Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first FSD Beta drive and it definitely made some mistakes lol. But it also did some stuff REALLY well. So impressive.

Glad to see you got it after all this time and your many posts :) Regarding your comment that it did some stuff really well... I got the update (my third one) at the same time my neighbor got it for the first time. I went out with him to see if it is any better than my last previous updates, so I told him what route to take. I was impressed that for the first time in our area, it did surprisingly well (and perfect) at a really complex left turn onto a four lane highway (2 lanes in each direction) where traffic is very heavy in both directions. It crept and entered at just the right time with the right speed. It was impressive because I have never had luck at that location. But yeah, it still takes round-abouts and turns onto other streets a bit too aggressively for what I like. And yea, still some jerky wheel movements at stops sometimes, but I see improvement with each update.

The one thing I wish would get fixed that has never worked well for me is in some of our residential areas where there are no lane markings, it has always wanted to drive down the middle of the road until it sees a car coming. Sometimes an oncoming car would flash lights to let me know they are coming as they see the car in the middle of the road. FSD clearly is seeing the edges of the road and knows it is in the middle of the road. It seems to know that it is a two-way street that is really wide, yet prefers to drive down the middle anyway.

I used to say that FSD was kind of like a Clint Eastwood movie (a combination of Good, Bad, and Ugly). It has gotten much better with each update so now it is more like "Hang'em High". :)

EDIT: and to add the "Hang'em High" comment is more of a joke comment. The updates do get much better each time, but still have a long way to go.

Last edited:
I had my first FSD Beta drive. My driving is more like Chill. Tesla's FSD seemed pretty aggressive to me. I bailed out multiple times because I was worried it would go through the intersection based on the speed it approached the intersection. I built up areas it drives too fast (30 mph) in my community my house is. I drive more like 20 mph. Second it drives right in the center of the road in unmarked lane. When I navigated to my work, it took me to the correct place. My office is on service road, but the address is of the main road. But with FSD it just stopped me on the main busy road. So clearly the navigation system steps are completely different for FSD. I think, for now, I will be using FSD only late nights and early morning until I have more confidence in the system and feel comfortable. I have some interstate travel next week and I will try out the FSD Beta on the freeway. I hope it does not do too many lane changes. In the non FSD version I could require Tesla to ask me. I am not sure if I get that option in FSD. I will need to check out. To those who have not tried it as yet, right stock once is autopilot. Two clicks on the right stock engages FSD, but no autosteer. Lastly to get to FSD, you have to go and enable it and accept all the conditions of use. One has to keep eyes on road and hands too otherwise one get their first strike of 5 allowed.

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd
Still waiting…. 2017 MS with FSD, upgraded computer and cameras, 100 SS with more than enough miles. No update. Car says my software is current as of May 26th. Not sure if that’s the problem or not. Can’t get it to say that it is current as of today.
Do you have enough miles using AP? I’m wondering if that’s my issue. I just put the 100+ miles on in AP the last couple of days as I was driving without it to keep miles up that are scored. I have over 1k miles last 30 days 98 SS upgraded cameras and no luck. Anyone else besides us meet all the criteria and not let in on this wave?

Reactions: Mark II