Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, yours are assumptions based on evidence

....I do not think that word means what you think it means.

You are literally speculating about how Tesla rolls out FSD

No, I'm citing the actual facts known about how they roll out it.

And citing the actual words they use in enrollment screen, the button screen and elsewhere.

Plus tossing in some basic first principles thinking and some well known basics on fundamental software testing and validation.... (like why you don't want too many testers in general and especially why don't want too narrow a set of testers)

Whereas the other side of the debate seems to be based their entire argument on.... temper tantrums.

Please englihten us as to when anyone from Tesla ever said that they had enough testers in California

Here's one clue. Specifically about the bay area. You know, like I told you earlier.

In machine leaning if you find you are overfit, you need to expand your training set with new, clean, data.

Or in this case, lots and lots of new clean data from cars not in the bay area

Again, there's already a lot of known info on all these topics, but some folks here seem much more interested in being angry than informed.

Hopefully not all of them.

Last edited:
Damn! Updated to 2022.4.5.18 this morning and now got another update notification - could not be anything but for 2022.8.2.
I don't connect my car to home wifi but to office wifi. Before going to work tomorrow I'm going to "forget" office wifi so the car has no WiFi to connect to. Hoping to "sit out" this and future rollouts... From what I read, FSD is installed even over cellular data, without WiFi.
Not sure if my feeble shenanigans even remotely possible to yield anything but I'll try anyway

Are you also an effected owner or just here to say your piece and assert some power?…
I don’t have to own FSD to be an impartial moderator. But by coincidence I own FSD on a legacy vehicle that isn’t in the beta. I think you’ll find I rarely intervene on the forum and that most moderators would have moved your post to snippiness and/or disciplined you for your attack.
…My comments on my thread are because someone is fighting everything and providing nothing helpful besides noise and further frustration to those who have participated in this thread since page 1…
I found the explanation as to why you might not be getting into the beta and why you getting into it might not be in the best interest of everyone waiting for FSD articulately written and well stated. Both times. Personally, I wouldn’t go for a third.

Last edited:
I don’t have to own FSD to be an impartial moderator. But by coincidence I own FSD on a legacy vehicle that isn’t in the beta. I think you’ll find I rarely intervene on the forum and that most moderators would have moved your post to snippiness and/or disciplined you for your attack.

I found the explanation as to why you might not be getting into the beta and why you getting into it might not be in the best interest of everyone waiting for FSD articulately written and well stated. Both times. Personally, I wouldn’t go for a third.

If asking someone to stop causing trouble in a thread they have no business in is an attack then I want no part of these forums.

The same info he is spewing in novels was also already spewed in novels by another Model 3 owner who already had FSD Beta around page 80 or 110 or something. Which concluded in the user not posting anymore because it wasn’t helpful and just caused legacy owners turmoil.

Everyone who has beta is so quick to tell us to just relax and not be upset that we don’t have it yet but they’ll never know the stress of driving with safety score for 6 months when we were promised a chance at beta in October 2021 like everyone else just to have the goalpost moved.

This forum is becoming miserable with the numerous trolls like (moderator edit) Why don’t the mods just ban their accounts if they aren’t adding to the conversation and causing turmoil for everyone else?
Moderators don’t exist to shield a group with a narrow viewpoint from those with opposing views. But moderators do exist to prevent personal attacks like name calling. See how that worked?

Again, there's already a lot of known info on all these topics, but some folks here seem much more interested in being angry than informed.

See, great example of this in the very post I'm quoting here.

He asks for evidence of a specific claim I made being based on anything from Tesla.

I provide evidence direct from Elon Musk supporting that specific claim.

He gives the post with exactly what he asked for a disagree.

To him, being angry > being informed. I'd bet money he'll give this one a disagree for pointing it out too.

Again, hopefully this isn't everyone's take on it.

If it's not, here's another relevant bit of info on managing expectations-

That's from over a year ago, setting some expectations about how widely the program would expand in several future versions.

8.2, a week later, expanded the program by 1000 people (still only like 2000 at the time)

The 8.3 mentioned there ended up not going out at all, being replaced by 9.0, and would be 20,000 people per that tweet (10x)

We know by end of Jan 2022 they had again tripled that to ~60,000 on the 10.x branch- and all in the US.

Now, what do we know SINCE then?

We know they appear to have virtually ceased rollouts to brand new US users for the moment.... but they are pushing now to Canadian users for the first time.

Again this is consistent with Tesla wanting new data- rather than just increasing the volume of data for areas they already have good training sets for.

Additionally, as noted elsewhere, the updates even for existing fleet are different in recent months-- instead of almost the entire test fleet getting wide rollout of new versions within a few days they seem to be doing much smaller and slower rollouts and even some split testing. That's a fact we can observe from Teslafi data.

The majority of the FSDBeta fleet is now running a two versions old release version

Folks still on 10.10.2 outnumber those who on 10.11 roughly 9:1.

Folks still on 10.10.2 outnumber those who have gotten 10.11.1 almost 5:1

We know Tesla has recently been no longer just tweeking existing systems with a combo of "updated perception NNs" and "update conventional planning and execution code"-- but actually increasingly creating new NNs to move more of the whole stack from conventional code to NNs.... which means results will tend to be less predictable.... and thus you want to roll out things like that slower, and to smaller test groups. Potentially even DIFFERENT version to different sections of your test fleet.

Which- hey- that's exactly how the actual rollouts are going

In fact Green observed there's now a production and an experimental stack in the released firmwares- meaning Tesla could actually swap on the fly without a firmware update between 2 sets of code on the same car- adding even MORE flexibility to do A/B testing of newer more black-box type code.

All of which means they have ways of "expanding" the test fleet now without even needing to further add cars.

Bear in mind from a developer and company perspective the goal of the FSDBeta program could be described as:

To gather data and feedback from the minimum number of people needed to maximize progress of development.

"1 more dude in the bay area" adds nothing to the program.

While "people north of the border" does.

Why the minimum number to maximize progress? 3 reasons:

1) Limit signal to noise ratio of feedback
2) Limit staffing needed to handle that feedback
3) Limit the risk of someone ignoring the rules so badly they have an accident- which not only hurts the company in obvious and immediate ways, but might hurt them long term in broader more regulatory ones.

That minimum number will change over time.

It grew a lot in 2021.

It's growing far slower in 2022, and that is not likely to change unless you believe they're going to get regulators in the EU on-board anytime soon (and why that's super unlikely is a whole other thread).

All that said- I'm going to also give you an idea about when I think we'd be most likely to see any significant bump in NEW US invites... and this IS the one speculative (though informed by the "what we know" and "how testing generally works" stuff above).

V11.

Because up to now, they've only needed data on city streets driving.

And based on the near stop of new invites it appears they had reached their "minimum needed to maximize progress" number in the US.

But the folks in that cohort who largely do city streets driving will not be significant contributors to the data pool for highway driving. Which is what V11 is supposed to bring into the beta.

Thus they may decide they need to add a significant # of new folks- folks who the data they already HAVE thanks to them opting in for data collection via the button- tells them drive mostly highway miles.

So if anybody wants to try and stick out the safety score thing, IMHO trying to put up a fair % of highway driving is probably not a bad idea to increase your odds.

Anyway- hopefully the above finds at least few folks more interested in facts than emotion, and maybe provides them a bit deeper understanding into what might be going on beyond TESLA HATES LEGACY OWNERS conspiracies.

Last edited:
Just got the 2022.8.2 notification. I think that’s gonna be it for me and gonna opt-out of the Beta request queue. 6 months of games with the SS is enough for me. I’m going to go back to enjoy driving my car. I don’t know that I’ll keep my P100D much longer and I wish I knew then what I know now: that paying $5,000 for Enhanced Autopilot and another $3,000 for FSD Capability would not be worth it. It wasn’t worth it in 2017, and it’s certainly not worth it now.

I know some of this forum think that we’re reacting emotionally when we should be more rational and understanding. Well it’s totally emotional for me, I know it’s not the final product (and therefore we’re not “entitled to anything”) but I’ve been wanting a taste of this since 2017 and seeing all these M3’s and MY’s just getting it after subscribing to FSD for a few days just grinds my gears. Not to mention that without all the noise the folks on this thread made, we likely would not have gotten camera update acknowledgement. I don’t know if my fully loaded Model X P100D (with Ludicrous of course) contributed to saving the company during those dark times, but damn if I didn’t expect Tesla to show some goodwill to the early adopters and supporters that bought FSD. Shame on me I guess.

Damn! Updated to 2022.4.5.18 this morning and now got another update notification - could not be anything but for 2022.8.2.
I don't connect my car to home wifi but to office wifi. Before going to work tomorrow I'm going to "forget" office wifi so the car has no WiFi to connect to. Hoping to "sit out" this and future rollouts... From what I read, FSD is installed even over cellular data, without WiFi.
Not sure if my feeble shenanigans even remotely possible to yield anything but I'll try anyway
Aight, my car is "off the Wi-Fi grid" - no Wi-Fi access. I still have "Software Update connect to Wi-Fi to download" notification for 2020.8.2 but not downloading it, going to try to stay on 2022.4.5.18 as long as I can in hope to get invited to the next FSD release

It goes to whomever Tesla believes will best help provide the data and feedback needed to improve the software enough to eventually do a general public release to everyone.
I know a guy who thinks the steering wheel detects your body temperature to determine if your hands are on the wheel. He has FSD Beta... Great feedback and data there.

I think you meant to say, Tesla gives it out to the cars that they know they don't have to spend $$$ on. Aka, cameras and branched software for MCU1.

I know a guy who thinks the steering wheel detects your body temperature to determine if your hands are on the wheel. He has FSD Beta... Great feedback and data there.

Can you tell me what data you imagine Tesla needs that that misunderstanding would have any negative impact on?

in contrast his physical location, the type of roads or driving he does, the times of day he tends to drive, or a slew of other factors might actually be relevant and useful to Tesla, none of which require him to have any understanding of the driver monitoring system at all.

Not to mention, I already explained there's potentially a benefit to having testers who don't understand the driver monitoring system--- because it gives you a group against which to test different methods of driver monitoring to see what will work for exactly those type of people who will for sure be among those getting a production version some day

(moderator edit)

I think you meant to say, Tesla gives it out to the cars that they know they don't have to spend $$$ on.

Yup, confirmed.

we know -for sure- Tesla has spent money upgrading peoples cameras (and continues to do so- because the final production release will require them regardless of the beta invites)

We know -for sure- Tesla has included a non-zero # of those people in the beta.

it's a small % so far, but then it's a small percentage of all owners in the beta.

So your claim is factually wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
we know -for sure- Tesla has spent money upgrading peoples cameras (and continues to do so- because the final production release will require them regardless of the beta invites)

it's a small % so far, but then it's a small percentage of all owners in the beta.

MCU1...I'll see myself out.

I don't live in CA, I have not been invited to get camera upgrades and I had a SS of 99 for weeks before the "legacy owners need camera upgrades" debacle. You aren't wrong that Tesla likely doesn't need more testers but you have to understand that I don't care as Tesla said early adopters would be invited to the early access program. Well I was not invited and most were not.

I don't live in CA, I have not been invited to get camera upgrades and I had a SS of 99 for weeks before the "legacy owners need camera upgrades" debacle. You aren't wrong that Tesla likely doesn't need more testers but you have to understand that I don't care as Tesla said early adopters would be invited to the early access program. Well I was not invited and most were not.

FWIW I agree with you that they broke that promise (I was among the group they made it to BTW, having bought FSD before the 3/19 changeover)

That said- part of the reason is they entirely changed their testing system with FSDBeta.

EAP (early access program) used to be folks who got earlier access to what was intended to be wide-release software, usually just a little bit early.... which is NOT what FSDBeta is. To my knowledge (and based on email replies a few folks posted about from Tesla themselves) that program was suspended some time ago.

And again it's not like I think Tesla does no wrong- they've broken several promises not just that one.... they also promised every buyer of FSD post March 2019 and much of 2020 that they'd have city streets by end of year (the production version, not the beta).... that one in particular I find the best basis for actual legal action though nobody appears to have done much about it so far.

But what they never promised was "everyone who wants the beta will get it"- as I cited in several posts direct from Elons mouth and the wording of the "button" message and initial signup message, what they promised was the opposite of that- a limited release that would go to only a small fraction of eligible people. When it's good enough to go to everyone who wants it, that's the release version.

I'm still not entirely convinced there'll be a wide release version without at least one more driving computer upgrade (though I don't think we'll have a great idea on that until we see what v11/single stack looks like), but that's a whole other thread :)

100% on point.

This statement wasn't a tweet. It was on Tesla.com

All Early FSD purchasers will be allowed in EARLY ACCESS PROGRAM. Only to be told later, "Just kidding, we have too many early access people, but we promise to give you first dibs on all new software. We will even give you a useless $3000 button in your car that makes you feel like you're getting it early" Too damn funny now that I think of it.

16486461839436957001048896367542.jpg

Screenshot_20220330-071801.png

The snippiness thread is the pettiest thing I have ever seen.

100% on point.

This statement wasn't a tweet. It was on Tesla.com

All Early FSD purchasers will be allowed in EARLY ACCESS PROGRAM. Only to be told later, "Just kidding, we have too many early access people, but we promise to give you first dibs on all new software. We will even give you a useless $3000 button in your car that makes you feel like you're getting it early" Too damn funny now that I think of it.

View attachment 787826
View attachment 787827
At least you’re not on V11 😂

Reactions: Cheburashka
No debate here; just a 12/16 MX owner with upgraded cameras that just got pushed 2022.8.2 from 2022.4.5.3. I was so far behind the update queue this time around I thought maybe…but alas, no.
Same for us, being stuck on 2022.4.5.3 had given me some false hope of getting FSD Beta. We got our camera upgrades just a few days after the cutoff for RCCB cars that got in with FSD Beta 10.8. I’m now even more livid that our appointment kept being delayed & that we missed our camera install by just a few days to get into FSD Beta.
Now I am no longer sad but instead very angry!
My car just downloaded 8.2 which means I can now forget about 10.11.1
Us too!

Same for us, being stuck on 2022.4.5.3 had given me some false hope of getting FSD Beta. We got our camera upgrades just a few days after the cutoff for RCCB cars that got in with FSD Beta 10.8. I’m now even more livid that our appointment kept being delayed & that we missed our camera install by just a few days to get into FSD Beta.

Us too!
A mobile tech was at my house installing the cameras just before the last round of invites in late December, but realized he had two of the same B-pillar cameras and couldn't finish. Didn't get the cameras until mid-January and they haven't sent out more invites since.