Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has started hyping big improvements to unprotected left turns in beta 10.12. Now that I'm on 2022.8.3, I've lost hope of getting into current beta 10.11.2. I hope beta 10.12 is based off of a 2022.8.3 or later branch so that us production build peasants have a shot at getting into the beta!

@EVNow

I am downloading 11.2 now (2022.4.5.21).
Yes.

So, now we have 1,490 on 10.11.2 installed + pending on Teslafi. That still leaves ~900 on 10.10.2.

Are they going to leave them there - (like they left 2/3rds on 10.8.1 and not move them to 10.9) - or will they move everyone to 10.11.2 - like they did with 10.10.2. Ofcourse 10.10.2 was special because of the "recall".

Then, there is the question of people waiting to get into FSD Beta.

I’m giving up. Sadly. Have now driven manually for 4 months to keep my score at 99 or 100. Now need to commute again. And need autopilot. Yesterday on 30 mile each way with autopilot (almost 100% of the commute) got score of 93. It complaint about hard breaking and close following (I have following distance set to 7). So silly. To get fsd you can’t use autopilot. I’ll opt in again when I see some of us getting fsd. What a wasted 4 months!!!!

And need autopilot. Yesterday on 30 mile each way with autopilot (almost 100% of the commute) got score of 93. It complaint about hard breaking and close following (I have following distance set to 7). So silly. To get fsd you can’t use autopilot. I’ll opt in again when I see some of us getting fsd. What a wasted 4 months!!!!
Your score is being dinged from time before/after you use AP. (i.e. it isn't AP causing you the problems.)

I’m giving up. Sadly. Have now driven manually for 4 months to keep my score at 99 or 100. Now need to commute again. And need autopilot. Yesterday on 30 mile each way with autopilot (almost 100% of the commute) got score of 93. It complaint about hard breaking and close following (I have following distance set to 7). So silly. To get fsd you can’t use autopilot. I’ll opt in again when I see some of us getting fsd. What a wasted 4 months!!!!

Not sure what you're talking about here.

Your score is not dinged at all when using AP. Only when manually driving. If got you dinged for follow distance it was when you, not AP, was controlling the follow distance.

Tesla said:
Unsafe following while on Autopilot is not factored into the Safety Score formula.

and

Tesla said:
Driving on Autopilot (including 3 seconds after Autopilot is disengaged) will not be factored into the Safety Score formula, but the miles driven while on Autopilot are included in the total.

Your score is being dinged from time before/after you use AP. (i.e. it isn't AP causing you the problems.)

Not sure what you're talking about here.

Your score is not dinged at all when using AP. Only when manually driving. If got you dinged for follow distance it was when you, not AP, was controlling the follow distance.

and
Definitely this. Sometimes I'll notice I get dinged for 60% unsafe following during my commute where I'm sure I was using AP, but in all cases, it was always because I spent any amount of time within an unsafe distance of the lead car prior to me activating AP. Usually happens to me during freeway onramps. I've learned to mitigate it by either hanging further back during onramps now, or activating TACC/AP on the onramp.

What you're saying here makes absolutely no sense. It's completely bass-ackwards

welcome to the world of my frustration as well. Have been driving like crazy since SS came out in early September hoping for covering so much road footprint they would admit me to FSD beta but alas! Now with RTO I can't expect to maintain that high score so turned off FSD beta request too.

Definitely this. Sometimes I'll notice I get dinged for 60% unsafe following during my commute where I'm sure I was using AP, but in all cases, it was always because I spent any amount of time within an unsafe distance of the lead car prior to me activating AP. Usually happens to me during freeway onramps. I've learned to mitigate it by either hanging further back during onramps now, or activating TACC/AP on the onramp.
Although AP prevents from dinging but I wouldn't trust it to risk my life.. I used to activate AP when onramp, but this proves to be dangerous and can be deadly. Once I activated AP, it speeds up to 70 rapidly but without the ability to see ahead, what's coming behind from the highway traffic, many times I have to brake or usually AP disengage, once I almost hit by a huge 18 wheelers traveling at 80mph. Having to avoid getting dinged F2C, merge into fast traffic, watching front, back, left, and watch for AP behavior at the same time is just too much. Now, I just try to go out at slower traffic time, find another longer onramp, stay below 50, merge and then activate AP.

On the highway, I constantly have to adjust AP speed to avoid having to use the brake ... far too many times when traffic slows down to 20mph, jerks will suddenly merge into the slightly faster lane, and it's not comfortable to wait/trust AP for serious hard brake... this is just so stressful and certainly not enjoyable. On the city street, I just don't trust AP reacts fast enough ... street is not always straight and flat, I got quite a few HB because to avoid hitting the "stop half of the head out on the street", "dash to make a left turn or stop halfway in the middle", no to mention the aggressive turns for just tiny faster left turn on flashing yellow signal.

Although I maintained a 100 SS and Tesla insurance saved me lots of money, sometimes I doubt whether this is all worth the stress.

Although AP prevents from dinging but I wouldn't trust it to risk my life.. I used to activate AP when onramp, but this proves to be dangerous and can be deadly. Once I activated AP, it speeds up to 70 rapidly but without the ability to see ahead, what's coming behind from the highway traffic,

You do know the system has cameras in every direction right?

The entirety of your post seems to be how you don't trust even basic AP in the simplest situations everyone else has reliably trusted it over billions of miles.... so I've got to wonder why you'd even want FSDBeta, which unlike basic AP actually NEEDS intervention moderately often.

You do know the system has cameras in every direction right?

The entirety of your post seems to be how you don't trust even basic AP in the simplest situations everyone else has reliably trusted it over billions of miles.... so I've got to wonder why you'd even want FSDBeta, which unlike basic AP actually NEEDS intervention moderately often.
Of course I know there are cameras, your ”understanding” miss the point. Trusting AP blindly without gauging the situation is just dumb, will AP makes all emergency stop always in time, if it is so good, then there is no point of asking driver to take over at anytime. Do you take over only when the car tells you so, I hope not. Wanting a test of beta doesn’t mean I have to give away my judgement and let the software to decide
safety of my lIfe, disregarding or not recognizing there is stress is just unrealistic
… you can tell I am not a fan boy

Of course I know there are cameras

Then this sentence does not make much sense

it speeds up to 70 rapidly but without the ability to see ahead, what's coming behind from the highway traffic

Not only can it see ahead, and behind, it can -unlike you- do both at the same time. And see to the sides as well.

In fact if you're in an older car without the beta, it's also looking ahead with radar so it can see thing you can't see.

will AP makes all emergency stop always in time

I expect you're talking about this situation?

]
far too many times when traffic slows down to 20mph, jerks will suddenly merge into the slightly faster lane, and it's not comfortable to wait/trust AP for serious hard brake

Yes- I'd trust it to stop in time. The car reacts faster than you can, and can judge the relative speeds and distance of your car and the one in front of you better than you can too.

So for that situation I'd certainly trust it to stop- and faster than a human can too.

Automated emergency braking systems have drastically reduced accident and injury rates since they were rolled out to cars.

if it is so good, then there is no point of asking driver to take over at anytime.

Of course there is. Because unlike the simple situation you describe, there's many OTHER situations the system doesn't have the ability to handle.

For example- let's say WAY ahead of you- totally safely ahead of you in terms of braking distance if it itself braked-- there's a big rig.

He blows a tire.

Suddenly there's chunks of that tire flying backward at you or laying across parts of the road.

That's beyond the abilities of the car. The human needs to step in to avoid them.

It's the lack of a complete OEDR (the ability to properly recognize and react to all possible objects) that the human has to fill in for.

But for situations the car DOES properly recognize and react to (like guy ahead of me cut me off and is going slower than me) it's fantastic.

if Wanting a test of beta doesn’t mean I have to give away my judgement and let the software to decide safety of my lIfe, disregarding or not recognizing there is stress is just unrealistic

If you find "normal highway driving on AP with someone cutting you off and slowing down in front of you" stressful I'd suggest you insure your will is up to date before trying FSDBeta as it's very likely to cause a stroke.

Because to me driving on regular highway AP is massively less stressful than manual driving.

Whereas FSDBeta... isn't.

Then this sentence does not make much sense

Not only can it see ahead, and behind, it can -unlike you- do both at the same time. And see to the sides as well.

In fact if you're in an older car without the beta, it's also looking ahead with radar so it can see thing you can't see.

I expect you're talking about this situation?

]

Yes- I'd trust it to stop in time. The car reacts faster than you can, and can judge the relative speeds and distance of your car and the one in front of you better than you can too.

So for that situation I'd certainly trust it to stop- and faster than a human can too.

Automated emergency braking systems have drastically reduced accident and injury rates since they were rolled out to cars.

Of course there is. Because unlike the simple situation you describe, there's many OTHER situations the system doesn't have the ability to handle.

For example- let's say WAY ahead of you- totally safely ahead of you in terms of braking distance if it itself braked-- there's a big rig.

He blows a tire.

Suddenly there's chunks of that tire flying backward at you or laying across parts of the road.

That's beyond the abilities of the car. The human needs to step in to avoid them.

It's the lack of a complete OEDR (the ability to properly recognize and react to all possible objects) that the human has to fill in for.

But for situations the car DOES properly recognize and react to (like guy ahead of me cut me off and is going slower than me) it's fantastic.

If you find "normal highway driving on AP with someone cutting you off and slowing down in front of you" stressful I'd suggest you insure your will is up to date before trying FSDBeta as it's very likely to cause a stroke.

Because to me driving on regular highway AP is massively less stressful than manual driving.

Whereas FSDBeta... isn't.

LOL, FSDBeta will cause a heart attack... (BTW I found your comment insulting) I am sure it will be nerve wreckings. I am not saying AP is useless or stressful and zip! What I am saying is trying to maintain SS and at the same time having to be aware of all the surroundings + AP behavior are stressful.
Things do not have to be one side or the other! There are times I enjoy AP but it doesn't mean there aren't times that are not ..., especially during fast and heavy traffic, road irregularity when AP disengages at a dangerous moment. Before SS, no big deal, just take over, now just one more thing to consider. For me, it affects insurance premiums and not just getting beta or not!

I will admit, maintaining the SS causes me to drive in a less safe way in some cases.

Example: I live in a rural area. 2 lane roads with 55mph speed limits, which means everyone drives 60. You get close to a traffic light…. It’s green. But is it going to stay green? You have no idea. Get closer…. Oh Sh**! It just turned yellow. Can I slow down without that stupid hard braking ding? Should I run the light? Ok. Let me try turning on AP cause it will brake hard for me, with no score impact. Damn it! AP won’t engage! Ok. I’m running the light!

That kind of thing happens frequently. The momentary pause while trying to decide between normal driving safety versus maintaining a high score is dangerous.

It has been 3+ months since they announced the camera upgrade, I can't believe Tesla is still doing the camera upgrade on an invite basis.

It was well over a year from when they began upgrading HW2.x cars with FSD to HW3 that they'd done most of the fleet- so this isn't surprising at all.

Especially during a time of significant supply chain shortages, on parts that also have to go into every new car they build.

We bought FSD, we are entitled to get the hardware necessary regardless of how the software thinks about our driving style.

You certainly are. But currently nothing in the wide release version of FSD is different with or without the camera upgrade.

The limited-access beta isn't a paid feature of purchasing FSD, but IS dependent on both owning FSD and having a high enough SS, so since they have to prioritize invites due to limited parts and labor, doing so based on who could get any potential benefit now makes the most sense.

if you're not interested in the beta of course, rushing to get the camera upgrade gains you nothing at all. Likewise getting it when you have a low SS.

It'd be like rushing to get HW3 during all those months that all it did was run emulated 2.x code.

Reactions: outdoors