Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the newly announced Tesla price increases I was thinking about how lucky I got lol
I bought my 2016 Model S in April 2021 for $37,990. Add tax and the infotainment HW3 upgrade and the cost is $41,500.

I'm only missing the upgraded seats, upgraded sound, glass roof, and extra range compared to a brand new one for an extra $65,000 AND I have free premium connectivity and free unlimited supercharging.
I'd say it's absolutely worth the savings and my car is probably worth thousands more now than when I bought it!
Old is gold! :)

Story/vent time:

My model s with the camera upgrades done has been in the FSD beta for a few months now. However, about a month ago, I got an altert that my “cameras needed to be aligned” and AP/FSD stopped working. I was on the road at the time, and not having AP was annoying, so I tried resetting the camera calibration. This worked for about another week, but then the error came back.

So I booked a SC appointment. Brought the car in Monday. They just let me know yesterday evening that my car was “all set” and reported replacing the triple cam.

But… they installed the old RCCC cameras🤬.. and are insisting to at it’s the correct camera for the car because they did a VIN lookup. This is the same SC that just a few months ago took this camera out of the car to put the new RCCB one in 🤦‍♂️

Wish me luck getting this fixed; really hope they don’t boot me from the FSD beta for having the wrong cameras installed now…

Story/vent time:

My model s with the camera upgrades done has been in the FSD beta for a few months now. However, about a month ago, I got an altert that my “cameras needed to be aligned” and AP/FSD stopped working. I was on the road at the time, and not having AP was annoying, so I tried resetting the camera calibration. This worked for about another week, but then the error came back.

So I booked a SC appointment. Brought the car in Monday. They just let me know yesterday evening that my car was “all set” and reported replacing the triple cam.

But… they installed the old RCCC cameras🤬.. and are insisting to at it’s the correct camera for the car because they did a VIN lookup. This is the same SC that just a few months ago took this camera out of the car to put the new RCCB one in 🤦‍♂️

Wish me luck getting this fixed; really hope they don’t boot me from the FSD beta for having the wrong cameras installed now…
OMG. Thanks for the info. Might come in handy if others need cameras replaced.

Story/vent time:

Very frustrating and unfortunate! Bring a copy of the final invoice from your retrofit appointment to the SC and ask them to replace with the same part number.

Reactions: pilotSteve
To make matters worse, they aren't answering any messages in the app nor are they answering the phone. Don't you just love tesla service???? Going to have to drive 1.5hrs there and back to talk in person and sort this out it seems :/
Bummer. Actually I do love Tesla service in my area, but yeah, I understand it sucks in many locations. I've had great experiences in the few times I've wanted to have them do something. Hoping it gets better for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
I probably have their email address from previous visits in my inbox somewhere.. but it's just as easy to ignore an email as it is a phone call or app message ;-)

Regardless, I finally got ahold of my service advisor... They admitted the tech put the wrong camera in the car, but defended it saying that my car "was not updated in their system to show that I had paid for FSD" (Which is... very odd??). They even said they "checked with corporate" and had no record (whatever that means??).

The advisor asked me to send over the FSD upgrade invoice (which I downloaded from my tesla account and emailed over...) and will now apparently put the correct camera in... Hopefully get my car back tomorrow if all goes well 🤞

One thing I don't understand about this situation though: Even if I didn't pay for FSD, why would you downgrade the cameras in a customer's car and then refuse to correct the issue?

The whole thing is very odd... this is the same SC that didn't properly mount (at least one) of the b-pillar cameras when they upgraded them, so they're definitely not winning any awards in my book :/ Sadly, they're the only one around here with any appointment availability <2months out. I guess there's a reason for that :-/

“Camera alignent required”
Hello, just had my cameras upgraded last week. Right after; I had to calibrate the cameras to get autopilot to work. I then got the FSD beta today. I’m getting “camera alignment required”, and autopilot is not working anywhere.

Anyone else had this? Does software camera calibration work or would it need to go back to service center to physically calibrate the cameras? Frustrating! Thank you.

“Camera alignent required”
Hello, just had my cameras upgraded last week. Right after; I had to calibrate the cameras to get autopilot to work. I then got the FSD beta today. I’m getting “camera alignment required”, and autopilot is not working anywhere.

Anyone else had this? Does software camera calibration work or would it need to go back to service center to physically calibrate the cameras? Frustrating! Thank you.
I know that FSD Beta requires additional camera calibration beyond standard AP. The only suggestion I have is to enable FSD Beta (if possible), then go into the Services menu and reset camera calibration again, and drive on a multi-lane freeway/highway in the center lane for quickest calibration. Mine takes about 5 miles. You'll notice that AP will calibrate first, then FSD requires a little more time to calibrate.

I know that FSD Beta requires additional camera calibration beyond standard AP. The only suggestion I have is to enable FSD Beta (if possible), then go into the Services menu and reset camera calibration again, and drive on a multi-lane freeway/highway in the center lane for quickest calibration. Mine takes about 5 miles. You'll notice that AP will calibrate first, then FSD requires a little more time to calibrate.
Thank you for the advice. Did that and still getting the error message. Scheduled mobile service appointment.

Reactions: Dewg
Yes, after I had the cameras upgraded, there was a calibration period that needed to be done for about 15 minutes.

My X Software config page displays "Your car software is up to date as of Jun 9 1:00 pm". When I navigate to the "Sofware" page, it shows "checking for updates" and then back to "up to date as of Jun 9". I've tried various reboots, power off, Standard/Advanced, disconnecting and reconnecting WiFis, connecting to phone hot spot - nothing gets past Jun 9.

My last update was on Jun 6 to 12.3.16, 100 SS with at least few hundred miles on AP

Has anyone run into this or has any recommendations hot to get update going in hopes to finally get FSD Beta?

Reactions: Dr Doom
My X Software config page displays "Your car software is up to date as of Jun 9 1:00 pm". When I navigate to the "Sofware" page, it shows "checking for updates" and then back to "up to date as of Jun 9". I've tried various reboots, power off, Standard/Advanced, disconnecting and reconnecting WiFis, connecting to phone hot spot - nothing gets past Jun 9.

My last update was on Jun 6 to 12.3.16, 100 SS with at least few hundred miles on AP

Has anyone run into this or has any recommendations hot to get update going in hopes to finally get FSD Beta?
There’s a few threads on this in the software forum. It appears to be a bug with just the text (ie it is really checking). I had the same issue and then one day it updated me to FSD beta.

Software update - Stuck on last check date