Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A mobile tech was at my house installing the cameras just before the last round of invites in late December, but realized he had two of the same B-pillar cameras and couldn't finish. Didn't get the cameras until mid-January and they haven't sent out more invites since.

Same here, after two cancelled appoinments, one scheduled at the service center, and two mobile tech appointments, got the RIGHT cameras installed, find out nobody new really getting added into the program. Is frustrating.

What worries me owning a "legacy" car is whether the hardware can even handle FSD. I still get false FCW.

Anyone on this thread actually driving a legacy car that got FSD Beta and is using it? How is it functioning?

Same here, after two cancelled appoinments, one scheduled at the service center, and two mobile tech appointments, got the RIGHT cameras installed, find out nobody new really getting added into the program. Is frustrating.

What worries me owning a "legacy" car is whether the hardware can even handle FSD. I still get false FCW.

Anyone on this thread actually driving a legacy car that got FSD Beta and is using it? How is it functioning?
there are many legacy cars using FSD Beta. I'm at work and can't source my links at the moment, but @scarelli comes to mind. Also AI Driver on Twitter and YouTube.

Yes, I’m using it everyday on a December 2016 MS, and I don’t think it’s performing any worse than the latest production cars using FSD today. The one thing I’ve noticed is that often the IC display of the FSD perceived world will run a little laggy/choppy with animated cars, roads, etc… but my understanding is this is common amongst all FSD cars… but I’ve never been able to directly compare it as I’ve never been in any other FSD cars, only watched videos. But amazingly enough, my more than 5 year old car is driving around the busy streets of Los Angeles with little input from me, other than often stepping on the accelerator to get maneuvers accomplished faster before I get a honk from the impatient people behind me!

Interesting twitter chat with teslascope about installing 2022.8.2 and FSD Beta.
Teslascope insists they have seen instances of "downgrades" to FSD Bata and "Usually not a good practice to hold off on updates"

This is almost certainly wrong.

TECHNICALLY speaking with branches of code, I know they are right. But PRACTICALLY speaking with how Tesla manages firmware deployment it just doesn’t happen that way. The only time a downgrade has occurred was with the huge production issue last year that caused potential dangerous driving issues.

The others exceptions they reference are almost certainly customer registration errors from households with multiple Teslas.

So I just went ahead and installed 8.2 as it looks like 10.11.1 is done rolling and I’m really enjoying the new IC visualizations that closer match the 3/Y. Breathed some new life into the IC finally and is holding me off until beta gets here.. if it gets here.

Last edited:
...PRACTICALLY speaking with how Tesla manages firmware deployment it just doesn’t happen that way. The only time a downgrade has occurred was with the huge production issue last year that caused potential dangerous driving issues...
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 1.02.38 PM.png

Not sure if there's particularly rich data here, but it might suggest otherwise

So I just went ahead and installed 8.2 as it looks like 10.11.1 is done rolling and I’m really enjoying the new IC visualizations that closer match the 3/Y. Breathed some new life into the IC finally and is holding me off until beta gets here.. if it gets here.
Do you know of a thread anywhere with more info about these UI changes? Is there a way to rotate the display like the 3/Y?

Do you know of a thread anywhere with more info about these UI changes? Is there a way to rotate the display like the 3/Y?

Haven’t seen any other posts about it. From what I can tell you can’t rotate the display but visualizations are now slightly larger and the car model shows every status of the car such as open doors, windows, lights on, wheels turned, etc. just like 3/Y parked visualizations.

Haven’t seen any other posts about it. From what I can tell you can’t rotate the display but visualizations are now slightly larger and the car model shows every status of the car such as open doors, windows, lights on, wheels turned, etc. just like 3/Y parked visualizations.
I was going to come here to say the same thing. Was shocked earlier today when I noticed the new visualizations in my MX! Pretty cool.

One thing I noticed - it even shows when you roll the windows down. Pretty nifty animation, and very smooth.

I was going to come here to say the same thing. Was shocked earlier today when I noticed the new visualizations in my MX! Pretty cool.

One thing I noticed - it even shows when you roll the windows down. Pretty nifty animation, and very smooth.

It’s very detailed, when the car is in the parked position and you apply the brakes you can see the area behind the car reflecting the brake lights on the “ground”

Really enjoying this little change.

It’s very detailed, when the car is in the parked position and you apply the brakes you can see the area behind the car reflecting the brake lights on the “ground”

Really enjoying this little change.
The brake light reflection animation has been there for a while I think (while driving). I look at that from time to time to see when the car turns on the brake lights while regening.

Just FYI, looks like you can’t reset your SS anymore. I turned it off last night but the SS was still in the app this morning. Drove around today and no drive was recorded. For science, I opted back in for a quick takeout run and it recorded that drive. Seems you can’t start from scratch again, it’ll remember what your score is but just ignore drives where you’re opted out and then pick up right where you left off when opting back in. No clean slate anymore.

Just FYI, looks like you can’t reset your SS anymore. I turned it off last night but the SS was still in the app this morning. Drove around today and no drive was recorded. For science, I opted back in for a quick takeout run and it recorded that drive. Seems you can’t start from scratch again, it’ll remember what your score is but just ignore drives where you’re opted out and then pick up right where you left off when opting back in. No clean slate anymore.

The game gets even more stressful.

Reactions: pilotSteve

I wouldn’t worry, as long as you only expect performance on your car equal to newer cars. I was one of the “legacy” owners who got it in the 12/30 batch and it seems to work about the same on my 12/16 S as my 1/18 S, which at times isn’t saying much😀 My wife won’t use basic autopilot much less FSD Beta and I don’t blame her. I use the Beta on both cars but it still requires extensive interventions on both cars — about equally.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Just FYI, looks like you can’t reset your SS anymore. I turned it off last night but the SS was still in the app this morning. Drove around today and no drive was recorded. For science, I opted back in for a quick takeout run and it recorded that drive. Seems you can’t start from scratch again, it’ll remember what your score is but just ignore drives where you’re opted out and then pick up right where you left off when opting back in. No clean slate anymore
This might be a good thing if you already have a good score and want to just sit this out for awhile and just enjoy the car again.
@Thepennster could you further the experiment and stay logged out for several days then come back in and see if you get the same results?
I would love to just drive normal for a few months or until I see movement again. If ever.

This might be a good thing if you already have a good score and want to just sit this out for awhile and just enjoy the car again.
@Thepennster could you further the experiment and stay logged out for several days then come back in and see if you get the same results?
I would love to just drive normal for a few months or until I see movement again. If ever.
Yep sure thing. I already opted out again. I’ll report back in a few days. This could be a good strategy to preserve a good score but one thing I don’t know is if Tesla looks at cumulative mileage while opted in, or only at a 30 day window for the required 100 miles to qualify. In other words maybe folks can’t sit out for 8 months because all the old driving history falls off and it looks like there’s no driving. But who knows.

Reactions: lonnielevi