Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I upgraded FSD yesterday on car #2 (2018 X. Not the vehicle that brought me to this thread).
FWIW the updated vehicle has been in FSD since Dec 2021. It has recently tended to receive updates early in the “public” FSD queue. I haven’t figured out if there’s something causative involved in this timing.

50B45C5E-6A55-492B-A3EF-F50EB150F970.jpeg

We had been doing so well for so long with the Safety Score. We had maintained a 100 score from late October through May, with only a few 99 days here & there. We even had stretches of 30+ days of pure 100s. But now within the last 2 weeks, since supposedly Tesla is about to let ppl in again, we’ve been really screwing it up. And it hasn’t been just my wife lol it’s been me too… 🤦🏼‍♂️ within the last 2 weeks I’ve gotten 2 FCW & she’s gotten 1, we’ve both had hard braking days, I’ve had a day with aggressive turning, and we’ve both had a forced autopilot disengagement. Neither of us had gotten a FCW since early October, and we’ve never had a forced autopilot disengagement before. We’re at 99 right now, in spite of all these issues, but I expect that it’s soon going to drop to 98 or 97 as the 2 straight weeks of 100 days begin to get replaced by these last 2 weeks of bad days… this is incredibly frustrating!! I hope we get FSD Beta soon so we can forget the Safety Score nonsense.
Same here, I have been maintaining overall 100 for months, but one day last week I drove a lot with many trips but in the very last trip of 6 miles got a hard brake dings and that day turns into 98 which drag down the overall score to 99 because of the stupid weighted average calculation. They may have tweaked a little, it seems to be more sensitive, I even got a FCW while cruising at 45mph crossing a railroad track, though it’s not counted since AP is on but it doesn’t make any sense at all.

Reactions: hybridbear
Same here, I have been maintaining overall 100 for months, but one day last week I drove a lot with many trips but in the very last trip of 6 miles got a hard brake dings and that day turns into 98 which drag down the overall score to 99 because of the stupid weighted average calculation. They may have tweaked a little, it seems to be more sensitive, I even got a FCW while cruising at 45mph crossing a railroad track, though it’s not counted since AP is on but it doesn’t make any sense at all.
It definitely seems more sensitive to us, although it really should not be.

I upgraded FSD yesterday on car #2 (2018 X. Not the vehicle that brought me to this thread).
FWIW the updated vehicle has been in FSD since Dec 2021. It has recently tended to receive updates early in the “public” FSD queue. I haven’t figured out if there’s something causative involved in this timing.

View attachment 809672
Sorry to report 2022.12.3.20 isn’t an observable step change improvement. It remains timid and indecisive at many intersections (though spins the steering wheel less while pondering).
Interventions are still warranted on suburban & well marked roads.
It’s still a good 95% solution & I use it at every opportunity.

Another day, and we're blowing it again. I don't understand how we managed to keep 100 for so long with few days that weren't 100 & now it's hard to get a 100 day...

I’ve gotten less FCW over the last month or so. Maybe you’ve just starting being lax about your driving habits because you’re tired of the score? If you haven’t checked my guide yet, it’s worth a read… I’ve got a 100 after 22,000 miles.

I’ve gotten less FCW over the last month or so. Maybe you’ve just starting being lax about your driving habits because you’re tired of the score? If you haven’t checked my guide yet, it’s worth a read… I’ve got a 100 after 22,000 miles.
I'm tired of reading about all the 98,99,100 scores, especially since these numbers haven't mattered for half a year now.

Who out there has the lowest score?! That's way more interesting. LOL.

I'll start....mine is a 0 since I'm not allowed to have a score, even though I paid for FSD over 5 years ago

I'm tired of reading about all the 98,99,100 scores, especially since these numbers haven't mattered for half a year now.

Who out there has the lowest score?! That's way more interesting. LOL.

I'll start....mine is a 0 since I'm not allowed to have a score, even though I paid for FSD over 5 years ago
IMO the MCU2 upgrade is definitely worth $1500, regardless of FSD Beta.
It makes the car feel new with a more responsive interface and so many more features.
It also adds resale value.

Not quite so, the FCW is actually with AP (crossed the same junction 4 times within 2 hours). It’s presumptuous to assume not getting 100 must be someone’s habit; yeah, blame on the user. I have read your post, great stuff and I am already familiar with them !! By the way why not rename SS is a measure of how well one use AP or NOA, fast double tab of the stroke, not really how well one really drives😁😁😁

Last edited:
IMO the MCU2 upgrade is definitely worth $1500, regardless of FSD Beta.
It makes the car feel new with a more responsive interface and so many more features.
It also adds resale value.
Yup I'm a hardcore hold-out...It's $2160 here (Tax and FM radio). I'm just a hold out...Eventually they'll admit that it's not coming to MCU1 and then they'll have to upgrade us. I assume this will happen when FSD Beta goes wide release (aka...no safety score/invite required.

For me the $2160, now, isn't worth a faster interface...pretty much the only thing I would notice. Plus, I'd be too tempted to try out for the stupid safety score like everyone else, even though it doesn't do anything, but take away joy out of driving.

Why pay for FM? Last time I tried to listen to FM was nothing but advertisement I'm actually glad it's not an option lol

It's a whole lot more than just being faster.

If they were to acknowledge that MCU2 is required for FSD beta and you get a free upgrade, those that paid for it would expect a refund.

Reactions: scottf200
Why pay for FM? Last time I tried to listen to FM was nothing but advertisement I'm actually glad it's not an option lol

It's a whole lot more than just being faster.

If they were to acknowledge that MCU2 is required for FSD beta and you get a free upgrade, those that paid for it would expect a refund.
I still use it sometimes. My local talk radio guys are pretty funny. To each their own.

Those that paid for MCU2 will probably be told "you got to enjoy it for years before everyone else...no refund for you". Just my opinion but I'm going to stand by that, because it's Telsa. You remember when they said the FSD price would only go up after you took delivery ($4k instead of $3k at purchase) to just turn around and sell it for $1000 less ($2k), to existing owners? They refused my refund then, even though no FSD features had been delivered.

Those that paid for MCU2 will probably be told "you got to enjoy it for years before everyone else...no refund for you". Just my opinion but I'm going to stand by that, because it's Tesla.
I think you're right about this, unfortunately for those who have paid. We weren't willing to pay when it was $2500, but we did buy MCU2 shortly after the price dropped to $1500. That price drop was also shortly after a road trip where we had experienced multiple failures with MCU1, even though we already had the upgraded 64 GB eMMC. At about 1/3 of our Supercharger stops on that trip MCU1 would freeze & lock up while supercharging. This prevented us from seeing current charge level, charging speed, and time remaining. Since MCU1 would take almost 10 minutes to reboot it was really inconvenient when trying to minimize time spent charging.

Seems like a really super slow rollout, and no new people are being let in yet.

That said, I’m also holding out hope too. At least things are moving in the right direction.

Exactly. Current testers are definitely getting this update more slowly than past updates but that's not necessarily a bad sign.
As usual and expected we still have to wait for all the pre-safety score people to get it and AP team to make sure there's no egregious errors.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka