I check SS everyday before going to bed and on Friday night it was 100 and Saturday morning I'd 88 for Thursday and 89 for Friday with 2 FCW. So I suspect either they had choked up telemetry somewhere or they compute FCW out of phase somehow. I ended up opting out and back in.

Yes, FSD beta cars also have to emergency update due to ATT sunsetting 3G tomorrow. Other car manufacturers have been notifying owners of updates needed (not just Tesla). I feel bad for other car manufacturers that can’t upgrade over WiFi or don’t have 4G radios.

Not sure if this thread helps: 2022.4 required to maintain AT&T compatibility
What I don't understand is what these manufacturers screwed up that necessitates a firmware update to keep LTE working. The only thing I can imagine is that somebody incorrectly configured their baseband with a voice-centric 3G/LTE setup (like an old LTE telephone without VoLTE support). In that configuration, if a 3G signal is missing, the car won't connect to LTE towers, because its primary function is to connect to 3G service for voice.

But that's a legacy configuration that shouldn't have even been used in new phones after about 2013 or so. And Tesla should never have used a voice-centric configuration for their cellular radio in the first place, much less in 2015, when Tesla first switched to LTE.

So I'm really scratching my head. The 3G sunset should have been an absolute no-op for data-only devices like the Tesla. If it wasn't, it means somebody screwed something up. Badly.

I guess this could be caused by that weird behavior where AT&T apparently used to allow devices to be configured for voice-centric operation with VoLTE to connect even if they had a data-only subscription, but if so, that means that this is basically just a glorified contract dispute between AT&T and Tesla that AT&T could have fixed with a single bit flip in the configuration on those accounts just as easily. 😕

Does anyone else think the safety score has been easier to maintain lately? I've had quite a few instances recently that I think would have triggered an FCW, but didn't.
I’ve been surprised as some drives where I expected to have unsafe following but didn’t. It could be related to the supposed grace period we get after disengaging AP.
Yes, I suspect the same. On one trip I expect it will be a disaster as I have to disengage AP and ended up F2C several times but it didn't happen.
The blip we did have with Safety Score was yesterday, my wife drove 4 trips, but only 2 are shown in the safety score & the total miles for yesterday is only the mileage of the 2 recorded trips. Did anyone else have things missed yesterday? The car didn’t have connectivity issues yesterday. And it downloaded 2022.4.5.3 overnight.
I thought so too and got cocky. Then over the weekend, my scores were retro-actively modified, I kid you not. I check SS everyday before going to bed and on Friday night it was 100 and Saturday morning I'd 88 for Thursday and 89 for Friday with 2 FCW. So I suspect either they had choked up telemetry somewhere or they compute FCW out of phase somehow. I ended up opting out and back in.
That stinks! I just went back & checked the drives from Saturday where I expected less than perfect results & was surprised to see 100 but nothing has changed for us.

What I don't understand is what these manufacturers screwed up that necessitates a firmware update to keep LTE working. The only thing I can imagine is that somebody incorrectly configured their baseband with a voice-centric 3G/LTE setup (like an old LTE telephone without VoLTE support). In that configuration, if a 3G signal is missing, the car won't connect to LTE towers, because its primary function is to connect to 3G service for voice.

But that's a legacy configuration that shouldn't have even been used in new phones after about 2013 or so. And Tesla should never have used a voice-centric configuration for their cellular radio in the first place, much less in 2015, when Tesla first switched to LTE.

So I'm really scratching my head. The 3G sunset should have been an absolute no-op for data-only devices like the Tesla. If it wasn't, it means somebody screwed something up. Badly.

I guess this could be caused by that weird behavior where AT&T apparently used to allow devices to be configured for voice-centric operation with VoLTE to connect even if they had a data-only subscription, but if so, that means that this is basically just a glorified contract dispute between AT&T and Tesla that AT&T could have fixed with a single bit flip in the configuration on those accounts just as easily. 😕
That’s exactly what the update is.. it’s a modem firmware/baseband update to make the modems “data centric”.

I’ve been surprised as some drives where I expected to have unsafe following but didn’t. It could be related to the supposed grace period we get after disengaging AP.

The blip we did have with Safety Score was yesterday, my wife drove 4 trips, but only 2 are shown in the safety score & the total miles for yesterday is only the mileage of the 2 recorded trips. Did anyone else have things missed yesterday? The car didn’t have connectivity issues yesterday. And it downloaded 2022.4.5.3 overnight.

That stinks! I just went back & checked the drives from Saturday where I expected less than perfect results & was surprised to see 100 but nothing has changed for us.
My commute to work wasn't recorded because I parked in a part of the garage that usually lacks connectivity. I try to park near the entrance so I can preheat my car remotely, but someone beat me to my spot. There's only a few acceptable Tesla parking spots. No door dings yet after five years.

I've been able to maintain a 98 for last month or so by using TACC and AP as much as possible. Also I think maybe the last couple of updates have made the safety score easier to maintain.

Correct me if I am wrong but I see one new car admitted to the FSD beta who came from a non beta build. It was from a 2021 branch. This is the first evidence I have seen. Who knows the person could of been putting off updates for a while? Very old build. July time frame. What is also strange is this build would of never had to go through the safety score program. Went straight to Beta.
1645641368005.png

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but I see one new car admitted to the FSD beta who came from a non beta build. It was from a 2021 branch. This is the first evidence I have seen. Who knows the person could of been putting off updates for a while? Very old build. July time frame. What is also strange is this build would of never had to go through the safety score program. Went straight to Beta.
View attachment 772947
Most likely case is that they just re-enabled publicly sharing their version info (or had teslafi disabled or setup with a bad token).

I wouldn’t read too much into it until we see some additional examples.

My commute to work wasn't recorded because I parked in a part of the garage that usually lacks connectivity.
Hmmmm. That seems to imply that if I can get my car "offline" before exiting the vehicle, maybe it would not record that drive? If it can't "phone home" immediately when you get out of the car, it gives up? Very poor programming if true but that's what we expect from Tesla these days. They are certainly not known for quality software at *any* level.

Similar to how the old two-finger reboot used to work? Maybe I could setup a home network on my access point that does not have Internet connectivity - if I want to erase that drive, connect to that AP before getting out of the car? The car will connect to the router (technically, connected so 4g will turn off) but won't go anywhere.

Might be worth a try and easy to do.

Hmmmm. That seems to imply that if I can get my car "offline" before exiting the vehicle, maybe it would not record that drive? If it can't "phone home" immediately when you get out of the car, it gives up? Very poor programming if true but that's what we expect from Tesla these days. They are certainly not known for quality software at *any* level.

Similar to how the old two-finger reboot used to work? Maybe I could setup a home network on my access point that does not have Internet connectivity - if I want to erase that drive, connect to that AP before getting out of the car? The car will connect to the router (technically, connected so 4g will turn off) but won't go anywhere.

I would expect the detail to be cached in the car and eventually transmitted back to Tesla when connectivity is restored.

But looking forward to seeing the results of your experiment.

Interesting test. Would like to hear the results. I also had a strange thing happen over the weekend. I took a 12 mile drive to my airplane hangar got out of car was there for a few hours, drove home but only got one leg on my safety score. Could it of been I did not have a signal for some reason when I got out of the car and that drive got erased?

Last edited:
I wouldn't know since I have now driven over 6,000 miles in the last 3 months without a single FCW. If it is better, I have no idea, but sounds like it might help some people.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl and FlyF4
FWIW, I also believe the car may be able to cache several drives pending upload to the servers where the scores are stored. There was an issue with the app and servers a few months back to where nobody could even use the app to unlock the car, activate climate, etc. I remember an entire day's worth of driving didn't get captured, but the next 2 days were logged without issue. On the 4th day, I noticed my score was unexpectedly higher, and upon further inspection, saw that the one day that was originally missed (200 miles over 9 "trips") were magically in the app.

Reactions: tezlaMXUR17&24
FWIW, I also believe the car may be able to cache several drives pending upload to the servers where the scores are stored. There was an issue with the app and servers a few months back to where nobody could even use the app to unlock the car, activate climate, etc. I remember an entire day's worth of driving didn't get captured, but the next 2 days were logged without issue. On the 4th day, I noticed my score was unexpectedly higher, and upon further inspection, saw that the one day that was originally missed (200 miles over 9 "trips") were magically in the app.
Hmmm that’s the opposite of what we’ve found when the Tesla API has been down. There was a day back in November or early December where my wife had some hard braking early in the day. The API then went down & because it was down for about 12 hours none of the driving the rest of the day was counted for the safety score to reduce the total hard braking for the day to not impact our score. All those trips were lost.

I have a request from everyone.
Can everyone please send the following email (or something similar along those lines, feel free to modify) to [email protected] ?

I know, I know, most likely they won't reply, but it costs nothing... and I already typed it for you... and there's a remote possibility that one of us will get a reply.

I suggest sending it from your Tesla email account and include your VIN #
Hello FSD Beta Team,

Since the recent wide release of 10.10.2 I noticed that no new FSD beta tester has been added.

I am on the latest firmware (2022.4.5.x) while FSD beta is currently on 2021.44.30.21

Would we have to wait for FSD to be on the 2022 branch, (for anyone on the latest firmware to be added) or can/will the 2021 branch FSD be pushed to cars that are on the 2022.4.x branch?

Thank you.
Regards,

I have a request from everyone.
Can everyone please send the following email (or something similar along those lines, feel free to modify) to [email protected] ?

I know, I know, most likely they won't reply, but it costs nothing... and I already typed it for you... and there's a remote possibility that one of us will get a reply.

I suggest sending it from your Tesla email account and include your VIN #
Hello FSD Beta Team,

Since the recent wide release of 10.10.2 I noticed that no new FSD beta tester has been added.

I am on the latest firmware (2022.4.5.x) while FSD beta is currently on 2021.44.30.21

Would we have to wait for FSD to be on the 2022 branch, (for anyone on the latest firmware to be added) or can/will the 2021 branch FSD be pushed to cars that are on the 2022.4.x branch?

Thank you.
Regards,
Can you edit that to include when MCU1 owners might get FSD Beta Invites? I'm too lazy and have lost what little fight I had left. 😅

I'm too lazy and have lost what little fight I had left. 😅
What if the lawyers offered you $199 for each month since you purchased FSD (according to another 2017 owner who's entertaining lead plaintiff (class rep), when Tesla put an actual time-value price on FSD it apparently became "game on").....

Elon's prediction that FSD-equipped cars would actually _make_ money for their owners may yet come to pass.
(199/mo since 2017 is already >$12K current purchase price of FSD .... 🤣)

me: I'll continue making SSacrifices to FSD-fairy.

Last edited: